Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • Jason
    Free Member

parkesie, well spotted 😀

rustynisssan, there is an online video of how to set up the shock (it might be linked to in this thread?) Basically let out all negative air, then connect shock pump to positive valve, once the connector is screwed on enough to register pressure it then needs a further turn to open the second chamber, at this point you can see the pressure rise on the gauge. Set the positive pressure and then set the negative pressure. When I set mine up I didn’t see the second rise in pressure, but suggested pressures worked fine. 2015 ones are fitted with the sag-o-meter, and a rubber chain stay protector.

Jason
    Free Member

Here is the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saLQNNLVLgw

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the info guys. Will have a read/watch/tinker.

Regarding the downtube protector – I dont think Cannondale have made one for the alloy 2015’s yet, the carbon model .has bolt on cable guides that mount the protector.

No sag-o-meter on mine or in the box.

rascal
    Free Member

Came on to voice my observations after it’s second ride, after some fettling.
    Not right terrain to comment on first ride.

Set shock up to suggested psi and found like I wasn’t getting that much travel – very wooden and not plush at all. Feels very different to my single pivot Meta which has the same travel. I was going to drop the pressures in each can til I got some bounce – low and behold the last few posters have similar issues.
    When the back end is compressed there is now a noticeable squeak when the bike is stationary – oddly this isn’t so noticeable when riding – other people on this thread have it too.
    The Fox are quite harsh too – might need to play with them.

Another thing – it rattles – a lot. Noticed it more last week and traced it to a very loose black plastic top on the Deore front mech – sorted with some Blu-Tak on the underside (out of site)!

Pleased I got the bike (Trigger 4) – I think I’ll love it more when the ride itself feels better.

mttm
    Free Member

Stock pressures were way too firm for me. Tried the ones below my weight category, as suggested in the manual – still not enough sag. Dropped halfway to the next settings, much better. Now gone to the settings two steps below my weight category – spot on. So just keep dropping those pressures.

scotjohn
    Free Member

Well I ended up getting one for the missus and probably cocked up by getting a medium (Trigger 4) as she’s just finding it too much bike for her, especially around climbing switchbacks. Perhaps the small would have been better, or maybe it’s just the general overkill for the sort of riding she’s doing. At only 55kg (ish) and only comfortable riding blues, she’s finding its weight too hefty and really what she probably needs is a Fuel or an Anthem type bike. I on the other hand have been bloody impressed by it and am doing my very best to not get one for myself. I think the travel and geometry change is genius. Wish it fitted me…
    Alas, it’ll be going up for sale after only 3 rides 🙁
    The squeaking by the way is most likely from the sag guide. There’s a video on youtube of someone with the same issue and cured it with a bit of silicon spray on the sag thingy. Try it..

parkesie
    Free Member

Should have got the carbon 2 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My shock used to make strange noises if the negative air wasn’t completely emptied before setting positive air and also if the negative air pressure was too close to the positive setting.

scotjohn
    Free Member

Yeah. For myself before they put it up by £200!

RustyNissanPrairie

Has anyone elses Jekyll been shipped with a sag meter and a chainstay guard?

rascal
    Free Member

Rusty – my Trigger had both – sorry 😉

oldnslow
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy

Spent a couple of hours on my Trigger 2 at BPW over the weekend, overall I’m still impressed with it. It climbs well although it would be nice if the Lefty travel could be dropped, on the steep gravelly climb at the start the Lefty wanted to wander a bit unless I concentrated, traction was great though in 85mm mode and didn’t really notice any pedal bob.
    Was nice and stable on the downs (I stuck to blues so can’t really comment on how good it is on technical stuff).
    No hand ache though which was good, not sure if it’s just the smoother trails or if the Lefty is loosening up a bit.
    Only niggles I have are firstly, the front wheel off in/out of the car is a bit more of a PITA than I’d like – I haven’t found the magic way of putting the wheel on where the hub bolt instantly catches (took me well over a minute one time but maybe I’m just useless), secondly the saddle creaks a bit (it’s def torqued up enough but not sure if it’s the saddle or the Lev’s fault – think I’m going to switch the saddle anyway as it’s a bit narrow for my liking). Also a couple of times I’ve gone to drop the Lev and it’s either not moved or gone down a couple of inches and stuck (almost like if the seat clamp was overly tight but it stops at different places).
    Finally – is anyone else worried about the brake caliper dangling about when the wheel is off? I’m pretty careful loading it into the car but still it must put a bit of strain on the hose/caliper clamping – not really sure there’s any solution though?

