Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cannondale Jekyl 400 frame, 2008'ish, a sound s/hand frame to build up??
  • Poopscoop

About £100. 2008ish model?
    I have most componentry to build, 26″ wheels etc.
    Not sure on that shock though, is it “home” serviceable, parts available?
    Pivots home serviceable too?

Would be built up with tapered 150mm Revelations.

Any info from Cannondale aficionados appreciated. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nearly 8 years old? Can the shock be swapped?

Poopscoop

Yeah, good question. I want to know if thew shock can at least be serviced. Looks like a factory modified float.

Also wondering if the bearings are a standard size I can source/ fit myself…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d check with majo about seal kits etc.

Poopscoop

OK,

Its actually a 2004 model from some googling.

Should also add, this would just be a Winter hack bike really. So single pivot is a plus too.

Anyway….

Would need a reducer for a tapered, not a big issue. The shock is a float R I believe so parts “should” be ok.

Just leaves pivot bearings, standard size/ availability etc.

This thread suggests a 140/150mm fork should be ok over the original 120mm as the bike has adjustable geo via the yoke on the fox float:

With a 140mm fork (511mm a-c), it’d end up with 68.5 HTA/72.5 STA, a 24.2 eTT, and a bottom bracket somewhere around 330mm. With a 150mm fork, it’s 68/72/24 and 335. These numbers are remarkably close to the numbers of a modern 26″ trail bike – the SB66 or the Blur TR.

http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/frugal-foolish-upgrading-2004-cannondale-jekyll-modern-trail-bike-897739.html

rockhopper70

I have a 2004 model one of these as my main, one and only bike!
    The shock has been serviced by tf tuned and they didnt report any problems with parts. The main differance is that it is not an end to end mount, the front mount is on a threaded trunion so the shock body is unique to this bike.
    However, I can’t see that this part would ever need replacing (fingers crossed). The shock shaft is, I am led to believe, a standard item/length so hopefully interchangable. They use the standard fox seal kits and I have home serviced mine.
    The swingarm bearings are a decent size and single pivot does lead to durability. Indeed, I’ve only had to repalce my swingarm bearings twice in 11 years. This was done without any availability or tools issues by Chevin Cycles.

Poopscoop

Hey, thanks for the informative post!

What length fork are you running mate?

rockhopper70

Mines still running the original lefty max it came with.
    Its a good fork but lots of people point at it and say it’s weird!!! 🙄

rockhopper70

As an aside, they have a top hat bush in the shock mount to the swingarm.
    I bought a heavy duty one from *insert name of comany when recalled* and it’s been a lot more durable than the original, which was made from soft cheese. Play in that can make it feel like swingarm bearings are goosed.

Ive never touched the trunion mount bearings.

lovewookie

BETD used to do heavy duty ones for fox shocks.

I’d be concerned about the bushes for the other end of the shock, are they standard DU sized same as normal shocks or are they cannondale jekyll specific? May be difficult to get hold of these days if they are.

It’s a Float RL on that, two position blue lever, lockout on or off.

Poopscoop

Great, again, thanks for the information.

No doubt I could get heavy duty bush kit from TFT unless it’s a non standard size. Though to be honest I would think it is a standard bush size for that model year float rl. Thanks for IDing the shock too.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

See here
    for what can go wrong if you are incompetent like me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Jekyl 400 frame, 2008'ish, a sound s/hand frame to build up??’ is closed to new replies.