Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Cannock Chase Follow the Dog Werewolf Drop
  • scruff
    Free Member

Drop your saddle a bit, off the trail so you dont get in the way. Go wide as you can on turn in so you are straight on approach, go slowly but quick enough not to wobble, as you go over lip push the bike down and forward ‘underneath’ you rather than just leaning back. be very easy on the brakes, once you hit the dirt look right (where you want to head) lean the bike right, pushing your right hand down & staying easy on the brakes to get you bike going round the bend. Its very loose there and braking hard will just lose traction and you’ll struggle to steer.
    Its a very minor trail feature which a huge fuss is made about as its a bit out of context to the majority of the (red graded) Follow Your Dad trail. Learn it, then repeat so you can ride it confidently and improve Da Skillz so you can then have a go at the rocky bits of the Donkey Trail.

As for the benign uppy rock slab, go at it as fast as possible, keep peggulling & hop frontwheel up like a curb, lean forward & unweight back and hop that up same as a kerb.

BigJohn

Are you feeling all right, Scruff? Giving a sensible answer with no hidden traps? You didn’t get accidentally Christened as well yesterday, did you?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what scruff said*

it’s not that bit that got me last week, the berms on the next section are getting comically loose in this dry weather, tried using my face a s a brake which worked to the extent in that it stopped me quite quickly but the loss of flesh to speed loss ratio makes it a one off manouver

*there’s a first time for everything

lol at big john, it’d be raining fire if someone tried that

scruff
    Free Member

Yesterday was worse than going to church, I was at Alton Towers.

budgierider67

Have a look up at it from the bottom. From that viewpoint it really does look an easy obstacle.
    You could also try doing it as a straight run first rather than worry about lining up for it correctly. There is enough room to do this.
    Together with the technique that others have pointed out you’ll wonder what all the fuss is about soon enough.
    Part of the problem with it is that there are usually a few onlookers there which can initially make you think that it must be harder than it actually is.

Scamper
    Free Member

They put spectator stands up at weekends.

Just so long as you keep off the brakes on the way down, lean back in the way Scruff suggests, you really are down it before you can blink, wondering what the fuss is about.

akira

I think the best thing to do is not stop at the top, easier to say than do but if you just ride the full section using the techniques above you’ll be fine. If you stop and think about it and sit mulling it over it’ll become much bigger.
    Seen a mate psyche himself out of a tiny little drop at Swinley, sitting for about ten minutes before we left as he just couldn’t ride it. It was a bout three inches with easy run in and out but he stopped to look at it and then developed a huge mental block.

digga
    Free Member

Werewolf drop has definitely had it’s fangs and claws blunted since it was first constructed. I’m not sure whether it was a conscious effort to make it friendlier, or the indirect result of running repairs.

However, given normal drop technique and a bit of judicous speed control, it’s ridable on any sort of bike.

To sign off with a housekeeping note; if you’re going to watch other people attempt it (a sensible precaution and surely preferable to simply dismounting and giving up altogether) FFS get yourself and your bike right off the trail and out of the way first and give other riders a chance of seeing what their about to ride.

alcolepone
    Free Member

any one got any before and after pics? it does feel easier now, but is that because we’re all getting better?

flow
    Free Member

Not exactly a drop is it, more of a slope. In fact its so insignificant I’m surprised its even got a name.

billysugger
    Free Member

My nan says she could ride up that on a singlespeed rigid with someone on the back.

h4muf
    Free Member

Every idiot gathers round it as if it’s a 50ft drop off.

joebickley
    Free Member

I highly recommend not hitting your handle bars on one of the trees on the way in. I did and i think i scored 5.4 for the swan dive and roll. I made an impressive dust cloud too.

Took me a while to ride it cleanly again, once bitten etc

Flapjack
    Free Member

Jeesus!!!!! – I face a bigger drop than that just getting the bike out of the shed!

mikey74
    Free Member

Oh FFS, it may be easy for experience riders, but for someone who is new to that kind of stuff it probably looks a little intimidating. Have a bit of empathy!! You were learning once.

jedi

+1 mikey74

onewheelgood

As others have said the WD is intimidating, mainly because of the approach. But if you take a good wide line in and get your weight back over the saddle it is surprisingly comfortable. As the landing area is breaking up, the turn can be a bit tricky, but you can avoid the most broken areas.

