Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cannock Chase at the moment
  • fielonator
    Free Member

Good morning all,

I’m planning a trip to north wales this weekend, riding Llandegla and Stiniog. Was thinking of Cannock Chase on the way up from Kent on the friday.

I’ve just read there are a lot of diversions in place. Has anyone riden there this week and is it worth the effort? If not, then where else should we be looking that’s sort of on the way to Wrexham.

Cheers.

jekkyl

There is not loads of diversions, there are 2, one short one at the bottom of the campsite, the diversion there is a fast fireroad & fun. The other one is a bit longer and also cuts off the big black section, the diversion there is a fireroad climb. All the rest of it is open and you’ll have a great time. I’d be more concerned about the heavy rain forecast all weekend :o(

st

Heavy rain forecast over here today’s through until Monday, the clouds are building and starting to leak just now :o(

As above there are diversions but not too many to spoil a ride around the trails.

somouk
    Free Member

We’ve had a bit of rain over the last two nights but things have dried out well.

Even with heavy rain Cannock trails tend to dry well and you just get the odd large puddle or muddy section. Still worth stopping in if you’ve never been before.

iain1775
    Free Member

Eastridge

ThePinkster

iain1775 – Member
    Eastridge

But IIRC Eastridge is only about half the length of the Follow The Dog & Monkey Trail.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above the diversions are a non-issue in fact the one by the campsite is pretty good

Its raining a lot at the moment but I predict it will dry up overnight and tomorrow morning conditions should be optimal.

They better be because I’m going 🙂

Toasty

Cannock Chase was fantastic last weekend, it seems to be draining really well at the moment. Couple of minor closures but the rest is riding really well.

scruff
    Free Member

But IIRC Eastridge is only about half the length of the Follow The Dog & Monkey Trai

Tru dat, but its 3 times better riding 😀

nickdavies

Always worth the effort!
    A loop of FTD + Monkey is currently 20K so a few closures but not too bad. I’ve been missing out a couple of the monkey sections cos the best bits are diverted, so it’s a bit more if you do those.

If that’s a bit short and you want something to bolt on to it turn right up the fireroad before the last descent on the monkey (marked insidious incline if you don’t know it, with a log block and ‘V’ gate), take the next left going back on yourself, follow the fire track round to the right and the push up pash to stile cop is on your right, go play up there!

prawny

Went over monday and wednesday, it was riding really well at the moment, maybe a bit too dry if anything. Bit of rain wouldn’t hurt.

It’s been OK today, I thought it’d be worse looking at the forecast but just a couple of decent showers. I’ll be there Saturday definitely, possible before work tomorrow.

Diversions aren’t much of an issue either. Quite enjoyed the pootle up by the golf course by the monkey, I needed a breather by that point.

jekkyl

Sometimes when’s it’s wet up Cannock the best way is just to embrace it. The puddles are horrible, I cut off an old pair of waterproof trousers and put them on over my baggies.

fielonator
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like a good plan after all then. We’re actually going next weekend, my mistake. Hopefully it’ll be fine on the day.

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase at the moment’ is closed to new replies.