Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can't believe I'm doing this but….. tyre suggestions for a Pompetamine?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Pompetamine frame has arrived and I’ve got nearly everything to build it up but can’t decide on tyres.
    It’s for a little dude who’s only 5′ so I’m fitting 26″ wheels to start with. 90% of it’s use is going to be on the road but there should be a bit of easy off-road as well.
    So, what tyre’s going to be light, fast rolling, have a bit of grip for firetrails AND fit a Pompetamine frame (45mm max I think)?

cynic-al
    Free Member

32mm SB8 or similar. Boroughs come up wider (42 and 45 IIRC) but are heavier I think.

You really don’t need much knobs off road.

craigxxl
    Free Member

On 700c I’m just getting a Schwalbe Marathon in 35c width on my Pompetamine.
    On 26″ rims I would go for something similar but maybe narrower and forego the heavy duty puncture protection if not required maybe something like Delta Cruiser 1 3/8 not too heavy, fast rolling, cheap and some puncture protection.

cynic-al
    Free Member

those all weigh a ton!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not sure the Delta Cruiser will fit a MTB rim – according to CRC anyway 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Any thoughts on Schwalbe Marathon Original in a 1.25″ (apart from them seeming heavy!)?

thomthumb
    Free Member

so I’m fitting 26″ wheels to start with.

what will that ride like?

& what crank length?

I have the small block 8 CX tyres on my pompino. best tyres i’ve run yet. not sure how narrow thay are available for 26″

maybe look at land sharks.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not too fussed on the handling…. My 11 year old will be chuffed with it and I’m happy to get her on a nice bike and jumping the 24″ wheel bike stage.
    SB8 don’t go small enough unfortunately. I may just put any old thing on initially and when she’s taller (growing like a weed at the mo) look at 700c wheels.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Delta Cruiser will fit and too heavy at 565g

The Marathon Plus are heavy at 775g upwards ut at least no punctures on mine so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can't believe I'm doing this but….. tyre suggestions for a Pompetamine?’ is closed to new replies.