• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TimP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cannondale lefty on a 2009 f4 caffeine
  • lilybone
    Free Member

Hi all I am new. I have an f4 caffeine 2009 and was wondering if it would be easy or worth it to replace the headshock with a used lefty. TIA.

ratherbeintobago

Should be easy enough; if memory serves the 2009 F1 came with a Lefty; worst case would be that you’d have to replace the headset by I assume a headshok and a lefty steerer are the same diameter.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Later Leftys have fixed upper and lower steerer clamps , so check your head tube is less and able to shim it out. Just in case !!

z1ppy

Can’t see why not BUT as much as I love lefty’s they are expensive, you’ll need some of ‘lefty’ only parts (wheel, headset, stem [unless integrated]), so realistically unless you really want a lefty (or know of a bargain), I’d say just get a normal fork to replace you headshock. The C’dale headstock may mean you don’t get a much choice headset wise but you will be able to fit a taper fork (or the old 1 1/8) to your bike.

amedias
    Free Member

If there is a Headshok (Fatty) already fitted as per your OP then the headset is the same. Conversion is simple. Bash out the Fatty, bash in a Lefty, re-fit your existing stem, add a Lefty wheel and ride away into the sunset.

Any 2nd Hand Lefty should fit from 2000 onwards (as long as it’s not an XL clamp version), and they all use the same wheel/hubs up until the SuperMax, but that would be inappropriate and probably out of budget anyway.

Older Lefty will have removable clamps, and standard Lefty steerer so your old stem will fit, newer ones the clamps are bonded to the upper and then you get choices of steerer and stem options, standard, OPI, etc.

Just need to decide what your budget is and what model you want as there’s options from 90mm – 140mm travel wise, air sprung, coil sprung and various dampers. Some of the older ones are getting hard to find parts for now, and the newer ones are easier to work on at home anyway.

TimP
    Free Member

Just a note on the stem though as you cant put anything less than 80mm on a lefty (currently playing around with all this as I recently got a 2002 F800)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151147250146?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

considering getting these to try normal forks in my frame as mine is full of weird things like long steep stems, narrow 25.4mm bars, 4 bolt hubs etc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale lefty on a 2009 f4 caffeine’ is closed to new replies.