withersea
    Free Member

Fuzzywuzzy, great feedback on the Trigger. On the lefty you can lock it dowwn/unlock with the red\blue combo at the top of the stanchion.

I am with you on the front wheel faff, but still easier than the four bolts I had on my my fox 36s a few years back.

For the brake caliper I think am going to make/bodge something together to keep it safe as I think it has the potential for an expensive accident. Might be that massive lump of blue foam that the lefty axle was stuck in when the bike arrived.

Rusty – my Jekyll had both. Might be model option/reduced kit thing. Phone Paul’s, I am sure they will help.

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks, have emailed Pauls.

jonnyrobertson

Ordered last Saturday, arrived on the Tuesday. Missed first TNT delivery attempt, about an hour after phoning up to say I’d collect it myself from the depot there was a knock on the door and a friendly TNT chappie bearing a big gift in the form of a Trigger 3. Great service. Great service by Paul’s as well, bike well assembled and excellently packaged. As for the price, no idea how they are doing it but thanks to Paul’s for a great bike at a crazy price. Never thought I’d be on such a high end bike again, what with commitments an’ all. Thanks to my other half as well for giving me the go ahead, the bike’s not been ridden yet due to work and home commitments but I’m looking forward to getting back out there and rediscovering the love for biking that I used to have before a foot injury sidelined me.

Of course, big thanks to the OP for the PSA.

sammiye
    Free Member

Another one here hovering over the “buy” button for a trigger 4 from Pauls. Am 5’8 and 30 inch inside leg. I am ALWAYS between bike sizes – mediums just feel a bit too big to hop and jump about and I always seem to be a bit too over the front on smalls.

Currently thinking about a small to move around a bit easier.

Any other slightly shorter riders out there on one got any thoughts??

kimbers

sammiye, im the same size as you and im always a medium!

sammiye
    Free Member

Cheers Kimbers.

Maybe a medium and a shorter stem then.. What is the stock stem length on these? Looks quite long on chillnflow’s pics!

paulkm
    Free Member

A word of caution for all you new Trigger owners. My rear mech got tangled in the spokes, destroying the mech in the process & doing some cosmetic damage to the frame.

This happened after a few successful rides around the streets, and half a lap of the glentress skills loop with 0 issues – so I don’t think it was a simple bent hanger/mech in transit. Very odd – but difficult to diagnose retrospectively.

I reckon you may want to verify that everything is properly tightened down there, and that the limit screws are set correctly to avoid this catastrophe.

Luckily, Alpine Bikes @ GT sorted me out with a Deore downgrade in 10 minutes – so I got to try the new bike properly. Huge grins – it’s my first FS, and quite a step up from a 7 year old Orange P7. I’m just glad I decided to have a quick shakedown before going on a big ride!

I’m waiting to see what Paul’s have to say – it’s such a lot of bike for the money that I’m not going to be to upset with whatever they come back with.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Of course, big thanks to the OP for the PSA.

😀
    We aim to please. I havent got mine yet as OH wants to get me to check my sizing. 😕

jaylittle
    Free Member

Well I finally caved in and put an order in for a Trigger 4. will have the Ghost AMR in the free ads once its cleaned up. Thanks for all the info, pics and reviews.

Jason
    Free Member

paulkm, a shame for that to happen on a new bike 🙁 I had an issue on mine that the b-screw wasn’t screwed in far enough, so while the mech would shift up the block okay, it would get stuck on the largest sproket and wasn’t able to shift back down. That problem was evident on the first ride, so I doubt yours was the same issue if you had ridden it a few times.

