Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cannondale SL Trail 29 SS
  • Nobby

Any (valid) reason not to get one?

binners

It doesn’t have any gears?

afrothunder88

The eccentric BB on mine sucks. Constantly works loose and the circlip that allows the tightening bolt to be adjusted fell out. Still trying to source the correct size.

Other than that and the weird (for me) bars, its lovely. Fast, nimble and light.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobby

Had wondered about the BB which was the only negative I could find.

Just considering swapping my 26er SS for a clown-wheeled alternative.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of people were raving about them a couple of years ago when they were dirt cheap in the sales, and I seem to recall a good mag review around the same time. I’d be tempted if I had the money.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My mate just brought one.

He is changing the bars and fitting gears to it 🙂

afrothunder88

It pretty much is the only real negative. If I was buying again, I’d probably get the geared one and SS it myself with a carbon fork – the aluminum one is pretty harsh.

Hindsight!

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can’t put a suspension fork on it…..well you can but it’d have to be 120mm+ travel one.As the AC length of the supplied fork is VERY long.
    Headset is pish and replacement 1.5″ ones are’nt cheap.
    The ss freehubs don’t last long.

gringojimi
    Free Member

+1 on the crappy eccentric BB

Other than that, a pretty good off the shelf single speed. Though it made more sense to me when it was cheaper.
    Price (and spec) slowly creeps up each model year.

cupra
    Free Member

Just sold mine and kind of regretting it. Obviously I rated it. I had no issues with the ebb and found it to be a great bike for fast 1-2 hour rides.

Nobby

Hmmm, mixed views then. It would be my s*** weather goto bike so needs to be a bit resilient at least. :-/

pictonroad

I’ve just acquired one to replace a 26″ singlespeed. I’m not sure if the 2015 model which I have has a different EBB, mine doesn’t have a circlip, only ridden it a few times but it’s not shifted or creaking yet.

It’s great, really love riding it. For winter put a 2.4 chunky monkey on the front bought cheap from on one. I bet it’s 29+ compatible, the front fork has masses of clearance, be great set up like that.

I swapped the deore cranks from my old bike, and some carbon on one swoopy back bars just because one niche isn’t enough.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Re: the EBB.

The two wedges don’t tighten evenly when you tighten the bolt. It’s not a problem, just something you have to be aware of.

Tighten it then go for a short but hard pedal round the block, at the beginning one of the wedges will be at the correct tightness but the other won’t, leading to creaks and looseness. As you ride the wedges will even up, leaving them both slightly loose.

Now retighten! and you’re golden.

Now it will work without loosening or creaking. Make sure there’s a bunch of grease on all faces of the wedges.

That make sense?

—————————————————————–

Specwise I was very impressed with mine. Stans rims, pretaped for tubeless, Proper good quality tyres (none of the usual OEM rubbish there).

The only rubbish parts were the cranks and brakes, but then I have those in the bits box anyway.

Kryton57

Any (valid) reason not to get one?

At some point on the past you scoffed at me when I was thinking of getting one, something to do with “clown” wheels…

pictonroad

Mine has magura brakes with plastic levers. I was not prepared to put up with such nonsense but so far they’re ok.. 😳

plus-one

Cracking bike I love mine.. No bb issues yet but I did read they could be problematic(happy to replace later if needed) I swapped bars/brakes(new slx) straight away .. Chunky monkey on front(running both tubeless) put new XT crank on(cause the stock one made bike look cheap 😉

Absolute hoot to ride.. it’s my only mtb and it looks the bollox and frame is top drawer well worthy of upgrading ..

I got mine from broadribbs for £550 last year bargain !!

tomhoward

Cracking bike

*sniggers*

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale SL Trail 29 SS’ is closed to new replies.