Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Canon lens / body repairs in Edinburgh?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

My lens is throwing up an error when used at wide angle when the body is set to aperture priority or manual mode. Hopefully the connectors just need a clean or something, but my magic cotton bud hasn’t done the trick.

Anyone got any experience of good value, good service repair places in the area? I seem to recall that there used to be a reasonable camera shop near Haymarket.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

digital or film ?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Digital (350D body and a digi specific EF-S 17-85mm lens).

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I know you asked for Edinburgh, but there is a Canon Service centre in Glasgow who are first rate.

Camera Repair Technicians

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ahh, was just going to suggest you would be better off buying off Ebay if film as a repair would be more than what you could pick most film stuff up for off Ebay.

Never mind.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks. Think I used Johnstone when I lived in Glasgow and needed the sensor cleaned. Will look at them again then if I can’t get anything closer to home.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s a guy on Abbeyhill…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah here he is

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=camera+repair+edinburgh&meta=&rlz=1R2ADFA_enGB402&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

He gave me cash for a broken R1 & film slr. V nice to deal with but a bit slow on investigating for me.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks Al. Just googled it, and seems to get a good review, so might pop in there next time I have a day off.

geoffj

There’s a place down morningside road – camerabase or something.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

+1 for JP on Abbeyhill. Not too quick, but reasonable costs.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Great, thanks all.

dazzlingboy

Cameratiks – Linky

Part of Camerabase as GeoffJ says.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Apologies for the slight hijack but would be interested in finding out how much the cost is to repair. I paid just over £100 last month to have my 17-85 repaired at a smallish shop in London.

pixelmix
    Free Member

James – I’ll post back once I eventually get around to getting it fixed. What was wrong with your 17-85?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Apologies for the delay, I have been away. The zoom was stuck at 17mm so had to be stripped and something replaced (unsure what part). Working perfectly now, but thought the cost was slightly high (though a new lens considerably more so had to stump up).

5lab

it might be that the lens’ sensor to pick up what focal length it is at is broken (in some way) so it always think’s it’s 18mm. does it error if you set the aparature to f6 or so, or just when trying to get it wide?

Might be a simple fix, probably still expensive. personally, for the sake of that lens, I’d just buy a replacement (should be <£100)

pixelmix
    Free Member

Had another play around with it just now. Seems to be that at the wider end of the zoom (17-24mm or thereabouts) it will only shout wide open (f4.0). If you try to decrease the aperture to f4.5 or below, it throws an error 99 code when you press the shutter.

Once you get past that part of the zoom (presumably into the part where f4.0 isn’t an option), it will shoot away at any aperture.

It is still £279 for the lens at the moment, so if it is £50 or so, it sounds like it would be worth getting repaired.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Canon lens / body repairs in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.