Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Can't afford my rent, what should I do?
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above really, my landlord is meant to be collecting rent tonight, which I can't afford. What is the normal way of dealing with this?

alfabus
    Free Member

move to a cheaper place?

Dave

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ask him if you can delay/pay in smaller installments? If it's a one-off event I can't see them complaining too much, but if it's a long-term thing I'd be looking for somewhere cheaper ASAP.

Cancel any other debts you can ASAP – terminate any contract (mobile etc) you're not tied into long term, sell the TV/Laptop?

bigG
    Free Member

+1 with alfabus. stop living beyond your means and move somewhere cheaper.

Alternatively, have your bombers to hand, for some landlord owning time…

user-removed
    Free Member

Go to the pub at the time he is coming round.

OR

Start a thread here in the hopes that random bikers will each send you a couple of quid (wouldn't be the first time…)

Seriously, just ask him for a bit more time.

iDave
    Free Member

tell him before he arrives, and suggest he calls anyway to discuss, then car boot, ebay, whatever has to be done. most of the shit we have, we don't need and someone else will pay you to have it clutter up their life

lyons
    Free Member

It's a one of thing… It's hardly an expensive room anyway, I'll just ask him if I can do smaller payments etc…

hora
    Free Member

Can't afford my rent, what should I do

Sell me that sodding road bike!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Why can't you afford it? Just this month, or has your income dropped suddenly?

+1 on the Ebay thing; tough, but sometimes has to be done.

You might be eligible for Housing Benefit, if you can't afford to meet your rent payments each month. You'll need to sit down and have a good look at your finances, and will only receive any benefit if you are genuinely in need of help, rather than being a student who's spent all their monthly allowance on booze and kebabs.

But do tell your LL asap. Best to try and deal with the issue soon as poss.

mt
    Free Member

You could move to 11 Downing Street.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, I'd probably call him before he comes round but I suspect that's a bit late now.

hora
    Free Member

Yes, better to call him/speak to him first before he comes round.

lyons
    Free Member

I'll call him now, it's because of being self employed… Cashflow and a lack of work…

Hora- send me an email to andrew.bourne1@hotmail.co.uk with your phone number… I can't send emails at the moment from my phone

Kieran

Did you know you weren't going to be able to pay before today?

I have tenants, if they come to me in the middle of the month and say they're having money problems and might be a bit short come rent time I'm happy to help and be a bit flexible.
    However if they get to rent day with no money and an excuse then I'm a lot less sympathetic.

hora
    Free Member

Lyons will do. Where are you based BTW?

thomthumb
    Free Member

speak to citizens advice . they will give you facts and advice; not opinions.

lyons
    Free Member

Right, spoke to him and he just said to wait till next week. I've been expecting payment, hence me leaving it till late. Hora, I'm in Hemel Hempstead

Talkemada
    Free Member

it's because of being self employed… Cashflow and a lack of work…

Then hopefully a temporary issue? You may still be entitled to Housing Benefit, if so. It will probably take ages to sort out, mind, but may be useful in helping to pay back any funds you might need to borrow right now.

Sounds like you're living on some tight margins there though; might be an idea to have an Ebay blitz, to raise an emergency fund you can put into a separate account, for such eventualities. And keep topping it up when you're in the black.

coffeeking
    Free Member

However if they get to rent day with no money and an excuse then I'm a lot less sympathetic.

Doesn't really make much sense unless you think they're trying to catch you out – theyre probably just trying their hardest to get the rent from somewhere and don't want to cause undue alarm/risk to their tenancy. What difference does it make, ultimately?

Kieran

What difference does it make, ultimately?

Its more just the principle of it really. And it also means that I can budget properly in advance (even if they havent)

Not wanting to have a go at the OP, but I don't understand people who can't pay their rent. To me your mortgage/rent payments are the most important payments you can make. Mine is the first thing to come out of my account after being payed, and I always ensure there's a contingency fund just in case.

I understand the OP's position, but being in a buiness where cash flow could always be an issue should always mean you should have something set aside for when issues may arize.

Happy to see above that he's calling the landlord to let him/her know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on your landlord/lady.

Estate agents will just recite the book at you

Cocks will get all pseudo legal on you and threaten to have you on the street by 9am the next day.

My landlady as a student would wait till it was 21 days overdue, then send out a polite letter asking if we'd forgoten to send it that month (we genuinely forgot, fairly regularly). Came to an agreement with her that I'd pay 3x a year to coencide with the student loans, so most of it was early by several months and a proportion was obviously late by about a month which suited us both fine as it meant I never had money wories and she had the money earning interest nicely.

Some landlords are nice and do it in a nice friendly manner, others are c***s of the highest order. Oddly, they dont seem to be on a spectrum, theyr either crap or great.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I agree with the "landlords are either cr@p or great" sentitment.!

Seriously though, I think most landlords will be flexible if you're experiencing genuine problems and talk to them as opposed to hiding behind the sofa etc…

hels
    Free Member

A both a landlord and a tenant you have now given me a severe conflicted personality disorder.

No usefull advice sorry as I have never paid rent a second late and have been extremely lucky with good tenants. However I would rather they told me before rent day if there were problems it's at least polite.

oldgit
    Free Member

Kieran
    I know the line of work he is in, and getting paid when promised is rare.

Changing the subject slightly. How many Grand Design programmes have I watched were the owner has no money or mortgage but doesn't tell the tradesmen they're employing that tiny fact. Well me and him are the guys that end up not getting paid.
    In all the small jobs I've done since Christmas £10,014.00 is still unpaid.
    Edit;
    Of course you factor this in, but the reccession has made it terrible.

hora
    Free Member

ow many Grand Design programmes have I watched were the owner has no money or mortgage but doesn't tell the tradesmen they're employing that tiny fact

I wonder how many times the homeowner/etc then realises they have to try it on with all and sundry to avoid the bank taking the property away.

How? I bet they say 'work isnt upto standard or not what I asked for, im not happy so am not paying you the full agreed amount (or anything)'?

You see programmes 'builders from hell'…wonder how much material there'd be the other way round?…

oldgit
    Free Member

Hora you've got it.

piha
    Free Member

It's far too easy for a customer to find an excuse not to pay a subcontractor, so I understand the OP's predicament and I'm with oldgit and hora on this subject too. Hope you get things sorted out fella.

hora
    Free Member

O/T- Funnily I remember a Grand Designs where the pushy punters wanted to excavate MASSIVE amounts of earth infront of another property on a slope that had always been there. Anyway, excavations started, rains came and naturally the land shifted (as there were no props etc).

Big pause. Then move forward a wee while 'yes the cost was enormous and our Solicitors were dealing with this but not to us- to the neighbours whose insurance company decided to pay up'.

Eventually huge concentrete pillars were used and the neighbours garden had shrunk.

Nice one. Bet the neighbours wished someone else had bought the land.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

They were c**ks though, really were – doing what they did, where they did, etc – just seemed ridiculous from the start IMO…
    Their attitude seemed worse though

hitman
    Free Member

I'll call him now, it's because of being self employed… Cashflow and a lack of work…

what's your line of work? If you can plaster I have some work going – see my post in the chat forum

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

hmm

philconsequence
    Free Member

whats going on charlie, why the resurrection?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I would bet it is a spam that has been deleted before we could get on it.

Stoner
    Free Member

nope.

Linked to OP and another thread,

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Can't afford my rent, what should I do?’ is closed to new replies.