• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Cannondale Lefty Spring wrap, sticky or squeaking?
  • rockhopper70

Need a bit of advice here.
    I sent my lefty off for a service as it was leaking oil from the damper.
    While away, the technician called to say that he didn’t have any wrap for the spring and that which was on was binding the action. The option was leave it on with some added stiction or remove it and it be a bit rattly.
    On the basis that the fork was moving fine when it was sent, I left it on.
    When I got the fork back, it hardly moved and felt almost rigid.
    I called the technician who suggested I remove the wrap, which it did as I wanted the fork moving.
    This immediately freed up the fork travel but it is as noisy as heck, squeaky and rattling.
    I suspect it is the spring inside the leg rattling round and dragging against the inside tube.
    As a bit of a makeshift solution, I have put a length of tight inner tube over the spring, just at the lower end and it is now quieter, but a little stickier.
    Checking on new springs, there are two lengths of wrap.
    Anyone know if this is a particular thickness or needs to be in a particular place in the spring?
    I can’t understand why the fork action was so bad after the service with the same spring and wrap, the only possible reason is that the oil leak was lubricationg the existing wrap. Would this have swollen though, absorbing oil?
    I’m sort of loathed to send the fork back to be looked at again as it a week of a job without it and if I can fudge something together that would be easier.
    It’s an original lefty max, 2004 vintage so has served me well and I’d like to eeeek some more life out of it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Lefty Spring wrap, sticky or squeaking?’ is closed to new replies.