Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Canoeing
  • JulianA
    Free Member

Really fancy buying an inflatable canoe for two (about £70 on ebay) but as we no longer live very close to the sea I’m wondering where we could go paddle without paying for a waterways licence.

I thought that maybe the Basingstoke Canal would be ok but it seems as though a permit might be needed. The K&A is not too far away but I think you need a permit for the BWB waterways in this country.

Even Bruges and Gent seem to limit their waterways to licenced tour operators (and I though that regulation was less on the continent!)

What’s the score, folks? We’d like to get waterborne but don’t want to have to buy permits left, right and centre as we may not use them enough to get value for money! Your advices will be welcome…

jonba
    Free Member

Check the BCU website. IIRC the BCU licence covers many inland waterway*.

Ukriversguidebook would also be a good place to start looking.

*we only have legal acces to about 2% of whitewater rivers or we did when I paddled regularly at Uni. The situation is ridiculous although many paddlers these days just ignore access agreements and use common sense and personal responsibility.

druidh
    Free Member

Scotland – the “Land” Access laws apply to all water too.

Well – we have to much of it, it would be churlish to restrict its usage. 🙂

matt_outandabout

Indeed, BCU membership would cover you.
    And canoeing is great, spent today hoofing down the Orchy in huuuuuuuuge water in a canoe… 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

Thanks guys – might check out BCU membership. (or just go for it!)

maycontainnuts

Just go for it.

I wouldn’t bother with the BCU, an awful organisation with little or no use to the recreational paddler. I’ve long since stopped giving them any of my hard earned.

As mentioned above UK rivers guide book is a useful tool, or try the local canoe club, most clubs will let you try some kit out and offer advice about what and where to buy as well as where to paddle safely, before you go diving in at the deep end.

(I’ve been paddling about 20 years and have never been asked nor have I heard about anyone ever being asked to show a waterways license)

matt_outandabout

Ok, join the SCA then 🙂

Brainflex

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk is the STW of canoeing.

unsponsored
    Free Member

You might want to browse here – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk

benshannonpt
    Free Member

I don’t pay. I have the soar right by me and a canal. I just pop my boat in and paddleaway. no one has ever said a word.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Canoeing’ is closed to new replies.