Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cannock Chase – is it rideable?
  • shedfull
    Free Member

I'm planning on doing Follow the Dog tomorrow. Can anyone report the conditions?

Cheers,

Ian

flip
    Free Member

Yes why shouldn't it be?

I was up there today and it's lovely and frozen and cold, my bike doesn't need cleaning. 🙄

scruff
    Free Member

It'll be FAF*, take in some other stuff than Your Dad if you know your way about, offpiste rides WIKKID in the frozidz.

*Fast as ****

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toaster93
    Free Member

Wow, follow the dog without cleaning your bike after that must be a first!

shedfull
    Free Member

Thanks.

Should've said – I'm from daan saaf and have never ridden it before so I have no idea what it's like and whether it stays rideable when it's frozen solid.

mike_check
    Free Member

hasn't rained up here for a while and not had any snow either, as long as you're dressed for the cold it should be a blast!

Houns

Just got back from there, earlyish start no one was around, Swinnos shut now until after Christmas…FTD was fine, just some wooden bits were a bit slippy

rOcKeTdOg

Houns in riding again shocker!

welcome back xx

Houns

Twice in a week 😯

flip
    Free Member

I'll be up there again tomorrow, gonna try and not to fester over the new icy slab bits 😳

iain1775
    Free Member

Just back from quick spin this afternoon
    All dry, frozen and ground nice and hard (except the cheeky trail up the LHS of the long fireroad climb after section 7 – that is not surfaced and in deep trees so still muddy as hell, but its not part of the official route anyway – but still worth a try)
    Only saw about 4 other bikers all afternoon but there was a fair few families with kids walking the wrong way up parts of the bike trail
    Warning – the boardwalk bits are okay but the new rock section is slippy as hell at the moment, I went flying off the minute my front wheel hit the first rock
    Was testing my new £50 from Tescos Muvi camera so just uploading some vids onto Vimeo as we speak, soon as they are finished will post a link

iain1775
    Free Member

vids from today here –
    http://www.vimeo.com/8355441

and here –
    http://www.vimeo.com/8354876

Apologies for quality and riding, was trying out the camera and mounts so still experimenting and nervous of it falling off! Footage is totally raw as it came off the camera (not great but for £50 can't complain)

Gives an idea of trail conditions at least

flip
    Free Member

That was ok, but probably the hard ground doesn't help either.

Noticed you chickened on the narrow boardwalk 🙄

fbk
    Free Member

2nd the slippy bits on the new rock slabs – ended up on my arse after touching the brakes on the rock! The rest of it was fine, fast and dirt free (except for the cheeky bit through the woods as mentioned above – V boggy in the switchbacks).

The DHs are running well though and the bits over by the Monkey trail were great fun too 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

Norfolk – I hope by that you don't mean the bits of phase 2 that are CLOSED??
    If so then shame on you for riding them and ruining the hard work of the Chase Trails volunteers

flip – yeah I chickened the narrow boardwalk, it may be frozen on the top but that puddle is still a huge pile of sludge underneath, didnt much fancy picking the new camera out of a foot of frozen mud!

flip
    Free Member

Hey they selling action cam things in Aldi Sunday

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12511.htm

Dunno if its any good…

iain1775
    Free Member

the vids above where filmed with a Muvi Mini camera
    smaller than a pack of chewing gum
    £50 – Tescos direct with free action sports mount pack (normally about £132 for camera and sports pack)

shedfull
    Free Member

Update:

Well, we didn't go on Wednesday as planned and then the snow came down. So we went today – the best thing you can do on Christmas morning is ride mountain bikes – and had an excellent ride. The boardwalk was interesting in frozen snow, the Chainslapper lived up to expectations and the swoopy stuff through the clearfelled section was like a ski run with snow on the trail.

My girlfriend has now ridden her first trail centre so I'll take her to Swinley, next.

So, thanks for all the advice and thanks to all the people who put the hard work in to make the trails we rode today.

Cheers

Ian

fbk
    Free Member

Glad you had a good ride – you can't beat riding in the snow, especially when it's nice and quiet 🙂

iain1775 – nope, don't mean that new stuff. I mean the relatively new stuff by swinnertons, leading to the short boardwalk section. Not on for riding closed sections of trail – there's enough less well known stuff there not to have to ruin everyones hard work!

vdubber67
    Free Member

iain1775 – Member

vids from today here –
    http://www.vimeo.com/8355441

and here –
    http://www.vimeo.com/8354876

Apologies for quality and riding, was trying out the camera and mounts so still experimenting and nervous of it falling off! Footage is totally raw as it came off the camera (not great but for £50 can't complain)

Gives an idea of trail conditions at least

Great footage – but was wondering where the camera was mounted – looks like it might hav ebeen a groin cam!? 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase – is it rideable?’ is closed to new replies.