Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can't find a Blur 4X to buy – What second hand frame?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve been hunting for a Blur 4x frame (in large – I’ve found some mediums) for a couple of weeks or so and have failed. Whilst I could continue the hunt / wait, I’ve done a few searches to see how often they appear and it appears to pretty much never. So what should I look out for instead?

Basic requirement is to give my slightly dodgy ankle an easier time than it currently gets on my hard tail (Marin Rocky Ridge) when doing small jumps and singletrack. I really like the geometry of the Marin (~22.5 ish effective head tube, 16 inch seat tube, 67 head angle with Fox 32 140mm, 43 inch wheel base) but wouldn’t really want to go any smaller (i’m 6 foot). Other things to consider:

– Not too much overlap with my over bike (Santa Cruz Nomad – lyrics, coil shock etc) probably 5 inches of travel
    – Weighs less than 30lb
    – XCable
    – Won’t break if I take it off small jumps / drops (nothing bigger than 4ft to flat, or 5/6ft to a decent landing) – I don’t weigh that much for my height
    – Feels good in the air
    – Will work ok with my current forks (Fox Float 32 140mm)
    – Needs to take my dropper seatpost (30.9mm post)

I almost brought a 09 Marin Wolf Ridge a week ago, but didn’t. Wondering if I made the correct decision – can you get them under 30lb with decent tyres (e.g. 2.35 High Rollers)

Obviously, if anyone does have a Blur 4X (or maybe a LT) they want to sell me, let me know (ewan at ewanpanter dot co dot uk)

Ewan
    Free Member

bump – anyone?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Giant Trance? Specialized SX? something by Banshee bikes or Transition bikes?

momo

Hang on for a 4x, I did and love mine. I wanted a large – I’m 6’1″ – and ended up with a medium and find it just the right size for me now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wanted a large – I’m 6’1″ – and ended up with a medium and find it just the right size for me now.

What happened?

Did you shrink?

Ewan
    Free Member

Not sure the medium will cope with XC stuff. It’d be a good inch and a bit shorter than my marin is at the moment – and that’s pretty much on the limit anyway…

Large ones never come up…

Not sure about a SX, that’d weigh more than my Nomad and have the same amount of travel. Trance X might be an option if I can find one.

Rickos
    Free Member

Kona Howler? I’ve got one and it’s ace fun and sounds like what you’re after. Prolly up for sale in the New Year though.

Trail Centre Razzer by Rick T., on Flickr

Ewan
    Free Member

What size is your howler rick? never heard of them before…

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have a medium white Chumba XCl frame, new with RP23 Boost valve for £899?

P4030007 by srbwilson, on Flickr

racing_ralph
    Free Member

rickos – frame only? £? what size?

Rickos
    Free Member

Mine’s a medium 15.5 inch seat-tube. 23 inch top tube (or thereabouts) and a 44 inch wheelbase, so plenty long enough. I’ve been running it more recently with a 190mm shock to lower and slacken it a touch and it works really well. Very easy to loft the front, in fact easiest bike I’ve ever ridden to get the front up, which just makes it a good laugh. It’s 4 inch travel and they only did them in ’06 and ’07 IIRC as their 4X bike (’06 was red). You can’t run a front mech though, so that may scupper your XC tendencies. Round here in the FoD and on the Welsh trail centres I don’t need a granny ring though.

Rob – it’ll be a bike split most likely unless someone wants the whole bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’d recommend a prophet, mine is around 27lbs climbs really nice and descends as well as my old dh bike, cracking frame indeed, much prefer it to my old heckler as its not so cramped.

nukeproof mega looks really nice too!!!

Ewan
    Free Member

Prophet’s frame has too small a seat tube i’m afraid.

Semi tempted by the chumba – anyone got one? The medium looks like a bit of a gate but the angles stack up…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i want that chumba!

Swalsey
    Free Member

Orange ST4? Just a thought.

bobodaclown

Hi Ewan,
    Just seen this, I have for sale a Santa Cruz Blur 4X frame BRAND NEW size Large Powder Coat Orange, Fox RP23 shock.

I’m selling due to having too many bikes and moving house I need to get rid of a few and this one I never got round to building up.

These were £1200 in the shops I will take £800 ono(nothing too silly as this is BRAND NEW) offer posted for it. I don’t want to swap for anything.

Let me know.

hora
    Free Member

Bobaclown I’m interested but as your new to stw I’ll drive/meet you within 50miles of manchester. No post- too risky after IWH target-sold items on here.

bobodaclown

Hi Hora,
    I’ve sent you an email regarding the frame I have for sale and mailed you pictures.

Thanks
    D

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can't find a Blur 4X to buy – What second hand frame?’ is closed to new replies.