Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can't get seat post in!
  • squealer
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, I had to cut a carbon seat post out of my ibis mojo because it got stuck.

I’ve got a reverb to replace it and now it Wont go in! I’ve tried a Thomson as well which also didn’t fit.

They seem to go in about 7cm which is the length of the alloy insert in the seat tube and then wont go past that.

Any ideas?

ojom
    Free Member

Did you cut all the old post out?

mtbfix

Have you shined a torch down the tube to see what is causing the obstruction? I presume the old post went in fine beyond 7cm?

Edit: ‘shined’, get me and my crumby grasp of the lingo.

squealer
    Free Member

Yep cut it out.

ojom
    Free Member

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure there is no alloy insert. Well there wasn’t in my Mojo or my current HD anyway.

Can you clarify?

squealer
    Free Member

Yep shone torch down and there’s nothing there. After the insert the tube widens to To the seat tube size. The seat tube doesnt even touch the frame because of the insert.
    There no noise when I the post stops so I’m certain it’s not hitting anything.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What size is the reverb (diameter)?

squealer
    Free Member

It’s a standard mojo, not sl or hd and has an alloy insert.
    It’s gone off the ibis site now but this link refers to the carbon insert of the sl so I’m alnostcertain it’s alloy in mine

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_sl/#details

squealer
    Free Member

It’s a 31.6. Def right size

ojom
    Free Member

It’s not the rivet holding the front cable guide causing it is it? I have seen that once on a seat tube.

squealer
    Free Member

Just been and checked and nope it’s not that.

It just seems to go so far and then get stuck, like the posts get wider as they get nearer the seat clamp end.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Can you borrow a different 31.6mm seatpost?

squealer
    Free Member

Ivetried two already, the reverb and a Thompson which both fit fine in another frame.

It was a 31.6 ritchey that was cut out that was stuck for a year or so.
    I can only think it’s something that’s happened when cutting out the old one.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Try greasing the post, and twisting it as you push it in – if it’s tight.

squealer
    Free Member

Greased, pushed, sworn already! Off to the lbs tomorrow for some reaming time…..

06awjudd
    Free Member

Good idea, the last thing you want to happen is to damage the post or frame out of frustration!

squealer
    Free Member

Got it faced today and its fine. Build up of grime appears to have been the problem.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can't get seat post in!’ is closed to new replies.