Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cant decide help, towbar carrier
  • pendlechris
    Free Member

Looking for a bike carrier for towbar, want something strong easy to use that will hold 2 or 3 bikes, would be nice to still have access to boot, I know whats about but what do you all use and how do you rate them…

ji
    Free Member

I use the £99 from Halfords Thule one. Quick, stable and easy to fit, dirt cheap, 3 bikes. Only complaint is that it doesn’t lock to the ball, but a bike cable lock to the car sorts that.

forge197
    Free Member

thule g5 904 with the 9041 third bike adaptor, quick to fit locks to towball and east to fit bikes. Doesn’t fall into the dirt cheap category.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just bought a Thule Euroway off Ebay, here –

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120370689859

That price is £100 less than RRP and a bit of a bargain IMO. It was by far the cheapest I could find anywhere.

Although it’s not cheap, if you look at the Thule site their cheaper racks have a pretty low weight limit per bike, and my Pitch is just over that limit. This is a lot sturdier.
    🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Hi i use the Thule from Halfords to, and it is great, about ji’s comment about it not locking to the towball you can buy an optional towbar lock, which fits onto its clamp and locks it to the towball,

forge197
    Free Member

The weight limit is worth checking the rack I have will take up to 51kg over three bikes with a tow ball capacity of 70kg+.

But the Thule manuals are pretty good at listing this sort of detail, and the limits for each towball capacity.

As an side of all the methods I’ve used to transport the bikes the towbar has been the best of all.

The only negative I’ve found is that when the roads are salty the bike gets coated if you do a motorway run.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But the Thule manuals are pretty good at listing this sort of detail, and the limits for each towball capacity.

Yep, it’s worth reading up on the specs for each rack

nickc

Also got the Halfords/Thule one. Good rack overall, but the supplied plug was a piece of crap, had to replace it with a proper one.

mattjng
    Free Member

I have got a Thule 9502 2 bike rack going cheap if you are interested.
    I bought it in anticipation of fitting a tow bar which turned out not to be possible. I have used it on another car but now it is just sitting gathering dust.
    Like this one

steveh

Aiston without doubt. I had a pendle wheel support before one of these and have used a thule as well and this is better built than any of them. It’s like a pendle wheel support but better in everyway.

http://www.aisontcycleracks.co.uk

There isn’t that much info on the site but give them a call. best racks ever.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Steve, that link doesn’t work….for me anyway

Have you spelt it correctly?

🙂

pendlechris
    Free Member

mattjng how much for the carrier could you e mail me

steveh

Yup fair point!

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

I was busy or err something

MikeWW
    Free Member

I’ve got the Thule 3 bike rack from Halfords as well
    Works really well-very quick to fit and does what you’d expect

Wiksey
    Free Member

Second the Aiston. Much better that the Thule it replaced, sturdy, strong, cheap and built by some bloke in his garage all of which should appeal to the STW massive!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cant decide help, towbar carrier’ is closed to new replies.