Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Canoe or kayak for beginners
  • timidwheeler

I was thinking about a second hobby to complement cycling and paddling about on reasonably flat rivers and lakes sounds ideal. Problem is I haven’t paddled since I was about 15.

I want an inflatable (or more likely two as Mr TW and I will only argue if we have to share). Any advice on what sort of thing I need?

Also and this may sound daft, but I have no idea on where you are actually allowed to paddle. Are there plenty of spots? My plan was to add an hour or two of paddling to a cycling weekend rather than it being the focus.

Cheers for any help.

AlexSimon

Inflatable canoes are expensive.
    Gomotex Palava being the cheapest good option.

Whereas you can get an Inflatable open kayaks from Decathlon for <£200.

I’ve seen people try to use the cheaper kayaks as canoes though, so maybe that’ll work. The Stearns Back Country comes to mind.

I’m not sure it makes much of a difference, other than I personally feel happier in a canoe. Hard to put into words. It’s more of a craft than kayak though in terms of paddle stroke.

natrix
    Free Member

You could always try a cheap and nasty one likes those froom aldi, see http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/places-to-kayak-around-glasgow

Theoretically, in lots of places you’ll need a licence to paddle, depends where you are in the country.

For an hour or two of paddling it might work out cheaper to hire 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

For an hour or two of paddling it might work out cheaper to hire

I was surprised at the cost of hire. Tiso were doing a canoe + all the kit for a long weekend for about £35 a year or so ago. they also know the rules and places to go, so a few hires, see if you like it and keep an eye on the used boat sales seems like decent idea

ivorlott
    Free Member

The Sevylor ones are pretty good for the money. We’ve had a Colorado for a few year now, used regularly in Anglesey. Very stable, have never come close to capsizing, just bobs up and down nicely in the swell and waves.

You do have to be careful in the sea though, avoid running tides (unless in your favour) and as soon as the wind gets above 10mph or so, progress can be pretty difficult.

For that reason we’ve recently bought a Gumotex Seawave. Only given it a quick try in Coniston so far, but reckon it’ll be usuable in a wider range of weather than the Sevylor.

We’ll mostly use it as kayak though and we noticed the double paddling makes the tracking a bit more difficult, considering adding a rudder now to help with that. Never really had any tracking issues with the Sevylor, but always used single paddles, something to consider perhaps.

prawny

Never used an inflatable so I’m not much use there.

Location wise, get yourself a BCU membership and you can paddle almost anywhere, canals are pleasant in the countryside. I raced in my teens and loved it, would love to go back but done have the spare time.

dovebiker

Inflatables are horrible if you want to make progress – I regularly encounter inflatables getting blown in circles in the mildest of breezes and going very slowly. Hire a canadian double to try our might be worthwhile, particularly if your wife isn’t as strong a paddler. If you join British Canoeing you have a permit that covers most of the UKs inland waterways.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Thread just updated on Song of the Paddle that may be relevant

nickdavies

Join your local club, there’s no cheaper or easier way of doing it. Once you get a bit more competent you’ll be able to borrow a club boat and you’ll have access to a wider range.

And if you think access for mtb in the countryside is contentious wait till you try and paddle a river!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a canoe for bimbling about on the local canal. Can they be easily tied to a roofrack bars?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Can they be easily tied to a roofrack bars?

Yes – see here

timidwheeler

Thank you all.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Join a club +1
    Apart from the coaching available, most clubs have a variety of boats you can try before feeling the need to commit to either the sport or any type of boat.

scotroutes

Move to Scotland. No permit required, paddle wherever you want.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thread just updated on Song of the Paddle that may be relevant

I’d tread carefully on Song of the Paddle.

Abusive and obnoxious subculture innit. 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I heard they were a bunch of delicate snow flakes.

winston
    Free Member

As others have said, if you are looking for a hobby don’t buy an inflatable unless you really have no option. If you do, go for a Gumotex or Grabner etc – something of good quality. Sevylor have their place but they are really for the occasional user and to be honest once you have replaced a bladder or two they don’t save you much cash in the long run.

I would urge you to join a club – without basic training you are really reduced to sit on kayaks which are slow and exposed in the winter (though a lot of fun on the sea in the summer).

The water you are going to paddle will also help an expert decide what boats you might enjoy most. i.e If I lived in the Lake District I would most definitely have a 15ft Open canoe but because I live next to the sea I mainly paddle a 18ft Sea kayak and a Hobie Revolution 13 for fishing….

AlexSimon

I don’t agree that inflatables are that bad.
    Yes a rigid will be faster, but you only really notice it when you’re alongside one.
    Inflatables (quality ones anyway) are much better in shallower grounding situations and white water than an rigid open canoe too.

timidwheeler

Cheers, I’m looking for something (or things if we get one each) that will pack down and can live permanently in our campervan. We are going away a couple of weekends a month at the moment, all across the country so location is variable.
    I just fancied something relatively low faff that could fill those difficult few hours between finishing cycling and going to the pub for dinner #firstworldproblems.

No interest at all in joining a club. I’m a really antisocial, miserable git.

poly
    Free Member

Consider a sup. Inflatable sup’s can be had for about the same price as canoes and pack smaller, and work better. I wouldn’t buy another inflatable canoe, as they are a pita in any sort of wind. My experience is rigid canoes track better, and perhaps because of weight blow around less, and paddle better too.

timidwheeler

I don’t fancy a SUP. I see myself as more of a sitting down athlete.

slowoldman

I heard they were a bunch of delicate snow flakes.

Their level of abuse is pathetic.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Canoe or kayak for beginners’ is closed to new replies.