Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • easygirl

I changed to 471,rms from crossroc
    No problems so far , feel a lot stiffer than the crossroc

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks EG, I keep flip flopping between the 481 and the 471. 😀

jnm1
    Free Member

30 won’t be too wide for a 2.35 and probably not a 2.25, DT Swiss even has charts with a 40mm wide rim on 2.35 tires. Good point on the tire though, they could well make tires with treads outboard more to account for the wider platform that comes with wide rims, or sidewall changes. But the difference in how it sits isn’t huge until you hit 40, so not sure companies are going to flock to yet another line of tire to design and stock.

https://www.dtswiss.com/Technology/MTB-rim-width

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks JNM1. Thats useful.

jnm1
    Free Member

Keep in mind there isn’t such a thing as a rim being ‘too wide’ for a tire until you’re really stretching it width wise to the point it wont support itself vertically because the sidewall is gone.

zerolight
    Free Member

Agreed. Just don’t want to lose the edge wrap.

Dekerf853

It seems to be a common opinion that the Mavic Crossroc rims are too flexy and too narrow, has anyone tried, or is it possible, to replace just the rim with something wider and stiffer?

Just a thought……

zerolight
    Free Member

The issue is they are also only 24 spoke so changing really needs new hubs too. Just been in Evans checking out the EX471 rims attached to a couple of Norco bikes. Very nice looking rims.

jnm1
    Free Member

I just wouldn’t bother building around the stock Mavic hubs. Jenson will sell you a set of DT350s for $275. Course we need the lefty hub but the Cannondale front + 350 rear will up it to about $300. Keep the Crossrocs with tires on, maybe even with tubes, for seriously crap days or you walk out to a flat.

zerolight
    Free Member

Just about to order EX471 rims. 32 spokes front and rear. Supermax hub up front, Hope Pro 4 hub out back in black. Sapim race spokes in black. Will be built with the nipples that DT ship with the wheels. Am I missing anything? Using PT Cycles.

jnm1
    Free Member

Looks good, enjoy them

zerolight
    Free Member

Cheers. Ordered earlier today.

By the way, the oval chain ring (34/30 oval) almost feels like cheating. Cycled with a friend today and found that on the climbs I was pulling away. Lots of PRs. Very pleased with it.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Anyone got a link for a 203mm lefty brake adaptor?

astormatt
    Free Member

When i was looking for a 203mm adaptor i read that cannondale only warrant a 180mm rotor on the lefty and I guess they don’t make them because of that reason.

zerolight
    Free Member

TFT have the parts in now for the 2spring upgrade. I’m going to strip mine down this week and send it off for the work to be carried out Friday. Get it back early next week.

zerolight
    Free Member

ssmith – when you removed your lefty using the mallet and plastic tubing – I presume the 40mm OD tubing doesn’t fit, did you use 32mm pipe and just balance it against one edge of the steerer tube?

zerolight
    Free Member

Well that was fairly straight forwards. I stripped the stem and what not off the bike then initially tried a mallet with a cork block in between but that didn’t seem to have any affect, so I tried the mallet direct to the steerer, but flipped 90 degrees so I was hitting it gently with a large flat side of the mallet head rather than the face of the head. Two gentle taps and it dropped. The issue I had, as ssmith points out, is that it then catches firmly half way out. I ended up getting a second hammer and placing the wooden edge gently on the end of the steerer and tapping it, alternating sides, and it popped out easily enough.

I’d have liked to have had the ernie tool to make it easier and less fiddly though. Maybe next time. Anyway, all packed up and ready to go.

zerolight
    Free Member

Actually, this looks perfect for the job. 38.1mm wooden dowel.

http://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/ash-dowels-config-1151

dahedd
    Free Member

Question?
    Are other shocks compatible with the Trigger or does it have to be the Dyad shock?

