Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cannock With Kids!
  • jarvo
    Free Member

Hi All, Been doing Llandegla with the kids (4 and 7) quite a few times. Only really sticking to the Green trail, but they love it.

I’ve also taken them around Delamere Forest trails, which they also loved.

I’m thinking of going over to Cannock with them, but only doing something such as “Fair Oak Pools Trail”.

Can anyone advise how long this trail is, in distance .. and also how long it’s likely to take them to get around. Llandegla green takes them about 30-40 minutes at present.

Cheers.

rocketman
    Free Member

A couple of miles at most, totally flat with numerous picnic tables en route. Follow the green route signs from Birches Valley car park http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/leisure.php

Not that I’ve ever ridden it of course *cough*

Scamper
    Free Member

The green is nice for kids especially the short `extra’ loop past the back of the kids play area. The Blue is fire road but pretty long – 6 miles ish?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scruff
    Free Member

One of the (many) problems with Cannock Chase is the dry conditions can make some of the Blue tracks very loose/pebbley/sandy which can be hard work on kids bikes. Fair Oak Valley is pretty flat but the extension up to Marquis Drive is a decent climb, too much for a 4 YO.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Agree with climb up to Marquis Drive is a bit much but my 4 just about 5 year old pushes his bike up. but there are other nice little routes over the chase if you park in the right area

jarvo
    Free Member

Excellent … thanks for all the advice. The 4yo is getting much better at climbs, after being told to stand on his pedals … although will push at times.

The 7yo is a bit wary now, after doing a “front-brake dismount somersault” at Degla the other week, bless her!

They’re recently ridden all around Lake Vyrnwy at about 12 miles, so quite happy to push them hard!

@Rocketman … agreed, we wouldn’t be caught at the picnic tables. I’d leave her indoors to entertain the kids, while I did MonkeyTrail blindfolded! 😛

rocketman
    Free Member

Lake vyrnwy circuit is not too shabby for the little ones you may want to take them on Cannock’s blue route.

Apart from the slightly mental climb out of Fairoaks at the start, it’s generally downhill for the first half of the route which of course means it’s generally uphill going back. There are some more picnic tables at the halfway point though so its possible to refuel etc.

Not sure how far it is But its definitely less than 12 miles, maybe 8 or 9 all fireroads/doubletrack

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Been doing Llandegla with the kids (4 and 7) … Green trail, they love it.

I’m intrigued. I did the blue at Llandegla with mine when he was 4 and done the green with them both a few times (4 and 6) and to be honest I find the green pants. The first bit is way too rough, especially given how smooth so much of the so called black is, and it has loads of short sharp little climbs that aren’t really much fun on a small wheeled bike. Overall the blue is much better as it seems to have a fair bit of decent track to make the first mince bit worthwhile.
    The end of the green in a mess too.

Just in case you’re in the areas, I’d really also recommend the following for a 4 years old:
    Dalby route on the top of the hill (green blue?)
    The blue route at Haldon in Devon is amazing for a 4YO
    Green at Glentress is good
    Minortaur at VyB is very very brilliant
    Afan at CyB is also good but will probably need a push.
    Blue at Afan is great.

danbarker

Fair Oak trail is around 2.5miles and fairly flat all the way round. My 2 year old managed to get round it on his Rothan balance bike without a problem.

He also managed the Minotaur Trail at Coed y Brenin last weekend on his Rothan which is a bit more interesting if you are over that way at all. He only had to be carried the last 500m up the hill to the centre 🙂

jarvo
    Free Member

I’m intrigued. I did the blue at Llandegla with mine when he was 4 and done the green with them both a few times (4 and 6) and to be honest I find the green pants. The first bit is way too rough, especially given how smooth so much of the so called black is, and it has loads of short sharp little climbs that aren’t really much fun on a small wheeled bike. Overall the blue is much better as it seems to have a fair bit of decent track to make the first mince bit worthwhile.
    The end of the green in a mess too.

I completely agree with your description of the green, rough at the beginning and end. I think the lad (4) would be perfectly happy to have a bash at the blue. Possibly with a little whinging during the fire road at the beginning … but it drains the life out of me!

I think my concern is:
    Green is a family route, and people expect to see little ones pootling along. The blue, I get concerned at times that I’m going to have someone come whizzing up behind me, and perhaps be a little impatient that I might be taking it slower than him/her. I guess for that reason is why I’ve not considered taking the family on the blue. Especially the first bit after the fire road, there are the two berms (rollercoaster) and then there’s the shared bit of track with the red before it splits off … which some guys go down full tilt … I’m not sure they’d appreciate having to slam the anchors on because there’s a 4yo on a little bike making his way down to the blue.

Just in case you’re in the areas, I’d really also recommend the following for a 4 years old:
    Dalby route on the top of the hill (green blue?)
    The blue route at Haldon in Devon is amazing for a 4YO
    Green at Glentress is good
    Minortaur at VyB is very very brilliant
    Afan at CyB is also good but will probably need a push.
    Blue at Afan is great.

Certainly thinking about some trips out to CyB, either with or without the kids. Thanks for the heads up on those, I’ll make a note.

jarvo
    Free Member

Fair Oak trail is around 2.5miles and fairly flat all the way round. My 2 year old managed to get round it on his Rothan balance bike without a problem.

He also managed the Minotaur Trail at Coed y Brenin last weekend on his Rothan which is a bit more interesting if you are over that way at all. He only had to be carried the last 500m up the hill to the centre

That’s nailed it then … a trip to CyB is certainly in order. About 55 miles from me, so not too mind numbing for the kids in the back of the car! In fact probably quicker than heading to Cannock!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cannock With Kids!’ is closed to new replies.