Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Canoeists: Recommend me a river for a couple of hours easy paddle
  • midlifecrashes

Mate of mine's son has been learning with a slalom biased club in Doncaster. He's bored with spending most of his day sat on the bank waiting for his run or hiking back up. Would like to try a river run suitable for novices but a few hours duration. We're based in Doncaster, but can travel. I was thinking Tees might be good, but not sure of put in and exit points. When I was a kid we used to pootle about near the airport. Any good suggestions or links to sites which have this sort of info. Will be three of us, none of us expert, but happy enough on the water within reason.

DavidB
    Free Member

Why not try canal, then you don't have put in/get out problem

Moses

The Wye is good, downstream from Hay to Monmouth. There are companies hiring canoes who will hire then fetch you back

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Which club is it – most canoe clubs I’ve been involved with have had a series of river cruises through out the year – Even when I was involved with Leeds Canoe Club during its centre of excellence day we still went of and dicked about on rivers

However I’d say as a dyed in the wool slalmomist there is no greater thing – most lower div have fairly good access to the water during race weekends – its only in the top Divs that practice time is limited (basically you get a mx of 5 run of around 170sec each all weekend – now that’s a pain)
    Try some of the other local clubs – Knotingley used have a good club –I’m currently with white rose in Leeds & there is still Leeds Canoe club – West yorks are based in Wakefield – or check with the BCU

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The SCA (Scottish Canoe Assoc) do a pretty good touring guide with details of the best rivers and lochs. i'd be surprised if the English equivelant don't do something similar.

Also, try posting on the UK rivers guide foruum. very helpful bunch, might even meet someone to go out with.

midlifecrashes

The club is

Green Star

From the look of the website there isn't a whole lot of non training time on the water. The boy is only 11 so hanging around on the bank isn't his favourite thing, his dad would like him to have some more relaxed paddling time.

midlifecrashes

Ta for the replies, the UK rivers guide seems to be just what he's after.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Green star used to do quite a bit of genral paddeling – has he been up to the Washburn on some of the release days evining – usualy within a club there will be a group who engauge in more recrational paddling – hope this helps – must admit I'm abit out of touch as I've only just returned to paddling myself – and get very board on flat water or if there are no slamom gate around to play with

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Canoeists: Recommend me a river for a couple of hours easy paddle’ is closed to new replies.