• This topic has 60 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by st.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Cannock any good? Or someone want to reccomend me something else….
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Going biking this saturday and was thinking about cannock? It’s pretty short though no? What do people do when they go there? My brothers recently got his new bike and hasn’t been riding for months so his fitness is RUBBISH. Did penmachno last week which was a push for his current fitness. He’s previously been able to do it no problem but wants to take his time building his fitness back up. Marin is a bit of a push for him yet and can’t be bothered with Coed y brenin or Llandegla. So it was Lee Quarry (although this is very short) or Cannock. I’d love to do something in the peaks which I’m still yet to do. However we can’t read maps or find our way too easily so untill we’ve ventured out with someone else it’ll have to wait. Anybody got any info? Sorry if i’ve gone on a bit long. Living in North Wales…

mentalalex
    Free Member

Cannock is good,

evil-ed
    Free Member

Cannock is rubbish

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Is it only 7 miles? Or is there other stuff you can do?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Haha….anybody else?

muenchen1
    Free Member

Nothing to say you can’t do a couple of loops at Cannock but I’d question if it’s worth the trek for you from N Wales. Sounds like learning to map read to explore locally would be a good move for you. Try something short and simple first – get a local map and try a walk with it somewhere you perhaps vaguely know but not totally unfamiliar to help get your bearings.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I know, I’m really eager to get out somewhere to do it but don’t wanna go by myself and nobody else fancies it. It’s too easy to follow signposts sometimes isnt it.

tazzymtb

have a look at ride the clywds on t’interweb….good routes, easy maps and signs on the trails, good routes starting from ruthin loggerheads areas. Very good riding. It’s where i learnt to mountain bike in the mid late 80’s. mind you used to ride from chester to moel famau and then on to llandegla and back as well….oh how i miss my bloody youthful fitness!

rOcKeTdOg

not worth the journey from Wales even if you know the off piste stuff, stay in Wales!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

That should be me! haha. I’ve ridden the moel famau loop and the cilcain short by following a mate ages ago. Which of the others are worth doing?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Being turned away from the cannock idea now. I’ve got a route from MBR of Macclesfield forest thats an option too. Not sure about how difficult it is.

tazzymtb

hmmmm cannock is **** awsome xc riding…..just not follow the dog. Leave that to the trailcentre boys who don’t know the dark side of the chase! Bloody good singlespeeding too! if you ride a fat arse baggy bike 5″ travel plus and have no fitness, then no it’s not for you.

tazzymtb

Macc forest is tops just be prepared for the climb at the start fromteh leathersmithy pub it’s a bit of winch froma cold start. other than that it’s a nice easy route to follow

Telemaster18
    Free Member

And how do you find the alternative routes. Maybe I’ll check out the macc forest one then.

tazzymtb

It’s dark and time for nite ride..good luck with the selection of a riding venue, just remeber getting lost is half the fun, it’s normally when you discover and awsome bit that’s a well kept secret.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Cheers, If anyone else can reccomend anything else in the meantime, let me know. Cheers

jamie01
    Free Member

cannock is crap!!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Seems to be what most people are saying for the main trails.

carlos
    Free Member

Get onto bikemaps.co.uk for maps and routes ready to ride in The Peak and others. Nicely detailed, easy to read, written instructions on the rear, offers several routes and alternatives if you want to link up bits and you don’t have to be able to read an OS map.

Macc forest for a blast after work but not worth the trip from North Wales IMO

HTH

Carl

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Thats brill yeh carl, cheers mate.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Cannock seems a bit of a trek but worth it if fitness levels are not what you want them to be.
    No too many hills, and interesting enough to warrant a 2nd lap for sure.
    It has enough to keep most everyone happy and there are many routes beyond the Red Route, so you can explore.
    I’d say it was about ideal if fitness is an issue at this present time.
    You have the Merida in a couple of weeks time out that way, why not do the 50km too?
    Tim

Rich
    Free Member

Cannock is OK if you’re local, I wouldn’t travel far for it.

