Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Can’t bring myself to go to the gym
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

joined about a month ago and i think i’ve been twice, just can’t muster up the inclination to go.

want to go out on the bike but it’s far too windy to be fun

coffeeking
    Free Member

I could never bring myself to go to the gym without a mate to “compete” with. Total waste of money in my case too.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it’s far too windy to be fun

there we have it – you are a tart 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gym + lunchtime = yummy mummies + lycra

Gym + evening = Yet more niceness in lycra

What’s not to like?

*Packs kit bag for gym this evening….*

coffeeking
    Free Member

boring effort expense, better suited to being expended in the fields/hills instead of simply heating a room.

sharki
    Free Member

Stand nekid in front of a mirror, look at youself from all angles, if you don’t like it use it as motivation…

If that doesn’t work, think of all the ladies there having their last minute rush to look good for the summer..

woody2000

You are precisely the kind of person the gyms rely on when overselling their memberships 🙂

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

I have always loved the gym, once I get there. The hardest bit is dragging my lazy ass down there in the first place.

This is becoming harder and harder, evidenced by my formerly decent physique now being more fat than formidable.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I used to have a serious motivation problem with the gym, but I’m giving it a fair crack at the moment. What I’ve found to help is

1) Sharki’s first point

2) Having a target that I want to look good better for. For me holidays at the end of June. I’ve no shame in saying I’m going for aesthetic rather than health benefits.

3) Picking a time to go that suits you. I’ve started going in the morning, first thing before work. If you can force yourself out of bed, then it’s done for the day. This means that you can enjoy the post gym ‘high’ for the rest of the day and secondly you’re not sitting at your desk all day dreading having to go. Can mean a more productive working day too with all the endorphins and adrenaline.

4) Get a program that suits you. I’ve got one that I only need to go in twice a week. It’s a good amount for me and because I need to maximise the rest days between the sessions, which makes me go on the days I should (Tues and Fri). I don’t have to go mondays which can be hard after the weekend, if I don’t go tuesday then I’ll not rest enough before Fridays session. And go friday you’ll look pumped for the ladies on friday night! 😉

toby1

Screw the gym fees, go for a run, straight out the door, no faffing around, or go for a swim.

As ourkidsam says first thing in the morning gets it over and done with the for the day leaves you free to enjoy yourself in the evening.

Guys, all this talk of checking out the ladies in lycra, you are a disgrace, I would never condone such actions, oh and names and locations of all the gyms you use please 😛

lcj

Don’t go lardboy, get fat, see if we care. It’ll be your conscience next time you tuck into a burger or chocolate 😈

footstomper
    Free Member

I am hoping to get back to the gym pretty soon, it was costing too much as the wife, daughter & son where all at Uni so no other money coming in.
    Wife = graduated starts work as a nurse next week
    Daughter = graduated working as a teacher
    Son = graduated hoping to get into fire management soon

So should be able to start back sooner rather than later. As with others it can be a chore to get motivated but once at the gym you soon get high on endorphins, and whats better than a 2 hour workout followed by 50+ laps in the pool and to finish off with a sauna & jacuzzi 😛 😛

woody2000

and whats better than a 2 hour workout followed by 50+ laps in the pool and to finish off with a sauna & jacuzzi

2 hours on the bike followed by a couple of beers and a shower 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would rather be fat than go to the gym
    I would rather be dead than fat

coffeeking
    Free Member

You dont stand a chance of being fat sfb – you’re a whippet.

aleigh
    Free Member

only you can make yourself go i’m afraid! if you don’t want to go, cancel the membership.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You dont stand a chance of being fat sfb

just as well really :o)

only you can make yourself go i’m afraid!

uh, sudden U turn – which gym might YOU be going to aleigh ??

Count
    Free Member

Exercise is addictive but you need to get the addicted point to really enjoy it. The gym for the first few times is going to seem a bit odd and probably a bit intimidating. I would suggest you set yourself a mtfu target and decide to go to the gym at least 2-4 times a week for the next 6 weeks. Coupled with a sensible diet, that is enough time to see and feel a difference. It’s also enough time to adapt to a new routine and feel comfortable with the surroundings.

If you still hate it, quit and do something else. Chances are though, by then you’ll enjoy the gym and end up a regular.

On any CV machines, I have to have some music but don’t use an iPod for weights, it trashes form and loses concentration imho. I have been a regular at the gym for ages and would say I am hooked but I still find motivation hard on the odd time.

There are some real lycra bunnies in my place lunchtimes so that helps, nothing like a sweaty whale tail to keep you coming back for more…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Wife = graduated starts work as a nurse next week
    Daughter = graduated working as a teacher
    Son = graduated hoping to get into fire management soon

smart family! well done.

Now drop and give me 50.

I was a gym junkie when i worked in one but haven’t used one in couple of years, getting out for a run, swim or cycle are so much more fun. Although being able to use a weights room would be handy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Coupled with a sensible diet

that doesn’t sound like much fun 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

Duncan Bannatyne didn’t get rich from people using his gyms…

Count
    Free Member

a sensible diet is fine, it’s just a good balance and not an excess of calories. If you think that is awful then go ahead and have the excess of calories and deal with the consequences.

I try and eat sensibly but still have take out/KFC now and then – just not all the time. If I let it slide then Mrs Count might too and to my mind that really doesn’t sound like much fun.

zaskar
    Free Member

I used to run 8 miles, weights and do martial arts in the evening as I was an exercise junkie.

I only have time to train a few times a week now so I quit my gym membership and ride more istead of using the car for work or shopping etc.
    Weight went up too so back in training on the bike and weights.

Wear the right gear and you won’t notice it cold.

Mentally prep yourself it’s windy and add the time-hey it’s great training!

Personally I like group riding but solo training is fun too.

Just have a goal and work towards it.

Sort out some fave gym tunes. Keep a training diary.

Or quit the membership and ride in a group.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i cant be arsed riding solo all that much

bring on group and night rides in Derby 😀

scaredypants

stand naked in front of a mirror ?

how would I ever tear myself away to go down the gym ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

how would I ever tear myself away to go down the gym ?

yeah, all that broken glass and bare feet 🙁

aleigh
    Free Member

only you can make yourself go i’m afraid!

uh, sudden U turn – which gym might YOU be going to aleigh ??

I used to go, I don’t now as it’s free to run and bike outside! 😆 I can be seen running around Swindon like mad woman…….so catch me if you can 😉 😆

scaredypants

yeah, all that broken glass and bare feet

🙁 , indeed !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so catch me if you can

given your aversion to pedalling shouldn’t be too difficult…

(I nearly put ‘hard’ but changed it 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

I have you know Mr Barnes I have cracked it and don’t walk as much! 😉

BUT in saying that, I’m going to Cwm Carn soon and I know for a fact I WILL be walking 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have you know Mr Barnes I have cracked it

sorry to hear that sweetie get well soon eh ?

aleigh
    Free Member

LOL – you’re almost on top form this evening…………. 😉

ourmaninthenorth

want to go out on the bike but it’s far too windy to be fun

Just as well you don’t live in Belgium. Mind you, maybe it’s because it’s windy that the naiton produces so many great cyclists….

NZCol

or Wellington…..
    Always cracks me up to walk past Les Mills on a scorching, perfect day and see 20 peopel lined up on treadmills running looking out the window. A 2 minute run would take you to the waterfront where you can run, for free, in tne fresh air. Weird.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You’ll be fine at Cwmcarn Aleigh, nothing as difficult there as the chimney. The climb is the most difficult bit, but we might be bypassing that (riding up the road, not getting a taxi!)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Can’t bring myself to go to the gym’ is closed to new replies.