Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • granny_ring

Great pic Jason.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Yossarianlives keep all your packaging and if the bikes too big pauls will exchange it as long as they have the size you want. My large is going back tomorrow for a medium i just have to pay for the return postage.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Convinced myself to go for a 3, but sold out in large, then figured what the hell check the 2, sold out in large..

May yet still grab a 4

urobike
    Free Member

I bought the Trigger 4 in medium – now waiting for it to arrive. Can someone advise me on tubeless set up? Can I take the tubes out put valves in and fill with Stans and keep the wolverines? Has anyone done this? How much Stans should I put in?

barrykellett
    Free Member
    hammerite
    Free Member

Urobike – I did my switch to tubeless just earlier today (Trigger 3). I also swapped the tyres for some high rollers.

But yes, assuming the 4 has the same wheels/tyres as the 3 it should just be a case of taking out the tubes and putting the valves in place. Then putting the sealant in. It’s the first time I’ve tried to go tubeless so I probably used a bit too much sealant, Stans recommend 60-90ml per wheel, I probably used 120ml.

The Wolverines with tubes seemed to sit quite well as they took a bit to take off initially, so should be fine.

urobike
    Free Member

Why is everybody swapping out the Wolverine tyres? Are they very poor in the wet? What is the best tyre set up for mud, wet rocks and roots?

Harry_the_Spider

Dunno. My Wolverines haven’t tried to kill me yet, but I’ve only done 1,100 km on them.

sargey

Arrrgh!! Resisted for 3 weeks but just ordered a medium trigger.

andyl
    Free Member

arghh I couldnt hold out any longer in case the medium Trigger 4’s sold out.

I was very tempted by a Jekyll but the Trigger feels like the right choice as I like a good fun bike to chuck around and non-scary speeds.

Jonnyt – where did you get the replacement headset for a tapered fork?

binners

Well mine was christened yesterday:

First impressions:

1. It looks bloody lovely in the stealth Black
    2. The short travel/long travel settings are a revelation. It still felt really tight, and not too bouncy, even in 150mm mode.
    3. Even a total dim-wit like me can set it up. I worked my magic at 10 o clock on Saturday night after a few beers – what could possibly go wrong? On Sunday It just felt bang on right from the off, with the recommended settings. No tinkering required. If it ain’t broke… etc.
    4. Its seriously quick downhill. We rode some pretty rocky stuff yesterday, and I was barreling down it. It was confidence inspiring straight away. So skill compensation in full effect! I laid waste to all my previous Strava times. I’m still slower than everyone else, but everything’s relative.
    5. Its more than likely going to put me in hospital fairly soon, due to technology induced delusions about my skill level (see point 4)

I thought the tyres may try to kill me. They didn’t. And we waded throgh some seriously slippy stuff. But then I’ve been known to run Small Block 8’s well into autumn. I thought I’d hate the bars. I didn’t. With the short stem, they felt suited to the taller front than I’m used too, so I didn’t feel I needed a riser. So they can stay puit for the time being. I’m putting the chunkier grips on though. Got a set of North Shores ordered.

All in all, if yesterday was anything to go by, I think we’re going to get on very, very well indeed. Its more bike than I’ll ever need, but I can live with being overbiked 😀

binners

Oh… and the Magura Storm 4 pot brakes, which I’d never even heard of before, could probably stop a car!

mttm
    Free Member

I spotted a few of those shiny black ones at Llandegla yesterday, and I did wonder how many of them were related to this thread. They do look good in black – but I prefer my blue one!

Harry_the_Spider

5. Its more than likely going to put me in hospital fairly soon, due to technology induced delusions about my skill level (see point 4)

Cobblers. Mine hasn’t put me in hospital, but only because I didn’t go. After 10 weeks I’m still struggling to turn pages with my left hand as thumb and fore finger are not quite in synch with each other. Great bike though 😀

jonnyt
    Free Member

Jonnyt – where did you get the replacement headset for a tapered fork?

Only option seemed to be the official Cannondale one – KP205. Only place I could find that had it in stock at the time was Bike24 in Germany. Doesn’t come with a star nut or top cap.

