Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • jnm1
    Free Member

Yeah but he’s going like a foot off the ground at best, he’s not even 5 yet

ssmith1979
    Free Member

@jnm1 – interesting, thanks – I’ll check that and confirm tonight. If you are right (as I expect you are) it might just be that a change of brake adapter is required. Will confirm later.

I didn’t trial fit the hub because I double checked it was the correct part with CSG (UK distributor for Cannondale!) before ordering from my local cannondale dealer. With hindsight, that was an error!

@Zero – I have had a handbuilt set of wheels built up around the Stans Flow MK3. DT350 hub on rear. Not ridden yet but nice looking and dead solid. When I have a front wheel I’ll let you know!

zerolight
    Free Member

@ssmith – I’m not even sure you need to change the adaptor. The more I look at the trigger setup, the more I think it’s running a Supermax hub, albeit made by Mavic, with the correct adaptor on there.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Success! Well partial at least.

Now I am not being a numpty with the retaining bolt the hub fits the spindle and spins freely.

The spokes do however foul the brake caliper and it is easy to see that thr disc is out of alignment by at least 5mm, possibly more.

So hopefully all i need now is the correct brake adapter! Any ideas? (Not googled yet).

And fyi, if you do end up with the cannondale hub the retaining cap for the bolt is removed with a shimano cassette removal tool. After much swearing with pin pliers!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

And so according to this the correct brake adapter is a KH130 available from UK here.

Arriving soon and will report back. Hopefully nearly sorted all thanks to this thread. Thank you.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

This thread delivers again! Glad it’s sorted. Just for info my mavic crossmax xl’s are the supermax fitting and fitted my 2015 Trigger Carbon 2 perfectly, no need to change adaptors or anything.

jnm1
    Free Member

I was able to do mine without the tool, didn’t give me any issues.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Ashy, out of interest how are you defining “supermax fitting”?

According to Mavic or another means?

zerolight
    Free Member

Ssmith – looking again at your photos, you have a different brake adaptor than I do. I think the cheaper Mavic wheels on the Trigger C2 are of the Supermax variety but those on the Team are regular Lefty hubs. Hence JNM1 AND Ashy being able to drop on Supermax wheels without the adaptor, you needing the adaptor, and astormatt needing no adaptor for the regular Lefty Cobalts. Here’s my bike, similar perspective, looks like a different adapter. Not to mention that the hub on mine is right up close to the fork like your new supermax.

jnm1
    Free Member

I believe my stock adaptor for the front is KH130

zerolight
    Free Member

ssmith – make sure you put that retaining outer cap back on with some blue locktite. It’s only supposed to be tightened a little, not cranked up. Mine fell off last month – fortunately on a pathway leading to the trails so I heard it ding on the ground and found it. I think it must have loosened when I removed the wheel to get it in the back of a mates car. As you say, nips up with a cassette tool.

zerolight
    Free Member

ssmith – Looking forward to your thoughts on the Flows once you get going. They are tempting over the Arch, but I suspect they are too much wheel for my uses, and with the Arch I can re-use my 2.25/2.35 Wild Grip’R for now. Still, I could go Flow and move the 2.35 to the rear and buy a new front. 😯

zerolight
    Free Member

Got my 60mm Cannondale stem through from R2 today to give my Large the same steering feel as the Medium. I was worried it would shorten the feel of the bike, but it doesn’t at all. I think it’s taken some weight off my hands which is nice, and it feels better on tight turns.

My Fire-Eye PJ-ACR flat pedals came over the weekend too, which replaced my borked Superstar Nano X. They feel and look very nice and worked great over the weekends big cycle.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Zero – your theory seems entirely plausible. Way to be certain is that there is some writing on the edge of the brake adapter. I’ll get a picture of mine and post it tonight – be interesting to see yours and JHM’s too as is difficult to tell from the photo you have posted.

For info – I have my 2.35 Mountain Kings inflated on the rear – and to be honest they are not discernably wider than when they were on the 22mm Mavic rims. I wouldn’t be too concerned about running the 2.25 on there.

And see your point on Flow vs. Arch. Thing that sold it to me was that the MK3 is only 19g heavier, but a whole lot stronger!

easygirl

I’ve gt an unused 180 mm disc supermax brake adaptor spare if you need to try /buy
    650b

ssmith1979
    Free Member

@easy – you have mail to your profile address, thanks.

zerolight
    Free Member

Ssmith. The bracket type is printed on the inside of the bracket. Here’s mine.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Zero: Yep – that would appear to be a KH130 Supermax to Supermax adapter. Mine is different, proving your theory that the Crossmax SLR’s that come on the team were a standard lefty hub, not a supermax one.

If I knew how to post pictures I’d post a copy of the table sent by CSG that confirms various compatibility and adapters. Email in profile if you’d like me to send it to you.

