Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Cannock's braking bumps, I've figured out why they're there (mini rant)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And he rides a 140mm Cube with 1×10 and red dereilieur outer cable.

I always thought I was bad for being able to hear that ts-ts-ts-ts noise as the rear wheel skips over the bumps as you brake into a corner on the verge of traction. But no, I’m elevated to demi-go status (god status is reserved for those who can ride steep bike length diameter switchbacks with no brakiing at all) in comparison.

Every corner he was locked up under braking, then skidded the back wheel round. No wonder the place is so bad for braking bumps if there are people riding like that!

And it’s not like he was new either, he was as quick/quicker than me (I was on the rigid SS) as he caught up on a decent then I overtook him on a climb and didn’t see him for the rest of the day and there was an alpine bikes sticker on his chainstay so he obviously rides elswhere too.

I’d made up my mind to say something at the bottom of the next decent as it was obvious he was doing it deliberately and skidding the back end round every single corner rather than it being an accidental thing on a one off overcooked corner but he dissapeared so I guess he knew some other cheeky trail and/or was parked somewhere else. Either that or he finaly came a cropper and is lying in a ditch.

On the other hand there were loads of fast as f*** foreign types about yesterday, including a seriosuly quick French bloke on a Lapierre which made me do a double take and a couple of Chec guys who mistook me for local and asked me to show them round before proceeding to force fead me dust untill I eventualy gave up when my chain snapped. Has Cannock become the Alps for people from the Alsp who are bored of chairlifts or something?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I was on the rigid SS

my chain snapped

I can see why you’d want to have a rant

thepodge
    Free Member

I saw a vid of someone doing that last week, every single berm was skidded through.

bluebird
    Free Member

Whilst skidding round corners isn’t going to do the trail any favours, I doubt he is personally responsible for Cannock’s braking bumps.

I think that has much more to do with the type of earth they have and the shear volume of people using the trails. There are plenty of sections of blown out trail and they’re not all just before a corner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can see why you’d want to have a rant

Could be a seperate rant, £15 for an 8s chain at halfords thats £5 on CRC!

rocketman
    Free Member

They’re there because Cannock is basically a dried-up prehistoric riverbed and is within an hour’s drive for 7 million people

Ever noticed the ripples in the road on the way into a corner or near to a junction where everyone brakes/changes gear at the same time?

Same thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you trying to say that most corners or junctions on the road are also dried-up prehistoric riverbeds too? 😕

RobHilton
    Free Member

£15 for an 8s chain at halfords thats £5 on CRC!

Rob likes these:
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-z610-hx-chain-332-41-p.asp

Rocketman…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/video]

bwaarp
    Free Member

I quite like riding braking bumps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rob likes these:

It wasn’t the chains fault, I had the chainring work itself loose and come off a few weeks back and I reckon that probably put enough twist in the chain to weaken it. New chain is a Clarks one so we’ll see how it lasts.

I quite like riding braking bumps.

I think they add something to an otherwise benign section of tail too, but where the trails been built like Cannock and people have put the effort into making the trail a certain way I seems a bit like going to the National Portrait Gallary and adding glasses and a moustache to the paintings because you wanted to.

klumpy
    Free Member

I was riding at Cheddar moto-cross track yesterday, and there were braking bumps there too. Added to that the track was made of mud, which is very slippery. To top it off some of the gradients are arranged in such a way that if you rode at them too fast you actually left the ground!!

How are you meant to enjoy an off-road racing sports activity in these conditions!

I’m glad that mountain bikers, unlike moto-crossers, don’t put up with this sort of thing.

Scamper
    Free Member

Perhaps all the foreign types were over to take our Cannock Strava KOM’s?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps all the foreign types were over to take our Cannock Strava KOM’s?

Based on the avreage speed differentail between them and the Brummies I’d suspec that either:

The KOM list will either be full of Pierre’s and Nico’s, or they didn’t work in IT and drive an audi therefore not bothered about Strava.

scruff
    Free Member

A hearty shout of ‘STOP SKIDDDING !’ at muppets is good karma.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Last time I went to Cannock there were braking bumps even on the tiny sloping straight sections that 5 meter further along had a climb coming up. I would imagine that a guy who comfortably skids around corners with his back wheel locked out wouldn’t have created those bumps as well so the vast majority of the braking bumps I would have thought would have been created by relative beginners who still only look about 1 meter ahead of their front wheel.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Roost – tyres breaking loose in the turn and kicking up surface. If you’re cool, skilled, talented you inevitably generate tonnes of roost when you’re out riding. If you’re not so skilled, but want to appear so, apply the back brake and skid to generate the roost.

