Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cannondale CAAD 8 Sora 2012 should I or shouldn't I?
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Okay I’m close to buying this but just wanted a 2nd opinion.

I like the design and the fact its discounted due to being last years model. I’m happy that the CAAD frame is a well regarded one, the reviews everywhere seem to suggest it’s one of the better lower end frames with good geo.

This is my first road bike, I’m looking for something that I’d use for weekend rides with friends who have recently started cycling.

Are there any let downs in the spec?

wallop

Have you test ridden it?

Test ride much more important on a road bike than an MTB IMO.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

had one and loved it – fast as ****

dsb181
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden it, I was planning on ordering it and adjusting it so I’m comfortable.
    The shop is along way from me and I’m in the middle of moving to Oxford at the moment as well as working so doubt I’d have the time or means to get to ride it unfortunately.

According to the size chart and the people I’ve spoken to in bike shops I’d be a 56.

dsb181
    Free Member

Should mention that my budget is £600 max and that I’m keen to do the 0% 6 months finance as I don’t have the up front cash.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden it, I was planning on ordering it and adjusting it so I’m comfortable.

Have you at least tried one for size? Road bike sizing can be tricky, it’s not set in stone…..

Bloke brought a brand new Ribble into us the other day. He’d rung Ribble and had sizing info over the phone. The bike was still the wrong size, no 2 ways about it.

Kryton57

Hurry up – I’ve been looking at that for a winter bike, knowing someone else wants it makes it more desirable…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you at least tried one for size? Road bike sizing can be tricky, it’s not set in stone…..

Bloke brought a brand new Ribble into us the other day. He’d rung Ribble and had sizing info over the phone. The bike was still the wrong size, no 2 ways about it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Also, a Trek 1.2 is virtually identical in spec but with the better 105-style STI levers (Well worth having) and only £100 more for a brand new 2013 model….

nickc

They’re nice bikes, gf has one.

dsb181
    Free Member

Ahh okay. Thank you all for the advice, perhaps I should find somewhere locally with the 2013 and try it for size then!
    Does anybody know if the 2013 and 2012 frames are the same sizing?

Peter I looked at the Trek but prefer the Cannondale, thank you for the input about the shifters though but it’s alot more money for the shifters alone if that is the main difference in the specs.

Bregante

Great bike. I have the 105 and love it but you really need to at least sit on one for size first. I ended up with a smaller frame than all the guides indicated but I’m glad I did

parkesie
    Free Member

I can’t think of a reason not to.

whatgoesup

I’m just in the process of buying the 105 spec CAAD8 via the cycle2work scheme (pick it up on Tuesday after work) – they look like really rather nice bikes!

I compared against several other equivalent priced bikes, and they’re all pretty similar, not much to choose between them I found in terms of spec, weight etc, however the fit does change quite a lot between bikes.

One thing to wary of – sizing – according to some online sizing guides I found, I should be on a 58cm frame (6’1″) but trying actual bikes the 56 felt right, even that maybe could do with a slightly shorter stem, so do try an actual bike!

Bregante

Markwsf. Exactly the same here mate. I’ve had three road bkes previously and they were all 58’s (if anything the spesh I had was on the small side).

Sat on a 58 Caad8 and it was defo too stretched. 56 is perfect. Great bikes.

nickc

I’m curious to know how after working out a bike’s geometry and size, then going to sit on one how you end up buying a different size?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter I looked at the Trek but prefer the Cannondale, thank you for the input about the shifters though but it’s alot more money for the shifters alone if that is the main difference in the specs.

Plus you get a free first service which you don’t get by mail order, and the bike comes out of the shop ready to ride, not in a box….. That’s £80 worth alone remember. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m curious to know how after working out a bike’s geometry and size, then going to sit on one how you end up buying a different size?

Me too. But it’s seemingly quite easy to get wrong…..

whatgoesup

Bregante – that’s a great confirmation, I was a little worried by the difference between the recommended size and my actual preference as I’m coming from an MTB background.

whatgoesup

I do fully sympathise with the OPs conundrum, there’s some nice deals on paulscycles – such as the two Giant composite bikes below, which after paulscycles 11% additional cost for using cyclescheme come out at around the same price as the new CAAD 8 – for a shiny carbon bike.

Very tempted to make a last minute switch (I’ve tried non-carbon versions of these bikes and they’re both nice)

Darn you paulscycles and also darn you OP for reminding me of their existance 😉

Linky

Linky

Harry_the_Spider

Do it.

I bought a load of them from Paul’s last year for the works R2T scheme and some Scott S50s the year before.

Nice bits of kit.

Bargain at <£600.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Get it. I’ve got a 2011 CAAD8 Sora. Really good bike and the Sora works fine, shifts really smoothly and quietly – I’m glad I didn’t spend more on the 105 version I can’t see 105 offering any benefits over Sora other than a few grams of weight, and its not worth it for the extra couple of hundred quid. This bike provides a good basis for decent upgrades too if you really take to cycling in a more serious way.

