Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can't decide on XC / Trail 29er wheelset
  • cheers_drive

I’m looking for a new wheelset for my Canyon Nerve 29er for mostly XC use at Thetford and Woburn with some occasional Welsh trail centres.

Needs to be sub 1800g with at least 23mm internal rim, so far I’ve narrowed it down to:
    -DT Swiss 350 on Ryde trace trail, laser spokes, £490 – 1600g – Handbuilt by a fairly local wheel builder that I’ve used before. Wheelbuilders seem to like this rim but I’ve heard mixed reports about them being soft and difficult to use tubeless.
    -American classic MTB – £470 – 1600g – Seem to get good reviews.
    -Light Bicycle 30mm Hookless carbon rims with Novatec hubs and pillar spokes. Approx £470 inc tax and duty, 1700g. Built by LB – not sure how good their builds are and no local support if any issues.
    – Light Bicycle rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs and laser spokes. Approx £550, 1550g. Hubs from Germany, spokes and build by local wheel builder.

At the moment I’m erring toward the American Classics on reputation and will be less hassle than the LB options.

For reference I run 2.2 Geax Goma / Suguaro tyres. I’m 100kg kitted up but I’m fairly light on wheels having never pringled one.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

100Kg? id say you would be better off on a wide carbon rim, than a skinny alu rim

carbon LB on DT 350 – 240 if your feeling spendy

why are LB more hassle? because they don’t come built? all it takes is 3 separate web orders and taking to a shop, hardly hassle,

id wait for the rims to arrive before ordering spokes so you can double check the ERD

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Merlin have older Stans flows in white though for a pair at £47.95 which is dirt cheap as I’m sure you’ll agree.

Ok so mine arrived with some paint scrapes out of the side wall profile.

then choose hubs and get a decent wheelbuilder to sort you out and bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt.

cheers_drive

I think the alu rims listed are as wide as the LB carbon one, but I have heard that carbon rims are stiffer.

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure if this is of any interest – Sport Pursuit have some USE wheels on sale:
    USE
    Nano Tech 29″ MTB Carbon Clincher Wheel Set
    £ 624.99 (were £1250!)

Email me for a £10 off voucher if you fancy them 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve some Ryde trace xc rims and for fast xc and trail centres I find them fine and I’m no lightweight. If you like to jump a bit or ride somewhere really rocky then no,at least with the xc rims. I had to trim a bit if rubber of the tubeless valve to make it fit the rim but the went up fine with Stans tape so not really a problem going tubless.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

DezB, there is a weight limit even more so than the Rovals so doubt it will suit the op.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Plus it seems the Op thinks he wants stiff carbon rims when in fact I don’t think he actually knows what the real benefits are from a carbon rim.

that coupled with the fact a carbon rim can be too stiff and that it can cause tyre roll which will be the next bloody topic for talk 🙄

qwerty
    Free Member

Hope Pro II with WTB KOM i23 or i25 width?

cheers_drive

hopeychondriact – Member
    Plus it seems the Op thinks he wants stiff carbon rims when in fact I don’t think he actually knows what the real benefits are from a carbon rim.

You are correct, I’m not what the benefits are if it’s not stiffness?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can't decide on XC / Trail 29er wheelset’ is closed to new replies.