Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Canon G10 (or similar camera) to replce DSLR and point and shoot?
  • stevemorg2

Over the last few years I've put together a reasonable (by my standards) set of kit based on my KM 5D SLR. I've also got a fuji F30 which I bought for when I didn't want to drag my DSLR around.
    Recently however I've found myself wondering if I should simplify things and get a good quality "bridge" camera.
    I have done a bit of sports photography and do appreciate the lack of shutter lag on the 5D but I think I'd take more (and better) photographs by having a camera that I would actually take out!
    Any thoughts or indeed recommendations?

richpips
    Free Member

There was a similar thread earlier in the week. Consensus seemed to be G9 10 or 11 depending on budget.

grantway
    Free Member

Nikon do a simiar Pro compact.
    Best thing will be to go through the pros and cons that suite
    you and take it for a test run.

DrJ
    HTTP404
    Free Member

Depends what your budget is and what you mean by "bridge" camera.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I used a G5 rather than SLR/Compact for a few years but wound up finding the limits of what that could do pretty quick. It was good for a smallish camera, nice fast lens and all. It was just the shutter lag and lack of dynamic range that really pissed me off.

I am not sure any of the current crop sort that out particularly… perhaps something like the Panasonic GF1 (if that's right – the Lumix version of the Olympus PEN-1) is the answer??? Rumour has it that Samsung have something in the pipeline too… and Ricoh… which marry a large sensor with a compact camera. Not sure if they are offering interchangeable lenses or a fixed unit though? Something like the Ricoh GR Digital with a DSLR size sensor would make me have a sex wee though 😉

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Ricoh GR Digital 1 (secondhand) or 3 (brand new)

I have a GRD 1, and have used it non stop for the last 4 years. Its only now starting to show battle scars. When it breaks I will be getting a GRD 3. Check the reviews with ken rockwell or LL.

No zoom but really nice 28mm fixed with adaptors for wider or longer and full intuitive manual controls…..

DT78
    Free Member

I am very happy with my G10 if that helps your choice?!

HTTP404
    Free Member

Best bargain I have seen is the Ricoh GX100 with viewfinder attachment for a little over £200. The Ricoh CX1 is also cheap having been replaced by the CX2 after just 6 months. In both cases the upgrades over the originals are subtle.
    The Fuji EXRs also review well.
    However, my main concern with cameras and riding is how durable they will be with dirt, dust and water, such is the nature of mountain biking. Personally, I couln't afford to take and break a Canon G10. If I was going to take a camera regularly with me mountain biking – think I'd go secondhand. There are some cracking deals on the 'bay.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No zoom

really ?? Is it clockwork too ?

DT78
    Free Member

Depending on the type of riding I do, I take the g10 (dry day, long xc route, family trip) or if it's likely to be wet/muddy/rough I take my little bulletproof olympus mju. Doesn't take as good photos, but unlikely to break.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

However, my main concern with cameras and riding is how durable they will be with dirt, dust and water, such is the nature of mountain biking

I've been doing this for years with my Nikon D70/D200/D300 – all of which are still working fine, despite being dropped and regularly crashed – I wish I had survived the experiences so well 🙂 After a particularly hard fall where I landed on my chest pack at over 20mph, the VR on my lens did pack in several weeks later, and I've broken a couple of lens hoods.

HTTP404
    Free Member

sfb, I think the whole world knows you have a pan-handle for DSLRs, but there are other possible ways to take pictures 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb, I think the whole world knows you have a pan-handle for DSLRs, but there are other possible ways to take pictures

I had the misfortune to be asked to take someone's picture with a compact on Saturday. I held the thing at arms' length to see the screen and pressed the button to be rewarded with a sequence of clicks and beeps and the screen went blank for a bit leaving me none the wiser whether any photography had taken place. Eventually under the influence of my frantic pressing it may have worked again – I was never sure 🙁

GrahamS

The Canon G series (9, 10, 11) all look good.

In the Nikon camp there is the P6000:

and the "bridge" P90:

(I reckon even simon could work those)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The Panasonic GF1 seems to be getting great things said about it

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(I reckon even simon could work those)

I had a Fuji bridge camera – the electronic viewfinder was dire – you just had to make an act of faith that the actual photo taken would be better – not to mention it took 3 seconds from turn on to usability and ate batteries so fast it couldn't be left on 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Over the last few years I've put together a reasonable (by my standards) set of kit based on my KM 5D SLR. I've also got a fuji F30 which I bought for when I didn't want to drag my DSLR around.
    Recently however I've found myself wondering if I should simplify things and get a good quality "bridge" camera.

Not sure how small you want, but have a look at the Sony a230 while you're looking at bridge cameras. It'll take all your KM lenses but smaller and lighter than your 5D.

woffle
    Free Member

For what it's worth I had the G10 but found it struggled in low light – my old 3MP Ixus outperformed it when trying to catch pics of the kids running about…

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

SFB

You should try a grd. With the viewfinder attached you can use it like a "proper" photographer (full manual with a dial for speed and one for aperture too). It doesnt have a zoom though so you may have to move closer to something you wish to take a photo of. Also. As its not an SLR you wouldnt have to carry around your condescending (spelling) attitude either making the ride a little easier.

As for the merits of the SLR, HCB, M A Bravo and S Salgado cant all be wrong.

GrahamS

had a Fuji bridge camera – the electronic viewfinder was dire

So perhaps the P6000 with its optical viewfinder would be the compact for you simon?