Just someone trying hard to appear awesome.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

LOL at mountain bikers moaning about braking bumps. You’re riding an ‘off road’ bicycle, get over it.

Go and ride an mx bike, ideally on a sand track, then you’ll see what real braking bumps are.

jameso

Every corner he was locked up under braking, then skidded the back wheel round

Shred it! Roost it! ‘Rip up the Trails’ TM

Unless you’re roosting, you’re not riding..

Deanfbm has it. Too many vids of loamy fresh new trails ridden by talented pinners watched, too many over-used trail centres ridden lamely in reality?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Roost – tyres breaking loose in the turn and kicking up surface. If you’re cool, skilled, talented you inevitably generate tonnes of roost when you’re out riding. If you’re not so skilled, but want to appear so, apply the back brake and skid to generate the roost.

Just someone trying hard to appear awesome.

Those were pretty much my thoughts.

LOL at mountain bikers moaning about braking bumps. You’re riding an ‘off road’ bicycle, get over it.

I was riding at Cheddar moto-cross track yesterday

CLANGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I think you dropped something, sounded like an ego or a massive dose of willy wave as everyone knows an MX bike is impossible to ride without a 12″ peice. I think I just got pregnant at the very thought of you wheelieing past in ahaze of 2 stroke and testosterone.

I CBA to go back and read the thread, but has anyone actualy complained about the bumps, the issue is with people erroding the trail unnececeraly, you could have 100 people ride it ‘properly’ or 1 guy skid through it causing the same errosion making it rougher for the other 99 and eventualy hastening the trail being washed away down the hill.

klumpy
    Free Member

Mountain biking is motocross (or enduro) with pedals, bumps are part of the sport. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Based on the avreage speed differentail between them and the Brummies

Cannock is in staffordshire and much nearer yam yam land, don’t tar us all with that brush

scruff
    Free Member

Rocketdog, yes but the tourist trails are always full of loud obnoxious Brummie folk shouting ‘ARRR ITS AAAAYYYISSS AYYY IIIIT’. Staffordians cycle stick to trails within the Parish of Berkswich to the North end of the AONB.

rocketman
    Free Member

ARRR ITS AAAAYYYISSS AYYY IIIIT

😆

bluebird
    Free Member

100 people ride it ‘properly’ or 1 guy skid through it causing the same errosion

No it wouldn’t. If everyone rides the trail at exactly the same speed all the way round braking bumps will occur.

link

bwaarp
    Free Member

I was riding at Cheddar moto-cross track yesterday, and there were braking bumps there too. Added to that the track was made of mud, which is very slippery. To top it off some of the gradients are arranged in such a way that if you rode at them too fast you actually left the ground!!

How are you meant to enjoy an off-road racing sports activity in these conditions!

I’m glad that mountain bikers, unlike moto-crossers, don’t put up with this sort of thing.

You sir, win this thread.

Fancy moaning about braking bumps, it’s part of mountain biking (especially downhill) and motorcross. Hit them relaxed and at speed and you just float over them!

IMO Roadies need to stay out of mountain biking and stop turning the trails into smooth hard packed gravel for the rest of us.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I also like the braking bumps (I’ve loads of suspension travel) but its a shame the berms have been destroyed.

Northwind

On constructed trails, braking bumps = damage. I’ve no problem with riding them, but they retain water and let it into the armoured surface, and amplify damage. Soon, it breaks up, and ceases to be an armoured trail, and once that’s happened the trailbuilders have to go back and fix it. Which leads directly to 2 things… 1) people complaining that the trail’s too smooth and sanitised, and 2) Less new trails.

Anyone thinking there’s 2 choices, smooth vs braking bumps, is completely wrong. Constructed trails have 3 stages to their lives- brand new, worn in, and worn out. The good stage is generally the worn-in one, but accelerated damage makes that stage short, and ironically means the trail gets rebuilt and ends up back at the featureless brand-new stage much faster.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Northwind speaks the truth.

if you have to skid round a switchback, you’re riding it wrong.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Descent not decent.

takisawa2

‘ARRR ITS AAAAYYYISSS AYYY IIIIT’.