Still not managed to get out on it yet. Sounds like the stock forks work well, thinking I probably should have tried them first as a comparison.

RustyNissanPrairie

Took my Jekyll to ‘Degla yesterday for its first proper ride out and …….wow I can see how this bike helped win an Enduro Championship!!!

The climb/descend function works so well, running 1×10 and rode up everything which is unusual for me and proper caned it on the flat/pedally bits

Love the chassis stiffness – I like to man handle bikes and force them into stuff, the previous Prophet used to squirm in protest – the Jekyll is rock solid stable with not a hint of flex.

Suspension still needs a bit of twiddling as I think the sag is a little too big and I fully bottomed everything out hucking off a big roller that I was going far too fast to speed jump/pump! But definitely shows great promise. Feels like a DH bike in descend mode and almost hardtail like in climb

Brakes are a little down on power compared to my previous set ups but a 203mm disc might bring it back a bit, certainly down on power compared to a friends SRAM Guides on a Transition Patrol.

All in all a great bike for full on DH lite/Enduro hooning at a bargain price.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I sold a few bits, so I only owe the credit card £700 – for a Carbon Trigger 2 😮

andyl
    Free Member

Binners – that black Trigger 3 looks damn good. Was tempted as I normally build black bikes but they sold out so the blue is an unusual choice for me. Better wheels than the 4 too but I will be changing them for something wider and lighter anyway.

Jonnyt – that was the only place I saw it. Shame you can’t just buy the top bearing parts, tempted to see if I can get them from my local dealer or just turn up a small reducer myself. I am wondering if going for a Pike is silly but I really want one. The Fox fork is not very saleable though as it’s a straight 1.5″ so not many people realise they can fit them to 44mm standard frames so tempted to build up a 45650b. Shame those rear hubs don’t look like they can be adapted from 142×12 to 135×10.

hammerite
    Free Member

Chunky – you sound like me justifying the purchase to the OH!

fedormega
    Free Member

Can anyone please confirm that the Trigger 4 SLX rear mech has the clutch as I’m looking to go 1×10. Spoke to a guy at Paul’s Cycles who was surprised that the Trigger 4 in front of him had a clutch as he was pretty sure that they did not.

I asked him if they could send me one with a clutch and he said that they couldn’t guarantee that as it was, “crazy busy” there trying to get all these Triggers sent out ASAP.

I know it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t come with one, but less time swapping parts over is more time to rip it up 😡

Harry_the_Spider

Mine has a clutch.

longmover
    Free Member

My Trigger 4 has a clutch. Built it last night and routed a Reverb Stealth internally which was surprisingly easy, still need to chop down some of the Reverb hose and stick on some frame protection patches.

mttm
    Free Member

My Trigger 4 has a clutch, and I’ve already done the 1×10 thing on it – and it works great.

rascal
    Free Member

Trigger 4 owners…a few questions if you don’t mind…

I’ve only ridden mine twice in the dry so not really formulated my own opinion on the tyres (WTB Wolverine)…has anyone ridden them in a variety of conditions and decided to stick with them? Seems like there’s not a lot of love for them. If you’ve kept them have you made them tubeless? Still undecided whether to bother or not.

The WTB seat….how you getting on with yours? Have an urge to replace it with a Charge Spoon as I know they’re comfortable but know I should possibly give the current one a chance first – even though it looks like it could tear just by looking at it!

Currently 3 x 10 with the clutch mech…if I wanted to go 2 x 10 is it literally just a case of taking the big ring off and using shorter chainset bolts? I have a nice E13 bash but the BCD is not the same as my old 9 speed XT. TBH a bash probably isn’t needed…how have you set yours up?

Cheers in advance.

Harry_the_Spider

To quote myself.

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Dunno. My Wolverines haven’t tried to kill me yet, but I’ve only done 1,100 km on them.

Mine aren’t tubeless. I can’t be arsed changing them.

There is nothing wrong with the saddle and it hasn’t shown any sign of wear apart from some of the orange paint wearing off the rails. I think it has some sort of surface finish on it that makes it “tacky” in the wet for a bit more grip. Which is nice.

