Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Cannock on a hardtail.
  • alpin
    Free Member

I honestly can’t think of anywhere that isn’t rideable on a hardtail.

MTFU and learn to ride. You tart.

As Bullroar asked is there snow / ice ? as couple of us was heading up Monday if ice free .

matther01
    Free Member

I actually prefer a HT at Cannock, but mine have been a Soul and a Ti frame so pretty comfy no matter what. My first experience on an Orange Crush did leave me sore for a couple of days though…but I hated that bike!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bullroar
    Free Member

For the most part the trails were ice free today. There were a couple of places where it was a bit slippy but they were obvious to spot; notably on the lower part of lower cliff and some of the drops on the final section back to the car park.

The puddles on the Cliffs were deep and cold 🙂

All round a good ride on a 1*10 BFe with minimal body armour.

Paul-B

Saw a woman ride a shopping bike complete with a shopping basket on the front down Lower Cliff once…takes all sorts. Nobody died, just go try it yourself.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t ride a hard tail at Cannock.

After years of riding one and being uncomfortable I finally made the switch to a full susser and wish I had done it sooner.

I just don’t see the point in a hard tail off road. I find them bone jarringly bad.

On the other hand riding a full susser makes each ride so much more enjoyable.
    I found riding a hard tail just beat my body up.

I don’t understand this “it’s more enjoyable on a hard tail” nonsense.

metruscan
    Free Member

I only ride Cannock on a fully rigid. Used to go on a 26 now a 29er. Take your time and its all rideable rigid. To be honest, I would say decent brakes and the correct tyre pressure are more important than anything else. Singlespeed a bit hardcore for me tho.

metruscan
    Free Member

I remember seeing a woman with the basket on the front of her bars as well! Respect! I chatted to her, and she was having a riot!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Went for off piste ride over the Chase this morning………couple of cm of snow in areas untouched by others, lots and lots of sheet ice which made it a day that I wished I had flats 😆
    Even some of the fire roads were an interesting challenge to ride up as they were sheet ice on top of the pebbles with a nice coating of water as it thawed.
    The only sections of the trails we rode were from Tackeroo back to Birches Vally and they were fine…….and even the normally slippery pebbles felt like they were super grippy after a few hours of ice skating. 😆

BigJohn

The main reason for people riding hardtails on Follow The Dog and Monkey are that the permits only cost 75p compared to £3.50 for full sussers.

Paul-B

@Suggsey we were on an off piste mission this morning too, yes the ice was bad in some places. Managed to stay upright for 28 miles only to slide off on some ice at the top of my street and twist my knee. Rubbish.

That had nothing to do with what bike I was riding 😛

People get so hung up on having the ‘right’ kit they forget why they ride in the first place

I_Ache
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    The main reason for people riding hardtails on Follow The Dog and Monkey are that the permits only cost 75p compared to £3.50 for full sussers.

FFS! I have been paying £3.50 all this time as I didn’t realise it was cheaper.

RustyNissanPrairie

Best way of finding if something is rideable on a hardtail or not is to slightly pull away the front of you keks – just enough to slip your hand inside. You also need to pull your undercrackers out a bit as well.
    Once you’ve done this, stick your hand down into your undercrackers and have a rummage.

If you find a big hairy dangly pair of matted pube covered bollocks* then you can ride it on a hardtail.

*actual or metaphorical.

jamj1974

t so hung up on having the ‘right’ kit they forget why they ride in the first place

This quite a bit.

jamj1974

If you find a big hairy dangly pair of matted pube covered bollocks* then you can ride it on a hardtail.

So tempted to make a comment but must resist…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Turns out it was perfect for a hardtail and you don’t get your teeth rattled out like the shite rough verderers trail.

Junkyard
    Free Member

good only done it once when lost on a SS guided ride and it was rough due to the braking bumps rather than the actual terrain
    Possibly on follow the dog??
    the cheeky natural stuff was more interesting tbh

beaconjon
    Free Member

Rode both trials today. No real snow on the trials themselves but plenty of ice here and there where the sun hasn’t got to it. We went round at about 9am and it was very quiet.

The decent back towards the main road on the Monkey was pretty icy in places. I had a small off as the front went away. You just have to back off a little in places but generally its fine.

I find the best bike is the only one I have. Works perfectly every time! (2004 S-Works Enduro, great training for the TT season dragging that up the climbs!)

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Cannock on a hardtail.’ is closed to new replies.