🙂 Superb. Very funny.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Par for the course at Cannock, I ride there a couple of times a week and you just live with them and enjoy it for what it is, end of the day it’s a red route used by hundreds of people a day if not more – it’s going to happen. I really don’t get the amount of threads on here about bumps on a mtb trail!

If you want less of that kind of thing hunt out some of the off piste stuff or head the extra hour north to the Peaks!

And it’s not just the foreigners who show you up, I was ending a lap heading back to the car the other weekend when an old boy followed me up from the train crossing, overtook me up one of the hills a couple of km later and then waited at MD to thank me for inspiring him to keep up with me at the ripe old age of 60 (over twice my age). Needless to say I was suitably embarrassed and skipped the usual pie and pint on the way home…

Jamesy
    Free Member

Haha funny as ! Best thread in ages, yes it was me who is responsible for all the breaking bumps pmsl

i could get offended at this post due to the lying in a ditch some where but the best part is i didn’t see him he took a short cut haha . I remember being behind you on the descent just before you over cooked it . after that i held the gate open for you over the rail way line and you completely blanked me. i even offered you went in front of me at the climb after the railway but you said noyou have gears mate , you’ve got ge ars go ahead ` so i climb to the top and rested , shortly after that you arrived at the top , i let you go a head then i don’t see you until the top of the next climb, where your talking to 2 guys. i carry on and finish the monkey and see no trace of you…. then i complete a lap of the dog and i never see you again !

So your upset i was behind you when you over cooked it the corner or i was quicker around the monkey. that’s the way i see it. Next time (im over there quite often, as you state and yes i do ride other places ) why don’t you say hello. ill look out for you and you can say it to my face not on a forum ….

Anyway I’ve been mtbing for 15 years and love it, had quite a few friendly chats along the way and tagged along with a few good riders , oh and im now famous my first thread about me on STW after nearly 6 years and lol 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

you, you are/you’re. please.

Northwind – Member

On constructed trails, braking bumps = damage. I’ve no problem with riding them, but they retain water and let it into the armoured surface, and amplify damage. Soon, it breaks up, and ceases to be an armoured trail, and once that’s happened the trailbuilders have to go back and fix it. Which leads directly to 2 things… 1) people complaining that the trail’s too smooth and sanitised, and 2) Less new trails.

Anyone thinking there’s 2 choices, smooth vs braking bumps, is completely wrong. Constructed trails have 3 stages to their lives- brand new, worn in, and worn out. The good stage is generally the worn-in one, but accelerated damage makes that stage short, and ironically means the trail gets rebuilt and ends up back at the featureless brand-new stage much faster.

+1

grum
    Free Member

So your upset i was behind you when you over cooked it the corner or i was quicker around the monkey. that’s the way i see it.

Er, pretty sure it was the pointless skidding that was the issue.

rOcKeTdOg

rocketman – Member

ARRR ITS AAAAYYYISSS AYYY IIIIT

incorrect, it should be

ARRR ITS AAAAYYYISSS BOSTIN AYYY IIIIT

Jamesy
    Free Member

Pointless skidding so you were there then? Oh dear don’t always believe what you read.

I saw him twice and one of those times i was on a hill lol

Scamper
    Free Member

Cannock, Brum, Black Country – they all sound the same to me.

😉

Jamesy
    Free Member

Yow ay from round here then me Mon 😉

st

Some might know that there’s a Brummie influence behind the trails anyway…

Skidding on the trails is sh1t, pointless and disrespectful to the 000’s of hours of unpaid volunteer effort put in to developing a range of trails on a shoestring.

Cutting the crap the FC don’t have the funds to dedicate the resources needed to keep everything perfect (car parking fees don’t pay for all that much) and when all said and done they are mountain bike trails and a level of un-eveness is not unreasonable.

Where it not for people skidding the arses off their bike things would be better but hey ho I guess we have to take the rough with the smooth ;o)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cannock’s problem is it’s made of SAND!! There is very littlt to hold it all together. It should probably be shut in wet weather.

From what I remember of the old follow the dog do you need brakes?

FWIW if the braking bumps don’t fit a bike in them then they are not too bad

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Cannock's braking bumps, I've figured out why they're there (mini rant)’ is closed to new replies.