Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cannock Chase Memorial Stone
  • old_mtber
    Free Member

I frequently ride past a stone memorial inscribed “BREMEN 25”. Its situated at the South end of the Sherbrook Valley at the top of the steep climb out towards Marquis Drive. Does anyone know what it commemorates?

wellhung
    Free Member

I run past it quite often, often wondered what it refered to i await an interesting answer.

neilb67
    Free Member

This one

Stone on the edge of Sherbrook Valley

old_mtber
    Free Member

Yes that’s the one. I’m still intrigued about having a stone reference to 25 oak trees planted in the German Cemetary though. Why that spot on the Chase? Why Bremen? Or were the trees donated by the City of Bremen?

scruff
    Free Member

Loads of WW2 enemy POWS were held and died at the camps, and there are other memorials to tragic events during the wars and to the Kiwis who stayed there. BigJohn will know as he can remember the war.

snakebite
    Free Member

3 of his lads fought in the first great war.

iain1775
    Free Member

I thought it represented the involvement of the Royal Warwickshire regiment in the battle for Bremmen after D-Day (actually the last major battle of 2nd world war)
    The regiment had connections with Cannock Chase I think,I seem to remember reading something about them having training exercises on the chase, possibly them that gave name to Kitbag Hill?
    Not sure on the significance of 25, sadly I would assume more than 25 of the regiment died in the battle?

grantway
    Free Member

you sure Bremen is not 25 miles away ?

neilb67
    Free Member

Theres another memorial that mentions the 25 oak trees and 25 years of friendship between Bremen and Staffordshire

Mark of friendship - Staffs - Bremen

old_mtber
    Free Member

Thanks Nellb67. I reckon that answers the question – 25 years of friendship between Staffordshire and Bremen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase Memorial Stone’ is closed to new replies.