I’m not a great believer in the test ride thing. Yes to try for size, but it takes more than a few circuits of a car park, or even one road ride to get to know a bike and get a feel for it. And where’s the fun in buying a new bike that feels like your old one? Nothing wrong with getting used to and adapting to a new bike so long as its fundamentally the right size.

I got a 54 cm which fits fine but I reckon I could have also got away with the 52cm size, but they had none in stock to try for comparison, but definitely not the 56cm. I’m 5’9″ with a 30″ inside leg.

dsb181
    Free Member

Awesome advice wobbliscott, really helpful.

As far as upgrades go have you altered yours in anyway?

I was perhaps a little to quick to assume that I needed a 56, I’m 179 tall and my inside leg measures 86.

I phoned the shop and the guy said they still have plenty in stock, has anybody managed to wiggle any further discount or freebies from Pauls, I know so places are more generous than others never any harm in asking I guess. -20% already is a large lump of saved cash already though!

ian martin
    Free Member

I’m about your height and normally ride 18″ mountain bikes and 56cm road bikes but I found that a Canondale 56cm was way too long but a 54cm spot on.

clubber
    Free Member

my wife has the same bike. a lot of bike for the money.

dsb181
    Free Member

Back from Oxford where I nipped round lots of bike shops looking for Caad 8’s to try.

58 was huge, 54 felt okay and I feel I could have ridden it but I didn’t feel low enough on the bike and the guy said it looked short on me.

I felt more at home on the 56, it was worth checking though for sure.

They had the exact bike in one of the shops but it was a 58 and at full price. I did feel a bit guilty knowing that I’m ordering online but using the shop to try the bikes for size 🙄

So now to “Pull the trigger” (Blurgh I hate it when people say that!) on the bike before I change my mind or find a better deal, thank you all for helping me out.

Any other advice or comments on the bike…..

Are clip in shoes and pedals worth it to start?
    Is it worth getting a better set of brake pads as with the defy they are iffy?

Thanks all!!

TiRed

Have you bought it yet? I’m 179 and same inside leg. Son1 has the Tiagra version in a 54. You may need a longer stem, but the 54 is the right size for you. Stock, the 54 comes with a 100 mm stem and about an inch of spacers, and shops won’t change this just for you to sit on. If I want to ride ours, a 120 stem is all that is needed.

Great frames, really excellent, heavy wheels, terrible tyres. Upgrade in that order. In fact ditch the tyres straight away and swap for something nicer. Ours is running green Ultremos as they were on offer from Sport Pursuit a while back and match the frame.

And Shimano spds are fine to start, you may eventually want some road shoes, but it’s not a big deal. I rode for years with mtb shoes as I wanted grip to hold a tandem up.

dsb181
    Free Member

Damn you!!

Haha not ordered just yet, remeasured myself and 179 is correct but inside leg is more like 87.

Perhaps I need to take both sizes for a ride as I only sat over them?

dsb181
    Free Member

My arm span is 182 if it makes any difference? This is possibly why the 56 felt better? But I’d not thought too much into swapping for longer stems ect.
    I see to have gangly legs and arms!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m around 182 and ride a 56cm CAAD4, after a lot of faffing with finishing kit it feels right, although I’ve never had it professionally ‘fitted’. Based on the size charts I’m borderline a 58 i think.

mboy
    Free Member

Would say at your height, with long limbs, err on the side of the 56 rather than the 54. A guy I ride with occasionally is less than an inch taller than me, but has legs like a supermodel and arms like a gibbon, as a result he rides a road bike a size bigger than I do to feel comfy on it.

cookeaa
    dsb181
    Free Member

Yea I agree mboy, the 56 did feel like “the one” when I sat on it, the 54 could probably be made to feel more comfortable with a longer stem but I’m still not 100% about which is right, I’m going to go back to the shop tomorrow and try both again.

cookeaa they only have that bike in a 51.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

dsb, no I’ve not upgraded anything on the bike. I rode it alot last year and was considering some new wheels, but it would have been for bling factor if I’m truly honest with myself. I’ve not ridden it at all thus year ad I’ve been hammering the MTB, but will be taking her to the southern Alps later this year, so will need to blow the dust off her soon!

dsb181
    Free Member

Yea for sure I’m set on this bike, I really liked the look and feel of it when I saw it earlier, just need to pick the right size now! Driving me nuts trying to figure it out.

TiRed

Sounds like either could fit. Put your hands on the hoods and lean forward (as if in a breakaway 😉 ). With the saddle set correctly (knee over pedal), your elbows should bend at 90 degrees (or a little more). Put your hands on the drops and your elbows should have a little bend. This should feel comfortable for reach and drop if you want to be efficient.

The smaller frame will put more weight over the front wheel and have the possibility of a lower front – although the CAAD8 has quite a long head tube. I doubt this will be an issue though to be honest.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale CAAD 8 Sora 2012 should I or shouldn't I?’ is closed to new replies.