• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by naffa.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cannondale f29 prospective purchase
  • naffa
    Free Member

Hi all I’m just looking for some real world advice. I’m thinking of buying a cannondale f29 lefty. Its had minimim use and I could deal my road bike on it.
    Has anyone got any experience of this bike they can share with me please?
    Thanks Nathan

Kieran

I’ve not had direct experience with the f29 but read lots of good things and its on my list of bikes I’d like to try as all mine are still 26″.

I do have experience with the lefty’s though and I’m sure there will be a few people who will advise against the lefty but I’m going to say go for it. I currently have 3 bikes all fitted with lefty’s and have owned probably a dozen all the way from the first ones, through the bad(ish) years of the ELO and now the modern ones. They are all fantastic.

Most of mine have gone for 2 – 3 YEARS between services with no problems, and even then I’ve only had them done because i thought maybe I should. I currently have one that has gone 7 years without a service and still rides fine. Its on my winter bike too, so you can say it doesn’t get abused.

Most I do is a bit of grease under the boot and an occasional bearing reset (5min job)

Go for it!

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve had a F29 Carbon 2 for almost a year. Absolutely love it. Can’t really comment on the alloy version ones but I know someone who has one and likes it.

A very comfortable bike due to the flexy stays and seat post (which can take a little getting used to). Lefty, I guess you’re either a fan or you’re not. Second one I’ve owned and can’t speak highly enough of it really.

Anything else you need to know?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Love mine, raced the hell out of it. Bought as I wanted a true XC hardtail and a Lefty and this was the cheapest way of getting that in a new bike.

Upgraded just about everything apart from the frame and forks.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

F29 alloy owner here. My first 29 er and its fantastic. Didn’t like the Sram stuff on it, so changed the groupset to XT, but its quick, comfortable and a really nice bike to ride.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

can i ask what size you guys went for …I am seriously considering one of these and torn between the med / large (at 5ft 10). I know the obvious answer is demo but cannot find any bikes local.

looking at the size charts the tt seems quite long – i guess for the more xc / race position.

cheers

Painey
    Free Member

I’m 6ft2 and have the large. I wouldn’t want it any bigger and fits me a treat. Handles very well on even on fairly tight/twisty tough and very stable at speed.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Also 6,2″ and riding a large.

naffa
    Free Member

All positive so far then. Any negatives.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 10 33 inside leg and ride a medium. Similar amount of seat post as Mr Chef above.

cokie

There’s an interesting thread going on PinkBike, HERE

endoverend

deleted

otsdr
    Free Member

Warranty issues can be a pain regardless of the manufacturer.
    On an unrelated note, does it come with an OPI wedge or do you need to go back to the shop afterwards?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Downsides are that nobody has a spare front wheel you can use if you trash yours on Friday warm up and need to race Saturday, and that nice Thule roof rack needs an adaptor to fit the Lefty. Otherwise they are/can be blindingly fast and fun.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Perhaps a little cheeky but I am selling my Cannondale Hi mod hardtail with XTR, XX and Xt groupset if you’re interested! It’s a medium too and black and white with a 2014 carbon Lefty XLR fork with Rockshox lockout. I have an old alloy one too and the only reason I am selling my carbon one is that I have a fantastic opportunity to buy a 2015 model from a mate. Great bikes and I’d be reluctant to ride any other suspension fork. Great fork and I’ve never had a problem with the carbon lefty or the alloy PBR one. If you’re interested I’ll send you some pics and some more details. It’s on ebay too.

Cheers,

Matt

naffa
    Free Member

Hi Matt I’m not buying mate but swopping my road bike for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale f29 prospective purchase’ is closed to new replies.