• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 7hz.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cannodale Troubles?
  • professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Hi back in January i had complete frame failure on my brand new Cannondale RZ120, the rear part of the frame has snapped clean through on the drive side. I took the bike back to my dealer who promptly sent it off to Cannondale. Cannondale have agreed that it will be covered on warranty but they don’t have any replacement frames. it has been over a month and a half now and no one seems to know how much longer i am going to be without a bike for. My dealer has to speak to their distributor, who in turn emails Cannondale to find out when the new frame will be delivered so far i have no answer and was wondering if anyone else has had similar probelms and if there is anything i can do to speed up the process?

BigJohn

I think you did the right thing in initially trying the warranty route.

But now you should google your rights under the sale of goods act, print off the relevant bits and take them into your retailer and calmly explain you’ve given him enough time and you want a full refund.

Alternatively (and at your discretion) you should at least be given a roughly comparable courtesy bike while yours is being repaired (at no cost to you).

ziggy
    Free Member

Need some more info, how old is the bike?

I know that are severe issues with Cannondale warranty, mostly steming back from Cannondale offering lifetime warrantys in the past. We are talking 20 year old frames! On a material (alloy) that will eventually fatigue and break. From what I understand it’s what bankrupted them.

As above also start pestering for a complete bike if within 12 months old.

If you have no luck get back to me and I’ll have a word with tte warranty manager to see what the issue is.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Cheers, i did try the courtesy bike route – aparently Cannondale are not obliged to give me one, although i do feel i wasn’t obliged to buy a bike that fails on the mildest (sort of) of cross country routes!!

also the dealer doesn’t have any demo bikes in stock to ‘lend’ me

but yeah might try the money back trick – i do however love that bike and got a pretty good deal on it so am rather loathed to change it.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Ziggy, Bike was bought in March ’10 – aparently they are replacing only the frame – which is fine for me as the componants are non standard anyway (who puts toe clips on a full susser?)

ziggy
    Free Member

Ok I probably shouldn’t do this but call CSG on 01202 732288, ask for Ben Winter, he’s the main warranty chap.

Be nice to him, he’s a good guy, hopefully he may help you out.

druidh
    Free Member

professorfaceplant – Member
    Cheers, i did try the courtesy bike route – aparently Cannondale are not obliged to give me one, although i do feel i wasn’t obliged to buy a bike that fails on the mildest (sort of) of cross country routes!!

Then responsibility lies with your retailer, NOT Cannondale.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Good to hear you love the bike as I have been looking at maybe getting one but bad to hear of the frame failure.

Do they not have any RZ frames or just out of your model? If they didnt have yours in particular perhaps you could push for the model up?

7hz
    Free Member

I know that are severe issues with Cannondale warranty, mostly steming back from Cannondale offering lifetime warrantys in the past. We are talking 20 year old frames! On a material (alloy) that will eventually fatigue and break. From what I understand it’s what bankrupted them.

Bankrupted them when?

In 2003 they filled for bankruptcy protection due to a bad business decision to try to get into motorbikes / ATVs. This had bugger all to do with aluminium bike frame warranties.

ziggy
    Free Member

OK it was a contributing factor 🙄

They would have been bankrupt if they didn’t apply for protection. They were almost bankrupt again until Dorel bought them.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

amazing – cheers guys, Ziggy, that’s awesome, thanks loads – don’t worry i’ll be nice 🙂

Groundskeeperwilly – i’m on a large frame so not many of those around, i’d imagine the medium frame would be easier to get hold of, and as far as i can tell the RZ frames are the same through the range until you start going carbon fibre and it’s the componants that vary with price.

also according to the dealer mine was the unlucky one as none of the other bikes have failed – go for white it’s very cool

7hz
    Free Member

ziggy – where is the proof that warranty replacement of frames had anything whatsoever to do with this? That is the first time I have ever heard this being cited as a ‘contributing factor’ to Cannondales financial woes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cannodale Troubles?’ is closed to new replies.