Mate has one & the noise its making is not good. Squeaks & groans with every pedal. He’s going to get it fixed on warranty but if not he’s thinking of swapping it out all together.

astormatt
    Free Member

Unfortunately, only shock is the Dyad as it’s a pull shock.

zerolight
    Free Member

The squeak will be the sag indicator. Just pull the metal bar out and store it someplace safe for when you need it. Squeak will be gone.

jnm1
    Free Member

Definitely want to hear how the new solo springs go.

jnm1
    Free Member

Anyone know where to buy the cable ties from the lefty? I could get other ones easily but if the stock are available I’d just use that.

astormatt
    Free Member

Do you mean cable ties or cable guides?

zerolight
    Free Member

TFT just called. My Lefty is on the way back now with the 2Spring upgrade. Shame I won’t have my new wheels until next week.

Whilst I have the bike up on the workstand with the fork removed I decided to re-organise the cables so they flow better – moving my rear gear cable and right mounted travel lever through the Lefty and moved the the dropper and rear brake to the opposite side. Looks much cleaner.

I noticed that there’s been quite a bit of cable rub on the underside of the downtube since I bought the bike, just behind the headtube, where the cables flow out towards the bars. If you haven’t already, I suggest you stick some helicopter tape in there to protect your carbon frame.

jnm1
    Free Member

zero yup that’s the ties I need, out of stock though. I busted one in a crash and I wanna get it back to right.

I took all the stickers off the lefty, have some vinyl coming that if it works well as a wrap I’ll post pics. I think it will look good if the vinyl itself is as nice as it looks in the pics and if my skills are up to snuff. Not the entire fork top to bottom, leaving some black showing. But I also like hot it looks jet black with the all black stickerless rims, black spokes, tires etc. So not a total loss if it doesn’t work.

jnm1
    Free Member

zero… also you should ride 1 upgrade at a time anyhow so you can really ascertain what changes you notice are from the upgrade. If you have a new fork spring, new front wheel, and presumably a different tire relationship to the rim (if not also a new tire) it will be impossible to know what changes are attributed to what.

zerolight
    Free Member

Built the bike back up. Factory wheels. Only had a short ride up the street and down a grassy hilly trail at the end of it. Lefty definitely feels different. I’d say small bump is more sensitive and there’s definitely a bit more support / different feel at the end of the travel. I’m going by memory.

jnm1
    Free Member

Obviously not this clunky but I think it could work. Not sure how well the backing is going to stick though. Think I’ll give it a shot.

zerolight
    Free Member

Noooooo! I love the factory decals.

jnm1
    Free Member

The decals are gone and not coming back. If the wrap doesn’t work out I’ll leave it black.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I think the factory graphics are quite eighties style!

jnm1
    Free Member

They’re not bad just not very unique or fun.

zerolight
    Free Member

Is that a cable looping across the front of your crank JNM1?

jnm1
    Free Member

Thats just how they are, it’s the dyad lever, never bumped it, will check if it could be tightened up tho

zerolight
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just the perspective of your photo, it looks like its quite clear of the frame in a big loop. It should come straight down, against the middle of the metal protector plate and the up the under the downtune. Nice smooth run, and well clear of the cranks, and definitely not looping under the frame ready to catch a root.

If it’s too long, it’s really easy to shorten. Cut the cable end cap off, loosen the grub screw on the shock, pull the cable out the bottom, and up inside the outer, chop the outer down, feed the cable back through the shock, press the barrel at down slightly then tighten the barrel grub screw again (that pre-tensions the cable a wee bit), chop off the excess and fit a new cap. Takes about 5 mins. Or just push/pull the excess cable up to the bars instead.

jnm1
    Free Member

I shortened it a bit with a much, much easier way. I just gave a gentle tug on the lockout switch cable from the headtube.

Not wild about the vinyl. It’s more the vinyl itself isn’t enough red. I think Ill be sticking with all black but will keep it a bit and see if it grows on me.

zerolight
    Free Member

Let’s see a photo of the finished fork?

I’ve got my ex471s on now. Looking forward to taking it out for a spin. Loving the hope hub sounds though the dramatically more rapid engagement makes the higher gears clunk a bit. That’ll take some time to get used to. Liking the 32 spokes up front over the 24 on the Mavic.

I almost want to replace the 105 hub on my road bike with a Hope just for the clicking.

zerolight
    Free Member

Almost done with mine. Still need to sort out the tyre pressures and fit a goatlink. Shame the new fabric saddle is more black /orange than the claimed black / red.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.