Honestly, I see no need to change anything straight out of the box. Ride it for a couple of months then decide.

mttm
    Free Member

rascal:

1. WTB Wolverine. I’ve used these in the past, and know I don’t get on with them, so the ones on the Trigger came off without having turned in anger. I actually found them very good on any trail they could “cut” into, but they were way too “drifty” for me on anything hardpacked and rocky – you know, like a trail centre. I’m being charitable with “drifty” 😉

2. No opinion – always run a Selle Italia Flite XC – that’s what’s on now.

3. Should be, yes. And adjust the high limit screw on the front mech to stop you overshifting into the void. Not really sure what this gains you, though? You’re just limiting your top end gears and losing the weight of one chainring?

pjbarton
    Free Member

Taken my carbon 2 for one short ride around the Peak, I’m pretty blown away! It feels light even with heavy wheels. The tyres (mavic crossroad) did’t work very well, spinning on technical climbs – I may try tubeless and dropping pressure.

I was expecting the lefty to be good (i have an f29), but it was really nice having the extra travel – I think I’ll take the volume spacer out as I’m pretty light, this gives a plusher feel.

The elevate / flow modes work really well – in elevate there’s basically no bob, feels very efficient.

Dropper post is a revelation (it’s my first) – positioning the lever is tricky

Carbon cranks have already taken a whack – I bought the little boots for the ends but managed to damage halfway down.

andyl
    Free Member

From the specs page on the Paul’s Cycles website:

Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX, Shadow Plus.

So yes, should be a clutch one.

andyl
    Free Member

In light of the tyre situation, anyone got any suggestions? I currently use beavers or on one smorgs (get on really well with them) on my scandal 29er depending g on if I want a fast long distance winter ride or just a general trail ride (I am always impressed by what that little scandal can do)

Tempted just to go smorgs if they have an offer on but they are a bit heavy.

ajc
    Free Member

Just ordered a large trigger 4. I was aware of these before this thread even started and have finally got round to getting one. at 6’1″ 1/2 i’m right on the border between large and xl, but that decision was made for me when xl’s sold out. I think it will be fine as the top tube horizontal length is about 2 cm longer than the unfashionably short 10+ year old hustler it will be replacing.

ajc
    Free Member

Any views on how heavy the stock wheels are on the trigger 4 or what size of tyre you could fit on them? Would an Arch ex be much of an improvement?

hammerite
    Free Member

rascal – my last bike had a WTB saddle, always fine (even though ridiculously it was white!). This one is fine for me too.

Out on a ride on Sunday and I thought a wasp had flown up my shorts and was stinging me. I then released the end had came off the cable on the seat post dropper and was stabbing me in the leg!

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Contemplating a trigger 27.5 4 but wondered about people’s ideas on sizing.

I currently have a 16.5 slackline which according to the geometry drawings is 20mm longer than the small cannondale but 10mm shorter than the medium. That’s virtual measurement.

I am 5’7” and currently ride with a 50mm stem and find the slackline just about right size wise, probably wouldn’t want it any shorter so I guess I would be best with a medium and if it’s a touch long get a slightly smaller stem than the stock one which is also 50mm.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Mine has arrived now. Just wondering has anyone fitted a 385mm lev? Will I be able to mount the post fully inserted in the frame?

fedormega
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback regarding the clutch mech guys. Bike should be here this week so will order a narrow wide chainring later.

Has anyone tried mounting the Elevate/Flow trigger switch on the left after removing the left shifter? Does it work under the bar or not?

Jason
    Free Member

Yes. Switch on the left. It looks much neater and works fine there. I will post a picture later.

kevin1911

Right. **** it. they seem to be selling out now so I’m gonna take a gamble on a Jekyll 2. Can anyone confirm that it comes with an alu bar? The Jekyll 3 seems to get a carbon, but the 2 is listed with an alu bar which seems a bit odd.

Harry_the_Spider

Does it matter? Really? A lot of people are “worrying the arse” out of this.

Buy it.

It’s an ace bike.

easygirl

Alloy bar
    Carbon cranks
    Really nice

easygirl

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.