GrahamS

It doesnt have a zoom though so you may have to move closer to something you wish to take a photo of.

#1 phrase used by people who don't understand how focal length affects an image – it is not the same as just getting a bit closer.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

It was flippancy on my part.

SORRY.

However. I do feel that there is an overdependency on zooms (particularly on compacts). Just my 2 penneth, having seen much "zoom abuse" over the years.

My point was that a compact without a zoom is automatically seen as being something like a prop from the flintstones!

HTTP404
    Free Member

#1 phrase used by people who don't understand how focal length affects an image – it is not the same as just getting a bit closer.

The Ricoh GRDs don't have a zoom ie fixed focal lens, and you will have to get closer in order to fill the frame.

The distance to subject is clearly going to be different but this does not mean the dof cannot be adjusted with the right control.

Using fixed or short zooms have the advantage of engaging with the subject.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

HTTP

Thats the point i was trying to make.

At the same time, a zoom can be of use. However when taking pics of bikes on the move, Ive found the easiest way to do it is with a wide lense with a relatively wide aperture (not able to drag a whole bunch of slave flashes around on every ride), highish ISO and get close (ish). From the OP I thought this was the use the camera was to be put. Doing the same with a zoom @ 200mm equivilent and getting sufficient light onto the sensor with the reduced aperture whilst standing on the other side of the woods is going to be a problem

DrJ

So perhaps the P6000 with its optical viewfinder would be the compact for you simon?

That camera doesn't get great reviews compared with the Canon, or Pana LX3. The electronic viewfinder on the Pana G1 is head and shoulders above earlier generations.

GrahamS

Yes I understand it doesn't have a zoom. My point was that "so you may have to move closer" implies that this is all that increasing the focal length achieves, which is not correct.

It alters DoF, as you point out, and also foreshortens distance:

(Suitably bikey-themed image from Wikipedia)

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

GS

Which compact is that with an 18 – 55 zoom.

Not many of those about.

Can you show us the less obvious forshortening of distance that will occur on a 50 – 135 which a compact is surely more likely to be?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you can use it like a "proper" photographer (full manual with a dial for speed and one for aperture too).

I'd just as soon want that as I'd want to adjust the spark advance and hand pump the engine oil in a car

Also. As its not an SLR you wouldnt have to carry around your condescending (spelling) attitude either making the ride a little easier.

it's not condescension but practicality. SLRs are better cameras, particularly for action shots, and the supposed disadvantage of size is exaggerated. I even gave away my sweet D60 to my daughter to carry the bigger D300 round with me everywhere I go because it's so much better at being a camera. It's not snobbery.

GrahamS

50 – 135 which a compact is surely more likely to be?

Well the Canon G10 & G11 is (35mm-equivalent to) 28-140mm, the Nikon P6000 is 28-112mm (and has an optional wide-angle converter), the Nikon P90 is 26-624mm!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

zoom abuse:

(both taken from the same spot)

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

I'd just as soon want that as I'd want to adjust the spark advance and hand pump the engine oil in a car

Fair point.

Each to there own i suppose.

So long as you enjoy what your doing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you know what you're doing, you can take some siht-hot pictures with a comact, it's just a bit more hit and miss for stuff that's moving. Where an SLR wins for me is that it's simply faster (No shutter lag, faster to change the settings, insant power-up) and a lot more versitile. And I do like to mess around in manual. In my last 2 outings, mine's not been used in an auto mode for more than half a dozen shots out of about 250…. 🙂

GrahamS

In my last 2 outings, mine's not been used in an auto mode for more than half a dozen shots out of about 250….

Blimey – I must be the complete opposite.

I hardly ever shoot Manual, apart from shots that are to be stitched together or Bulb shots obviously.

I almost always use aperture-priority.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Why the crop on the bottom pic?

I do understand the different perspective which zoomed or wide images will bring and the flexability they give.

Use whichever gives you pics you like I suppose.

To the OP. Try a GRD, it may not be what you want, it may be. Give it a go.

Now, lets have a look down the back of the sofa so i can change my M6 for one of thos swanky new M9's……..

GrahamS

Why the crop on the bottom pic?

I think it's a stitch, rather than a crop.

(which I guess is an option if you use a fixed length lens).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think it's a stitch, rather than a crop.

yes, I was cheating by posting a composite of 6 or 7 wideangle shots :o) But if it wasn't cropped there'd be a lot of boring sky and ground…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I hardly ever shoot Manual, apart from shots that are to be stitched together or Bulb shots obviously.

Yeah, I mainly use aperture or shutter priority, but I've just bought a flash and some remote triggers. I'm still practiing really, but I need to tell the camera what it's going to see when I press the button, rather than what it sees before the flash goes off. It's not too hectic, mostly f5 – f5.6 and shutter somewhere between 1/80 and 1/160th. I'm still a bit hit and miss because I generally have less than a minute to set it all up (Get gear out of bag, strap flash to tree, guess settings, OHH! Here's a rider!) but I'm getting there…. 🙂

🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO if you can see the flash it's a fail as most people know full well the sun does not shine out of the ground 🙁

GrahamS

..but I've just bought a flash and some remote triggers.

ah, that explains it 😀 I've yet to play with such toys. I get myself in enough trouble with just the camera 😉

Nice pics BTW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Canon G10 (or similar camera) to replce DSLR and point and shoot?’ is closed to new replies.