Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can't get my chainring bolts tight enough – help!
  • djen83
    Free Member

Ive got a RaceFace Atlas chainset with a RaceFace outer and Deore middle. Ever since I got the Deore middle I have not been able to tighten up the chainring bolts enough to stop the system creaking when peddling. The bolt seems to protrude from the end of the nut when tightened which is stopping me using one of those tools to grip the nut.

The only thing I can think of getting is a single speen bolt and nut set – but I’ve got a feeling this may be too short!?

Anybody had a similar experience!?

Help!

Dave.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You could try using a washer or two between the rear nut and the chainring. Halfords do a pack of 10 which will fit; think it’s a 8 or 10mm internal diameter. I have done this when having exactly this problem (using a thinner steel chainring in place of a thicker alloy one) and it works.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got the same problem on my singlespeed, been driving me mad, have to tighten ’till they almost shear off. SS bolts will be too short to cope with more than 1 ring, they’re only just long enough for the one. I’ve currently got some stainless steel single ring bolts with loads of copper grease, but they still creak – roll on winter – when the mud seems to provide some form of lubrication and they go quiet.

bighendo
    Free Member

i got around this with a tiny dab of grinding paste (anything similar will do) on the outside of the slotted half…..
    so, as you tighten the opposite side with the allen key, the grit affords some friction and will bite,
    dont overtighten, they will shear easy
    and for complete reliability, don`t use more than twice, fit a new set 🙂

Trailseeker
    Free Member

New chainring bolts cured this for me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can get different chain ring nut/bolt depths – are they too deep?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Had this problem a whiule ago using middleburn & blackspire rings on xtr cranks. There are a few differnt lengths of chain ring bolts and the sleeve nuts. If the sleeve nuts are too long the bolt tightens on the nut before clamping the chain ring. I ended up having to buy some more and then file the nuts down (shorter) so the rings were clamped tight to the arms.

bigrich

copper washers.

djen83
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, trying the washer one first – will feedback how that goes!

cynic-al
    Free Member

enough grease should sort it IMO/E

djen83
    Free Member

New £5 RaceFace steel chain rings seems to have sorted it. Is there any decent tools out there to grip the sleeve thing?

charliedontsurf
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can't get my chainring bolts tight enough – help!’ is closed to new replies.