I find the best line over the slab/tricky root is actually over the root, just to the left of the slab. Get enough speed, and move your weight forward as you get the front wheel over. I went to Cannock for the first time in over a year and hadn’t seen the slab before – took me a bit by surprise and I only just made it over the first time. Second lap I took the root route and it was a breeze.

Scamper
    Free Member

Well, i passed on it when there was about a foot of ice over it in December.

If i recall according to the trail builders, the gradient once rock armoured has not changed from when it was built, but it def got steeper when it was becoming pretty eroded.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is that video in slomo?

flyingmonkeycorps

Heheh. I did this for the first time yesterday, and I actually managed to stall on the top by getting my stupid wide bars jammed between the trees.

MrsToast
    Free Member

To the locals the other bit used to be known as “Evil Root number 2” …. named by the ever famous Mrs Toast (my hero).

The root got worn through so it is usually now called the evil slab (again Mrs Toast is to blame). ….

\o/

Werewolf drop has definitely had it’s fangs and claws blunted since it was first constructed. I’m not sure whether it was a conscious effort to make it friendlier, or the indirect result of running repairs.

Before it was armoured with rocks, it eroded quite quickly until it was fast approaching what the Forestry Commission regards as a black grade feature. So it was armoured to improve its sustainability, and to keep it red graded.

Logically I know it’s not too bad, not really any worse than the exit to section 8 (the log slope). I think the combination of the tight turn into it, the trees at either side and the turn at the bottom throws a lot of people off though (mentally, not physically…), including myself. Still not managed to ride it after a year and a half, even though I’ve ridden worse up in Scotland and probably on the Monkey too. MINCERS OF THE CHASE, UNITE! \o/

stumpy01

^^^I find a lot of bits at Cannock are like that – worse mentally than physically.

I can do the weirwolf drop OK, but it’s always a bit of a clencher on the approach due to the approach line & the trees.

I struggle on the rocky chute bits of the Monkey Trail if I don’t just get on with them. The first one is OK, but the 2nd and 3rd are at funny angles as you approach and I never seem to get on the right line for them. Bloody annoying!

shedfull
    Free Member

If I remember correctly, isn’t there a sign at the top giving the location to tell the emergency services in case of an accident? I’m sure people see this and are already expecting something terrifying.

We were there on Boxing Day, everywhere was under snow and I was riding a new bike on unscribbed Nevegals that offered no grip at all. So I shouldered the bike and walked round the drop. I fell off on flat straights that day – the wheels would just slide out from under the bike. I really must go in Summer.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I struggle on the rocky chute bits of the Monkey Trail if I don’t just get on with them. The first one is OK, but the 2nd and 3rd are at funny angles as you approach and I never seem to get on the right line for them. Bloody annoying!

See, I’ve ridden the second one, but not the first or the third one. :/

stumpy01

Mrs Toast – Member
    See, I’ve ridden the second one, but not the first or the third one. :/

First time I rode it and didn’t know they were there I rode all three no bother at all.
    Second time, I knew they were coming up & was a bit more hesitant.
    Last time I was there I went over the first chute no problem, but there were people hovering/hesitating at the second & third chutes which threw me a bit & I ended up stopping at the top of them, rather than just getting stuck in…..should have just got on with it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Must admit I struggled a bit (read: fell off then gave up) on some of the rocky chutes on a black option part way round the Monkey. I blame tiredness (35 miles in the Dark Peak on Saturday!) but I just couldn’t line up properly round the corner to get into the steps properly, which resulted in me hitting the big hole at the bottom at a funny angle, half going over the bars and hugging a tree.

scruff
    Free Member

I find a lot of bits at Cannock are like that – worse mentally than physically

Are you talking about the town, the locals, or the Chase ? 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase Follow the Dog Werewolf Drop’ is closed to new replies.