Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cannondale Flash 29er
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Probably a stupid question, but. How tough is the alloy one? Will it take trail centre and natural Peak, Lakes & Wales type rocky trail hammering??

slowjo
    Free Member

I would be surprised if it didn’t.

Cannondale have a good reputation iirc for ally bikes.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Course it will. It’s not gonna snap the first time you ride it down a red route at your chosen trail centre. It’s a metal mountain bike frame from a reputable brand. Get one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cannondale have a good reputation iirc for ally bikes.

Yup, they have never, ever been known as Crack’n’fail, no one has ever heard them called that, ever :-p.

It’ll be fine. I used to have an F500 which was utterly ace, if a little harsh, the new ones I imagine are even better.

slowjo
    Free Member

LOL re the snap and fail…yes they did but they sorted that out didn’t they? 8)

larrydavid
    Free Member

I’ve got one – I’m not sure what you’re concerned about really. I’ve ridden mine at trail centres and over rocks and it’s been similar in durability to any other bike I’ve had (i.e. no problems bar lack of my own ability).

Although the rear wheel has gone out of true a couple of times I suspect that’s a build quality issue (I weigh 67kg and I’m not aggressive).

I expect, like any bike, if you crash a lot into trees and rocks at high speed at some point it will break – but so will you 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

LOL re the snap and fail…yes they did but they sorted that out didn’t they?

Yea, I think it was a combination of wacky designs like the Super-V and Raven, and poor QA on stuff like the Prophet when they moved to Tiawan.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The rear end looks on the slim side. I’m 69kg so not exactly massive. I guess I’ve just been used to burlier bikes 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Yea, I think it was a combination of wacky designs like the Super-V and Raven

My mate had 2 Ravens. Never broke. Had to get the 2nd one when the first melted in a house fire. 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Absolutely. I had one and used to take it on black runs and natural bouldery downhil trails and it easily took it. No sign of cracking or damage due to abuse at all.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sounds good. Tough enough to thrash and light enough to race.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Great bike- I have an alloy one and a carbon fibre one. Very tough bikes and super light. Want to buy the alloy one?!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yea, I think it was a combination of wacky designs like the Super-V and Raven, and poor QA on stuff like the Prophet when they moved to Tiawan.

No, it was the older conventional diamond frame ones that all cracked. When you sold one, you could be quite sure that at some point you’d see it again with a crack in it. To be fair it wasn’t a major issue as Cannondale were very good about replacing them.
    Most likely better these days, but even in those days it certainly wasn’t a case of it folding up under you, just that they fatigued in the end.

larrydavid
    Free Member

BTW, where did people get the (widely held imo) idea that XC race bikes are made of glass and egg shells from? I’ve seen people belting down some fairly steep/rocky/rough terrain on racey carbon hardtails without combusting.

monkeychild
    Free Member

They are aren’t they?? 😉 Matt I’ve seen your ad more pennies than I want to spend.

peteimpreza

“, and poor QA on stuff like the Prophet when they moved to Tiawan.”

The Prophet was never made in Taiwan.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I don’t think they would have propheted out of moving production to Taiwan.

Re the hardtail I’d have one in a flash.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive had a alloy f29 for almost a year now its been to all the welsh trail centers ridden clumsily crashed and abused by a 92kg oaf. Hardly a mark on it after 2000km.

Salisbury plain by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Flash 29er’ is closed to new replies.