Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cannock – tyres?
  • greenman
    Free Member

Hopefully going to get up to Cannock, and maybe Sherwood Pines, a few times this year.
    Anyone recommend me a pair of tyres?
    26″ (don’t start), going on hardtail.
    It’s got 2.3 Conti Vert on front and 2.1 Fire XC pro on rear. The Vert will squeeze in the back but leaves no mud clearance.

Trimix
    Free Member

Black round ones with mud clearance. Oh, and put air in them.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hmm. Yes, you’ll deffinetly need some tyres.

jekkyl

the chase is easy, you’d probably get round easy enough on semi slicks. Just buy the best you can afford and they’ll do fine. I’ve gone round on conti verticals and had no issues.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get too hung up about it if I were you (but I just stick with one set of tyres until they’re knackered and then usually replace with the same).

Cannock is my local trail centre and up until the last couple of weeks used my trusty combo of a super tacky high roller on the front and a 60a on the rear. Worked for me.

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase Triassic bunter pebbles can be very slippy when a bit damp.

matther01
    Free Member

Tbh you’ll get away with most tyres at the chase (unless some parts get really churned up).

I particularly enjoyed using bonty XR4 2.2 last year, but they’re not tlr so have them in the garage gathering dust since I went tubeless.

somouk
    Free Member

Not a fat lot will grip the exposed pebbles at Cannock if they’re damp.

The rest of it almost anything will do.

Dino
    Free Member

+1 Bonty XR4 tlr’s 2.2

vdubber67
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the ones you’ve got?

flip
    Free Member

Round with knobbles on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Round with knobbles on.

+1, they’ve been excelent on my trips to cannock.

greenman
    Free Member

Quite happy to drag mi’sel round on present set up, don’t normally change tyres but just wondered if I gain much. I believe some people have more than one set!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Quite happy to drag mi’sel round on present set up, don’t normally change tyres but just wondered if I gain much. I believe some people have more than one set!

I’ve about 20

Doesn’t mean I’ll ever actualy bother to change them though, but by keeping a set of summer tyres in the shed and mud tyres on the bike it’s scientific fact* that we’re gaurenteed good weather.

* more tyre production leads to more global warming, leads to warming**.

**reality may vary.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

don’t forget your permit to ride

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yes, you’ll need your permit for the chase.

As others have said most tyres will get you round but my preference is a Super Tacky High Roller on the front and a 60a Larson on the back, both 2.35. Absolutely fantastic combo especially if you don’t mind your back end getting a little loose.

clunker

remolds

tazzymtb

Not a fat lot will grip the exposed pebbles at Cannock if they’re damp.

nates do very well 😀

shortcut

It really doesn’t matter.

paddy0091
    Free Member

4 inch

abductee
    Free Member

Cannock. Supertacky on the front and 60A on the back them pebbles are slippy as **** and after all the snow and frost you’ll be needing the best rubber you can get. Tread pattern less important as it never gets that muddy. That’s if it’s even open at the moment.
    Pines. Compound doesn’t matter but tread pattern does. Knobbly spaced mud clearing (nobby nic)on the front and fast rolling with a knobbly edge (racing ralph) on the back.
    Your existing combination isn’t too far off the mark. I would change the front for a 2.35 single ply minion or high roller and keep the rear.

emac65
    Free Member

The bike I was riding today had a Mountain King on the front & a Ralph on the back,it was fine. I wouldn’t use a super tacky anything,even if it was given to me.Which has happened,HR -used it once,never again…
    The stones are not nearly as slippy as people make out,you may slip off one but you’ll usually hook up on the next one…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cannock – tyres?’ is closed to new replies.