Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cannondale caad 8 sizing
  • adam5555

Hi,

I’m looking to get a caad 8 from the bike to work scheme as my first road bike. My employer only allows you to buy a bike from one online retailer so trying out the bike for sizing is not going to happen. Can any caad8 owners tell me how they size up? I’m 5,10″ so come in between a 56cm and a 58cm if I go by there sizing guide.

Thanks

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

56cm unless you have a massive inside leg

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride 56, borderline 58. At 5ft10 I’d say you’re more like 54, only 56 if you like/need a long bike (do you have really short legs and a long torso/arms?)

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 with 31cm inside leg and i’ve got a CAAD 10 in a 56cm

swavis

I’m 6’2″ and ride a 58. It’s the older 2011 version with the normal English BB so not sure if that makes any difference.

TiRed

I’m 5’10,5″ and my son has a 54cm with a 100 stem. I’d ride it with a 120cm stem. If you are of normal body proportions, I’d suggest a 54.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ with a 30″ inside leg and have a 54cm 2011 CAAD8, which is probably just about perfect and as large as I could go. I probably oould have got away with a 52cm. There isn’t much seat tube showing.

verses

I’m 5’11” with a 32″ inside leg and have a 56cm 2011 CAAD8.

When I first got it I felt quite stretched out on it and wondered if I should have gone for the 54cm, but I was new to road bikes.

Once I got used to it it felt like a good fit.

The only thing I changed was to roll the bars “upwards” a little. I toyed with getting a shorter stem for a while, but now I’m used to the position I’m glad I didn’t.

Crag
    Free Member

5’10” here with 31″ inside leg on a 54cm here. Stem could do with being a little longer but otherwise good fit. 58cm will be mahoosive for you.

Not that I’m condoning it, but have you got an Evans or similar close to you? I slung a leg over a 56cm and it was like a garden gate.

federalski
    Free Member

I’m nearly 6 foot 3 and have a 58. Though I could probably get away with a 60.

Bregante

6’1 here and Cannondales guiding sized recommended a 58 or 60. I’ve only ever had 58 & 60 cm frames before but with the caad8 the 58 definitely felt too stretched. I’ve had my 56 since September and it’s perfect.

sofaking
    Free Member

5 10 and ride a 54 here, had a 56 before that and found it a bit too big

TiRed

OP, Where are you located? If anywhere near me you can come for a fitting (with variable lengths of stem too). But I would strongly suggest a 54. The CAAD8 has quite a tall head tube, so as others have said, a 56 can feel pretty big.

HTTP404
    Free Member

What does head tube length have to do with sizing a road bike?
    It’s all about the effective top-tube length….

TiRed

Head tube determines how low you can place the bars. It’s actually about reach rather than VTT, which is distance from BB axle to head tube. Saddle rails compensate for seat tube angle to some extent (about 2 degrees), as can an inline seatpost.

Hence a 54 with a 120 stem isn’t so different from a 56 with a 100 stem, except the bars won’t go as low on a 56, there will be less weight over the front wheel for stability and steering will be quicker with the shorter stem.

adam5555

Thanks for all the replies.
    Thank god I asked here instead of going with the websites sizing guide. If i was to be super accurate with my height id say 5,10″.1/2 with a pretty normal 31-32 inseam.

By all your responses it sounds like id be suited for a 54 but on the upper limit of its size. Would you say it would be better to go smaller and size up interms of stem length and spacers?
    Does it make a difference in terms of what type of riding id be doing i.e larger size for more sportive type headtube or smaller size for more head down short blasts?

TiRed im based in the North East (Berwick upon Tweed). Would love to try one for size and id be open to paying for a proper fitting if anyone knows of anywhere in Newcastle or Edinburgh.

whatgoesup

I’m 6’1″, 33-34″ inside leg and after trying a 54,56 and 58 bought a 56 recently which felt the most right after sitting on in a shop / quick rides around the block. It did feel a little stretched on the first couple of rides, but now I’ve moved my saddle back a bit it (counter-intuitively) feels right now.

I recall that the Cannondale website indicated that I was more suited to a 58, but that felt plain wrong to sit on in the flesh. This is my first road bike in years though, so it’s hard to know the difference between what is wrong and what is just different…

TiRed

Unfortunately, I’m a long way down south near London! Well the bike is – I’m in Edinburgh today. You are the same height and inside leg as me. So…

I’d recommend a 54 and a 120mm stem. Since it is a first road bike, you don’t need to slam the stem… and the bike comes with about 2cm of spacers.

FWIW, our height is at the threshold for Cannondale, Giant and a few others. You could fit either size, but the smaller bike will feel more lively underneath you – and it is a road bike.

stoney
    Free Member

Yes i`d say yiou need a 54cm.

I have close ties with my LBC and one of which they sell are Cannondale`s. Now from what i can gather from the shop floor is that you need to size down by 1 for a C.D compared to others…..

They also sell trek`s (which i have in a 56) but the equivilent C.D would be a 54. i know this as i allmost bought one for my missus (who normally is a 54) but she would have had to have a 52 in the C.D.

So, as the others have suggested ( and im 5 10″ but have a 33″ inseem) you`ll need a 54. You can alter ther reach a little with a different stem, a local shop should do this with the sale.

Hope this helps….. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale caad 8 sizing’ is closed to new replies.