Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cane Creek inline tuning advice
  • trusty

Evening all. I’ve just ordered a Cane Creek inline for my bike, a vitus escarpe 29er. It’s not listed on the Cane Creek website so I’m looking for some tuning tips. The standard shock is a Rockshox Monarch rt3, Custom tune HVI ML 380. Rebound settings pretty much middle, 2 bands added for progression. Any suggestions on settings? I can’t log into the Cane Creek lounge until I’ve got the serial number when it arrives. Ta all

callmetc
    Free Member

nothing on the lounge for vitus.

it’s a easy shock to set up anyways and comes with a good guide that’s easy to follow.

had my shock almost 100% after just a few hours playing.

Mugboo

I’m no suspension tuner but the booklet that comes with it is very good. Go to your favourite riding spot that contains everything from drops to Jumps, rough stuff, etc, then follow the guide. If it’s still not quite there you’ll need to add spacers.

trusty

Cheers. I’d had a look at the field tuning guide, just wondering if there were any short cuts!

poah
    Free Member

you can get a rough idea of LSR by doing the kerb test, and youshould be able to dial in a bit of LSC just by cycling around the flat. HSC and volume spacers on the trail.

Mugboo

Are volume spacers so easy to fit that you can do it trailside? Mine was second hand and has some installed, it rides OK but I’ve swapped frames so may need to alter it. I think I’ll get it serviced before I fit it.

chiefgrooveguru

Looking at the kinematics, I’d guess at LSC on the lower side, HSC on the higher side and at least one large volume spacer. Less damping if you’re light and vice versa.

poah
    Free Member

volume spacers can be fitted without taking the shock off if you have access as they are not a complete ring. taking sliding the air can down is easy enough.

Mugboo

I’ll have a practice while it’s off, aren’t I in danger of getting dirt inside though if I do it on the trails?

callmetc
    Free Member

yeah there’s that risk of dirt getting where you don’t want it.

I can’t access mine whilst it is on the bike because of the close together linkages of my attack trail.

trusty

Chief, it’s only a light compression tune, so why higher on the hsc? Not arguing, just curious.

For rebound as the existing shock is a medium tune but with rapid recovery I was going to go less lsr damping, but more on the hsr. Make sense?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m just guessing but it has a lot of anti-squat and a strongly regressive leverage rate in the first 50mm of travel, hence I felt a lighter low speed compression tune. Normally the high speed compression is to stop harsh bottoming or blowing through the travel, and as the leverage rate is linear for the rest of the travel the linkage won’t hold the bike up so it might need more damping. However you don’t want too much HSC or it’ll choke and feel harsh on small but fast hits. It definitely needs some kind of ramp up on the air spring.

Not sure about the rebound, that varies more with rider weight and air pressure.

trusty

Ta, some stuff to think about. I’ve been running the shock with a couple of bands in it ti resist bottom out, maybe have a play between that and the compression damping

chiefgrooveguru

‘Sadly’ I never got involved in the deep tweakery of my CCDBA because it became rapidly obvious that my average weight and speediness meant the base tune for the Spitfire was bang on for me! But the field tuning guide is good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek inline tuning advice’ is closed to new replies.