And yeah the best bits are hard to find without someone to show you.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Cannock is far from being crap,but if I lived in North Wales,I wouldn’t bother.
    I’ve been riding at Cannock for a few years and rode some stuff that I’ve never seen before. Follow the dog is so so. Not in the same league as Penmacno.
    But as others have said,get the map out.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Cannocks OK, I live an hour away but would rather and do drive 2 hours to North Wales. Whats wrong with LLandegla it would suit your brothers lack of/improving fitness as the first climb has been surfaced to make it a piece of piss!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

We’ve ridden llandegla to death. That’s been part of his building fitness “regime”.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

What about Climachx anyone done that? How does it compare to other routes mentioned

Nick

I like Cannock, there’s plenty of excellent stuff if you know where to look, follow the dog is easily as good if not better than the trail at Llandegla, the monkey run is excellent too.

I reckon it’s worth going to if you can get a local to show you round, dip in and out of bits of FtD and have a good time.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I think I might try Cannock actually now. What’s the worst that can happen. I could hate it and never go again but I may like it. It’s somewhere new so it’ll have some interesting bits anyway.

Ti29er
    Free Member

As an aside: What’s a decent time ’round FtD now? 45 mins? I’ve heard about sub 30 mins but was that the older route?
    Tim

takisawa2

If your in North Wales mate then head down to Nant-y-Arian.
    That Summit Trail is excellent. As regards your brother’s fitness, there is a big climb but its just a gentle fire road, out of the wind in the trees & its just a case of sitting & chatting while you spin away.
    If you do go do the little bit around the reservoir on the shorter route also, its a nice little addition.
    You mentioned the MachX…brilliant. Best final descent in Wales I reckon. To be honest its nothing more than a fire-road climb, bit of singletrack & into the descent.
    Cannock is my local run. Unless your passing I wouldn’t recommend driving over for it. The FtD is good for an hours ride but the best bits of the Chase are further afield. The new FtD, thats under construction at the moment, promises to be good but I gather its a way off yet. If your keen to have a few hours round Cannock Chase drop me an email & you can hook up with me and a couple of others. We’re no fitness gods but can pootle away for a few hours. Riding here for some 20yrs or so has given us a few routes that can take in some nice trails.

takisawa2

Ti29er…45 mins av for me if done without stopping, but I’m not exactly fit. I reckon a pro would be sub 30 mins if he/she had a clear run. Trick is not to collapse in a heap after the fire road climb, as lots appear to do, just spin slowly to the next (& best!!!) bit.

j-claw
    Free Member

You’ll need a permit if you’re going to ride Cannock. They’re available from the Wimpy in Hednesford.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Cheers takisawa, i’ll drop you an email then if we end up goin. Cheers

mAx_hEadSet

part of the whole fun is going out and trying them.. why ask / listen to anyone here for any idea.. just go and ride around clocaenog and try to discover the old cyffylliog challenge or if you want to drive just go to Aberystwyth or even the Brechfa.. or even head north to the lake district.. they have trail centres custom built for those who feel to inadequate to read a map

Oxboy
    Free Member

takisawa’s right Nant’s a great ride out, if your fed up with Llandegla then try there, it seems a more ‘natural’ trail. The long climbs a grinder rather than a killer and the last run in, . . . well what can I say, fast flowing singletrack with switchbacks that thrill and exhilerate as much if not better than anywhere else Wales has to offer. Last time I did it about 3 weeks ago the adrenalin was flowing and all the hairs on my neck and arms were standing on end!!!
    I really cant recommend it enough!

Ti29er
    Free Member

What permit? Don’t listen, there are no permits.
    Turn-up and ride.
    I’m there next Friday for 2 laps only as I’m riding the Clic24 that w/end, but I’m in the Cannock area with time to kill, so it seems logical.
    Will try for 2x 44:59 (!)
    Tim

HTTP404
    Free Member

is Sherwood Pines any better?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sherwood is ok – nice tracks around Sherwood Forest and over to Clumber – a bit too “organised” for my liking but had a good weekend there with my lad a couple of weeks ago.

If you do decide on the Peaks (Dark Peak) couple of us would be happy for you to come along with us – stick a post up if you do.

rOcKeTdOg

Ti29er, you ride without buying a permt???
    you are spoiling the trails for others!

😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have a fishing permit.
    Will that suffice?
    circa 1975
    T

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Cannock any good? Or someone want to reccomend me something else….’ is closed to new replies.