Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cannock advise
  • superfli
    Free Member

We were planning on having a wges recce at afan tomorrow, but weather scuppered plans. Thinking of cannock instead. I’ve not been before, but by sounds of it, it’s pretty flat and smooth, a bit like Swinley. I’m thinking of taking the switchback instead of rune? I love riding the ht, but not as comfortable on big gaps/jumps- are there many of these? What’s stile cop like? Also ht is a lot easier to clean 🙂 Thanks

hammyuk
    Free Member

No idea Superfii but I may be up there too depending on weather tonight.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ll look out for you 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

YGM 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cannock flat 😆
    The little scrotes have been round with their back brakes on far too much so it’s braking bump galore in places.
    I can do follow ya dad and the monkey in 1:45 so you may want to do a bit extra. It’s rideable on a hardtail/fatbike or full suss quite easily. Couple of black sections which are rocky and if you mince you will get caught out but other than that it’s a pretty good trail centre with some nice fast descents. Lower cliff with the big berms is worth re climbing and doing a couple of times
    Stile cop has more to offer jump wise.
    Plenty of parking 4 squids for the car park, cafe ain’t bad but a bit pricey as normal.

rOcKeTdOg

No real hills at cannock, short and sharp a better description. Lots of puddles after today’s rain & it’ll be slippery on the pebbles

mikertroid
    Free Member

I like Cannock-nice and quick and you can do a couple of laps either side of lunch making for a nice day out.

I’ve been quicker on there on my 29er HT than my full bouncer. It’s all doable on either but the grit is like grinding paste in the wet!!

superfli
    Free Member

It’s starting to sound more and more like Swinley, which I don’t particularly like 🙁 gutted weather in afan will be pants. Day passes don’t come often.

mattbee

If you’re driving up from home I wouldn’t bother with Cannock, it’s a bit of a mission & in my opinion not worth the drive time. At least Swinley is sub 90 min, even if it is a bit ‘meh’. At least it’s rideable without getting that muddy!

superfli
    Free Member

Yeah, coming from Portsmouth. I think we will go to Fod instead

jekkyl

Cannock will be puddletastic. It’s been raining all day. I was considering Cannock tomorrow and I live 30 mins drive away, I’m going natural and rocks instead,,, macc forest.
    And Op it’s advice unless it’s past tense advised.

postierich
    Free Member

Portsmouth tp Cannock 😯
    Portsmouth to FOD 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

Portsmouth 😯 😯

scruff
    Free Member

I was thinking of being helpful until you said you were considering driving from Portsmouth to Cannock Chase. I’ll now go and find the roflolcopter and fly you to exmoor instead.

takisawa2

15 mins from Cannock, been raining all day.
    Be surprised if there weren’t some wind damage too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Bugger

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Cannock is a nice (apart from the brake bumps, who the **** brakes that much on XC trails??!!!???!!) something for all trail centre. The tech bits and last descent are the best bits IMO. Given the current non-stop rain even if it’s not raining as you ride the puddles will keep you nice-n-moist!

Definitely do Stile Cop. It consists of short multi session DH trails with some tasty drops and jumps if your game, most can be chickened if your not! Try the easiest run first if your new to that kind of thing 🙂

Oh Portsmouth, I’d only drive up if you have worn out all that’s on offer down your way!!

slimporcini
    Free Member

bring some spare brake pads

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There is a section at Cannock called “Pain in the Hardtail” (or something like that). This may give you some clues as to which bike you should take. Now before the hand-wringing “you-can-ride-it-on-a-hardtail” brigade chip in I will say that of course you can ride it on a hard tail. You can ride it on a rigid single speed if you’re keen. However it’s not all bike park smooth and groomed like some modern trail centres are. It’s pebbly and rough in places; not so rough you need suspension, but rough enough that you’ll need to be out of the saddle on a hardtail to not get too battered.

As for braking bumps, they are prevalent. Cannock does have quite a few berms of various sizes and you’d have to be going really really slow on the approach to not need any braking, or a riding God. Unfortunately too many people leave it too late to brake and the bumps get bigger and bigger.

It is a fab trail centre and worth a visit, but a 6 hour round trip from Portsmouth sounds a bit keen when there are so many other arguably better locations to ride that are similar distance or nearer.

rOcKeTdOg

rough enough that you’ll need to be out of the saddle on a hardtail to not get too battered

Imagine having to stand up on a hardtail! Riders really are spoilt by FS sofas these days 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve done my apprenticeship on bone-shaking fully rigid bikes and I still ride a fully rigid SS from time to time. I just think a full susser is a better tool for Cannock especially if the OP is thinking of hitting Stile Cop. There’s some big jumps up there.

superfli
    Free Member

Unfortunately all the big day out trail centres are over 3 hr drive for us. There is local stuff, but been riding that 2 times a week for years, and getting a day pass, we often nip over to afan! Surrey hills isn’t too far, but fancied something else. On our way to Fod atm, just passed fly up which is looking pretty neat 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cannock isn’t really a “big day out” trail centre though. If you have a local to guide you round the off-piste you could probably fill a day, but as someone said above, you can do the Monkey Trail and Follow the Dog in under 2 hours (more if you like to stop). That said, if you like sessioning jumps and stuff, Stile Cop can keep you busy for a few hours, more if you know where to look 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

I rode the monkey last week for the first time and really enjoyed it, a really good balance of descending to climbing. Hardly any fire road and some nice technical sections. No reason it can’t be done on a hardtail, but probably more fun on full suss.

rocketman
    Free Member

The last few months have been a real test of Cannock’s official trails

They get wet and there are puddles but compared to the apocalyptic conditions off-piste one realises just how bad things could be

Fine testament to the trail builders

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cannock advise’ is closed to new replies.