Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cannondale CAAD X: Can I put bigger discs on?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is any limit on the size of disc I can put on my CAAD X? It came with a 140 and 160mm. Could I increase these to 160 and 180mm without worrying about the carbon fork? Cheers.

amedias
    Free Member

I’d ask Cannondale directly, 180mm seems excessive for a road/cx bike, and a lot of Carbon forks have a 160 limit, regardless of any physical issues with space, so I’d check in case it voids any warranty (assuming you have one?).

Are you having issues with the brake performance? Maybe look at pads (and possibly cables) for improvements as you should have more than adequate braking even with the little discs really

whereisthurso
    Free Member

The bike came with jagwire cables which I know to be pretty good. The cable runs are all pretty direct too. Might try changing the stock pads for something else but what should it be? At the moment they’re just as bad as rim brakes would be in the wet so I would have expected better. My other thought was to change to TRP spyres as they seem to be well thought of. I used to have BB7s on a mountain/road hybrid which I recall as being a lot better than the stock ones on this bike. I don’t really want to shell out any cash on the commuter bike but equally I don’t want to end up under a bus because my brakes don’t work.

aP
    Free Member

If you only ever use it to commute you’ll never have got the discs and pads up to temperature. Take it out and either round ride as long as you can with the brake levers pulled (so that you can still ride against the resistance) or find a really long hill and pedal down it with the brakes on.
    The terrible brakes on my awful Trek Portland which I used to commute 190 miles a week on only properly bedded in after I did the Gravel Dash last year with some good descents along the way.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I found the brakes on my Caad X awful at first and ordered some Spyres to replace them . In the week it took for the Spyres to arrive the original brakes , Promax Renders had improved no end , in fact when I fitted the Spyres they were not really an improvement . Hydraulic are definitely a lot better though .

scotroutes

You’ll easily glaze pads if commuting in traffic, plus they can get contaminated from road muck. Advice above about getting them hot once in a while is spot on. It was a fortnightly exercise for me. I’d just take a small detour down a decent hill and pedal like crazy with the brakes on.

FWIW, larger rotors will exacerbate this situation.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Right I’ve tried new sintered pads and fettled all I can with these brakes and if anything they’re even worse and squealing too. Pretty much nothing happens when I grab the brakes in the dry so I’d have no chance in the wet. They’re for the bin.

Has anyone had any success with the trp cable to hydraulic calipers?

breadcrumb

I can’t fault my BB7s on my cross bike.

Have you bedded the pads in as suggested above?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Rather than sintered pads I’d go for the softest pads available for commuting (resin in the case of Shimano).

boblo
    Free Member

I have a CAADX and changed to Spyres as they were offered cheap. They’re great, no issues at all. I have BB7’S on another boik that are very similar though there’s more lever pull before it all happens. The Spyres are easier to set up than BB7’s.

I wouldn’t piss about with hydro/cable hybrids. Go for 685’s if you really want hydros though IME, they’re not necessary on the CAADX.

cp

Right I’ve tried new sintered pads

You probably should have tried different organic or resin pads. Sintered will give you less powerful very squealy brakes until very well bedded in.

dave661350

I have had a CAADX for 18 mths. Brakes were so so to start with, then I did a very long steep descent locally and that seemed to do the trick. Same pads now and never had an issue with them at all. Are the rotors totally clean of oil/contaminant ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale CAAD X: Can I put bigger discs on?’ is closed to new replies.