Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Canon G10 (or similar camera) to replce DSLR and point and shoot?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Maybe, but it is bloody anti-social. I suspect I'm not the only one who'd applaud the sight of a photographer being beaten to death with their flash at the 24s

At night, I'd totally agree with you. I wouldn't touch a flash at night. Usesless, IMO.
    At night you get this, pretty easily, without a flash…

belgianbob

@Epicyclo
    Lacking dedication? 1/10 FAIL!
    the GX680 is the perfect MTB camera…
    😉
    (I had one on loan once. I don't think it ever went outside, except to put it in the car. Lovely bit of kit though.)

@Dudie: Have you tried Lightroom 2.x or 3 yet? If not, I suggest you give them a crack, as you may be very pleasantly surprised. Yes, DPP IS good, but it can't compete with a feature rich package that all but removes the need for visiting Photoshop 99% of the time, and does a great job of archiving your work to boot. It's changed my life. The only downside is that it isn't free.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Great night shot Peter!

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Yeah like that!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I should probably take more pics at night then..? 😉

stevemorg2

I had a look at a G11 today – it's very impressive but @£460 so I'll have to get rid of my DSLR kit first – any suggestions where to advertise it? (other than ebay)

HTTP404
    Free Member

If i were looking at the G11 – I'd also be looking at the G10 because its a fair bit cheaper and the Panasonic GF1 or Olympus EP1 because they're a little bit dearer.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had a look at a G11 today – it's very impressive but @£460 so I'll have to get rid of my DSLR kit first – any suggestions where to advertise it? (other than ebay)

Minolta kit sells well on ebay. Here is worth a go too. What have you got?

stevemorg2

5th – the present kit bag is:
    Konica Minolta 5d with 18-70 kit lense, Sony 18-200, Minolta 28mm 2.8, Minolta 3600 HS flashgun – all in great condition, filters on the lenses from new, Lowepro No 4 AW bag – I also have a Manfrotto tripod but I may keep that for the next camera
    I've had a lot more decent advice on here than some of the photography forums so it may be worth trying it on here first – thanks for the advice

tinribz
    Free Member

Have you considered an LX3? Just swapped my Canon G9 for one although not sure if it was for the better yet (after one trip out).

Liking the wide angle but not that impressed with the photos yet. Think they may take a little more work to get right compared to the canon. Lx is much smaller too and the new firmware has auto bracketing for +3. Bugger all zoom though.

G9 is virtually the same as G10 as far as I can tell apart from the slightly larger wide-angle too.

Lumix DMC-GF1 has to be worth a look if you are feeling flush, Micro Four Thirds probably about the same size as a G10.

andyl46
    Free Member

"x"th Lightroom. A vital tool when processing many images.

As for the camera, can I ask why you wouldn't just use the KM? Its the right tool for the job? How about a second hand DSLR body with a cheap fast 50mm prime for low light stuff? Say a Nikon D70 and 50mm f1.8?

Off camera flash, I dont mind it being obvious, and used well it can really make an image. I use it a lot, from my wedding work to DH race coverage. I dont think head on in a race situation is the right time for that though. Naturally, each to their own. I love natural light, evocative and serene images as much as I like flat out, ragging the tits off a bike shots. I just happen to be better at the latter! More to the point, in the pretty thick forests where we ride, natural light isn't around too much.

Simon, fair play for taking a D300 riding with you. I only stick to very gentle stuff when I have my gear with me.

Some nice work there guys.

Dudie
    Free Member

@Dudie: Have you tried Lightroom 2.x or 3 yet? If not, I suggest you give them a crack, as you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Nope, but it sounds like I should. Thanks for the heads up.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Canon G10 (or similar camera) to replce DSLR and point and shoot?’ is closed to new replies.