Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cannock conditions
  • geologist
    Free Member

Is it a sloppy sludge fest, or still snowy?

Cheers

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve not been for a few weeks, but I know that last week they drained the water that had built up in the berms in the last few sections, so that should be better at least.

rocketman
    Free Member

sloppy sludge fest

^^ this

You should’ve been there on Saturday, it was ace 😛

I_Ache
    Free Member

MrsT do you mean on the Monkey?

I should think that the snow has all gone and its sloppy but not too bad thanks to the temps. Go at the weekend and it will have all frozen again.

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers all, going south with work tomorrow, so will stop off en-route tomorrow afternoon.

motox2k
    Free Member

no snow, round here at the mo, froze hard last night but looks to be thawing now, the trails will be fairly muddy I would guess.

v8ninety

WATCH OUT FOR BRAKING BUMPS!!! OMG YOU MAY DIE!!!
    😉

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks for the warning, will I need my 180mm DH bike for the braking bumps?

🙂

flip
    Free Member

I’ve just been over on my CX bike, it’s like the Arctic, icy and lying frozen snow.

I only fell off once 😐

scruff
    Free Member

Was very cold last night, barely thawing now.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Last time I was there I died on the braking bumps!

Actually no I died of hypothermia from waiting for my brother because he is so bloody slow! Im talking 5-10 mins at the end of each section. By the time we got to Marquis’s drive and I was so fed up and gold we went back to the car down the multi access wheelchair route.

snakebite
    Free Member

Late Sunday was truly awful…. coming back from Castle ring to Milford with beery legs just before dark in meltwater slush….. yuk. was so disheartened I even used my granny ring.

phiiiiil

This morning I (almost) thought I should have stuck to the road across the Chase… soft and muddy under the trees, lumpy, rutted frozen snow out in the open and lots of sheet ice everywhere… I gingerly wobbled my way to work. I’d give it a day or two for the ice to dissipate a bit…

rocketman
    Free Member

…multi access wheelchair route

Met a bloke in a wheelchair with his mrs at the start of Tacks Blast last year. He was reversing his chair back up the start of the trail.

He had got confused between the red mountain bike route and the wheelchair route that was marked in red on his ‘Visit Cannock Chase’ map 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Well, there is a wheelchair route that is a really good blast, so fairs fair.

snakebite
    Free Member

s****steps innit?

rocketman
    Free Member

Well, there is a wheelchair route that is a really good blast, so fairs fair.

Fair comment 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with the section names, which bit is Tacks Blast?

scruff
    Free Member

snakebite, are you (very) offensively referring to cerebral palsy ?

almightydutch
    Free Member

Tacks blast is the section that leads down to Birches Valley Visitor center. Eg: the final section for those who start at the start

I_Ache
    Free Member

I thought that was Tackeroo, the bit that incorporates the scariest ‘drop off’ in the world?

rocketman
    Free Member

Tackeroo is the name of the campsite. The final section is referred to as Tacks Blast on the notice boards which no-one ever reads.

BTW the bypass for the Scariest Drop Off In The World is looking most excellent!

MrsToast
    Free Member

MrsT do you mean on the Monkey?

I should think that the snow has all gone and its sloppy but not too bad thanks to the temps. Go at the weekend and it will have all frozen again.

End of t’dog!

Hoping to get over there this weekend, haven’t been on the bike over there this year. 🙁

geologist
    Free Member

Anyone been over there this morning, ill be arriving in cannock at about 2 ish, is it still too unpleasant?

Cheers

flip
    Free Member

It’s below freezing here, so watch out for the ice sheets..

scruff
    Free Member

Was very cold last night, barely thawing now. Still.

snakebite
    Free Member

Speedysteps m8, no eyed deer what youm onabout.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cannock conditions’ is closed to new replies.