Thanks for posting the pic.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@ Zero.That’s exactly the same as the one on my Carbon 2. God knows why they thought it wise to mix and match across the model range. Bonkers.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Does anyone else find the stone guard rubs on the fork when it compresses?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Yep, a little bit. I found pulling more brake line through the cable tie on the guard ( so between the caliper and the cable tie) helped to hold it away from the strut leg. There looks to be a piece of material designed as a slider there anyway though?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes there is but seems it would be easier to make the guard a little wider.

zerolight
    Free Member

My guard doesn’t run at all. Try taking the caliper off, flipping it 360, and putting it back on. Creates a bow in the cable that pushes it clear of the rotor and it’s not so tight against the guard either.

jnm1
    Free Member

So I called my shop on the spring recall/upgrade that I just heard about. They don’t handle it since there’s a huge service center close enough by. They said that the center usually will do auxillary work like rebuild it in 160mm guise. So CDale pays for the tear down and new spring, I pay for whatever else is required to put it back as a 160mm shock. Waiting for the shop to get back to me but hopeful I can get out of this for cheap.

jnm1
    Free Member

$45 to extend it to 160mm while they do the recall. Done. Will probably drop it at the shop after Saturday’s ride.

zerolight
    Free Member

No risk to the frame from the leverage of a longer fork? I’ve only ever bottomed out my Lefty when the bearings have needed a reset, which I now do monthly to keep it tip top. Your son gets more air than I do though!

jnm1
    Free Member

Cant see that being a big deal, it supposedly changes it 1*.

I should learn how to do that reset. I have watched videos but it still skeeves me out opening the fork myself.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You don’t need to open a Supermax to reset the bearings.

jnm1
    Free Member

It may not be a full tear down but anytime the parts start being disassembled I take it to the shop. Brake pads and cassettes are as involved as I get, I’m expected to do something boneheaded. I once forgot to tighten the bolts on the stem on my road bike after dropping a spacer. That was fun.

zerolight
    Free Member

Let all the air out of the fork and fully compress it. . Lift the bars and then bounce the front wheel down to the ground pushing down through the bars. Repeat until the travel indicator is 20mm (I think, check manual) from the bottom of the shaft. Re-inflate fork. You need to do it every half dozen or so rides.

jnm1
    Free Member

Interesting, the ones I saw had a removal of the switch work and upper part of the strut. Then I found this, why are they removing the core too, is that necessary?

https://vimeo.com/110524680

jnm1
    Free Member

Or are they doing it to make it easier to hold the valve open

jnm1
    Free Member

Ok well I just did it with a buddy’s help. Definitely got it set a lot lower and it definitely feels a whole lot smoother now.

zerolight
    Free Member

You had to dismantle the switch on earlier versions. The Supermax is a different beast entirely and was redesigned this way. See page 15 of the manual.

http://cf-prd.cannondale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Dorel/Cannondale/Common/Support/HEADSHOK/lefty%20supermax%202%202015/013_OMS_SUPERMAX_131581_EN.ashx?vs=1&d=20150820T110050Z

zerolight
    Free Member

Glad you got it sorted. I found mine needed done once a month. I asked TFTuned if this was a fault as the manual says every 50 hours. They send every half dozen or so rides was about normal. Price to pay for sensitivity.

jnm1
    Free Member

Welp now that it’s reset and dialed in again it’s making me question the whole 160mm thing. It feels nice and smooth for the full stroke again.

First ride on the 203mm rear. Not a great test ground but initial impression is it feels more smooth and better modulation, I felt I could get deeper into a section before braking and then not lock the rear, get in get out, but could just be the newness factor.

zerolight
    Free Member

So I’ve spent entirely too much time researching new rims for next month. I’ve narrowed it down to these:

Stans Arch Mk3 – advantage, I can get a rear for £50 cheaper than the others from Merlin, on Hope hub. Would order the front from PTCycles (they have the 32 hole hub). Downside, no reviews anywhere and the consensus seems to be Stan are a little soft.

DT Swiss XM481 – seems to be the new hotness – reviews well, strong, reasonably light. Only downside, apart from the £50 premium over the Arch since Merlin don’t build them, the 30mm rim might be a smidge too wide for my Wild Grip’r 2.25 Advanced, therefore necessitating a new tire too.

DT Swiss EX471 – strong, proven, well reviewed. Only 25mm feels less future proofed than the XM481. Perhaps over engineered for my needs.

I don’t do big drops (only small ones :D) and I don’t jump. So really, the Arch is probably fine. However there are sections of my local trail that get fast and rocky so I think the burlier XM/EX rims might be wise. I’m tempted to get the EX so I don’t need to worry about tires, but I think I’ll go for the XM and try the 2.25 on it.

Any thoughts? Am I over-thinking? Initially I just wanted better wheels than the Crossrocs, but quickly that spirals into best bang.

zerolight
    Free Member

Forgot to say, I’m running a 2.35 up front and a 2.25 at the back, so it’s only the back that is the immediate challenge on the XM.

jnm1
    Free Member

Future proofed for what? The rims will always be useable, these bikes came with 19mm and people happily run them all day long with no issues. Mine are 26mm, it’s just about right for 2.35. It’s not like you’d tear some non boost wheels apart for a boost bike one day, just build new wheels with as wide as you want then.

It isn’t just about drops and jumps it also gives a much better shape to the tire and a bed that won’t collapse on itself when rolling the tire.

Kinda crappy pic but you can see how the tire doesn’t muffin top out around the wide rim as much as the 19. That billowing on the narrower rim detracts from cornering. 25 imo is plenty, 30 is probably too much.

zerolight
    Free Member

Cheers JNM. When I said future proofed – I am kinda expecting with the rush to 30mm rims it’s only a matter of time until we see new tires that really optimise their use. It’s still a toss up between the EX471 and the XM481 but I think I’m going to give the XMs a go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.