60mm stem on the large frames.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

How quickly have Paul’s been getting these out the door? I see there is a notice saying that there is delays in shipping due to demand

kevin1911

I see that the Trigger 3 and 4 come with a 51mm offset fork – is this a non-standard offset? Was thinking of putting my near-new relelations on (if I ever get round to ordering before they all sell out

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve sold 2 bikes which needed shifting. So have paid off the Trigger already.

rascal
    Free Member

Ordered Sunday – there on Tues. (2 weeks ago when it was more under the radar).

yabadoouk
    Free Member

I took delivery of my Trigger 2 (size M) from Paul’s Cycles last Thursday and covered a 36m route on it yesterday. Great climber and epic descender, feeling very solid and planted.

Though I’m 5’10” with a 30″ inside leg it felt too small for me, I usually ride 29″ hard-tails (both M) however i tend to ride 99% XC between 40 -60+ miles at a time and the larger frames of the 29ers suite my style better.

So bargain of the century £1799 (no negotiation) plus delivery (free if local) and I will buy a large instead of getting a longer stem. Bike is obviously mint, any inspection welcome and can provide all the recent receipts etc. Am sure the warranty will be transferrable as well.

If interested please pm me.

Lesson to be learnt. Go on a proper bike ride on your chosen stead before handing over your hard earned : )
    Still, great bike though!!

pjbarton
    Free Member

anyone else’s carbon 2 triggers turned up, love to see some pics!
    and more impressions

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I recommend one of these

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You Lefty owners will now need to order a decent set of mudguards from SKS …

Shockblade at the front and X-Blade at the back, they attach and detach in seconds.
    Thats a neat cable guide Chunky, where do you get it from?

Jason
    Free Member

Strangely enough I ordered one of those cable guides yesterday. I got mine from Qwerty Cycles, it looks a bit different to the one above, but same idea. There are also a few for sale on eBay.

paulkm
    Free Member

Further to my rear mech troubles above… If I use the large sprocket & the large chainring & compress the suspension, then the rear mech touches the sprockets. I guess this could bump it into the spokes.

I know I shouldn’t (& don’t) cross chain like this, but surely the chain’s too short if this situation can occur?

I don’t know if this is what caused my problem – too shocked to remember what gear I was in!

Goldigger
    Free Member
    paulkm
    Free Member

Looks like Cannondale are the ones at fault then. Disappointing that it’s been looked at by at least two mechanics, neither of whom picked up on it.

hammerite
    Free Member

Interesting comments with regards to the mech problems. On my first ride I got stuck in the small ring, it was ok at first, big ring all most of the way to the woods, small for a climb through a field, then big ring again the rest of the way to the woods. Spent the whole time in the woods in the small ring. Went to shift back in to the big ring for the ride home, but there was no movement.

On getting home I checked it out. Had to pull a bit more cable through and tighten, adjust the limiter screw a bit and fine tune with the barrel adjuster. Was fine when I got out at the weekend.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Or Alpine shortened the chain/removed a damaged link when they fitted the new rear mech.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mmmm. Triple ring probably shouldn’t use big ring big cog or else if the chain is extended enough for that you may lose it. Swings and roundabouts. Doubles should get away with it. IMHO.

mttm
    Free Member

Scotjohn – thank you! The squeak was indeed from the sag indicator. Sounded so much worse and I was very sceptical it could be that inoffensive little guide causing that noise. But, unfastened it and noise stopped completely. Retightened it and the squeak kicked off again. Applied a tiny bit of silicone lube to it… silence. Very, very happy! 🙂

paulkm
    Free Member

Rorschach – I guess so. No way to know really.

eddiebaby – yeah – I would never normally ride like that (though not for chain length reasons – I was just always taught not to cross chain since my first 2×10 ‘racer’). That’s not to say I didn’t ride like that when I was basically test riding a new bike though.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.