Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can't get seatpost in following a powder coating
  • BoardinBob

Got my frame back from the powder coaters last week and went to rebuild it today. The seatpost wont go in. Initially there was some powder coat around the top lip of the seattube so I sanded that off and cleaned it up but it still wouldn't go in. A look inside the seat tube uncovered some shotblast stuff stuck to the inside so I cleaned that all out but it still won't go in. It gets in about an inch then gets stuck. I'm able to hammer it in then hammer it back out. I sanded down the seatpost but it didn't help.

My concern is could the powder coating and subsequent baking in the oven have warped the frame?

As a solution I'm thinking a narrower seatpost and a shim???

trail_rat
    Free Member

is you frame carbon? if not i wouldnt worry about warping it …

its plastic coated – not exactly a high temperature to aluminium ….

go to your local GOOd bike shop and have them ream the tube to your seat post size ….

BoardinBob

The powder coaters made a bit of an arse of it and I took it to the LBS last week to get the bottom bracket faced. The amount of shot in the BB destroyed their BB tool so I don't think I'll be too welcome if I appear tomorrow again! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

more fool them for using their bb tool on a powdercoated facing …..

you use a stanley blade at circa a quid to remove the majority of the powder coat clean it with air then you face the frame once most of its off !

Wally

I also used a compressor to blow all the grit/paint out of the frame. A huge amount came out.

geoffj

Didn't someone on here have a fullsuss frame powdercoated that came back warped to buggery? Pictures were posted from before and after. Prolly on the old forum though.

jond
    Free Member

>bb tool on a powdercoated facing

Sounds more like it was grit in the threads rather than the powdercoat itself causing a problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

try non selective quoting ….

jonb
    Free Member

The powder coating will be no trouble for something designed to cut metal.

The shot/grit blasting may have warped the tube. I've seen it bend 4mm steel panels at work so a thin tube is easily possible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can't get seatpost in following a powder coating’ is closed to new replies.