Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Cane Creek inline coil on a linear bike, any experience?
  • tmb467
    Free Member

My next shock will be an old Andrex toilet roll tube filled with £20 notes and lashings of Spry Crisp n Dry

Cant be any worse than an X2

riklegge

Have you just had a problem with it?

kimbers

Tmb64, was looking at an x2 what’s so bad ?

tmb467
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the X2 at all – just find some of the comments above to be slightly ridiculous.

Shock performance is as related to the geometry of the bike as it is to the particulars of the spring. “Coil v air” is too simple a breakdown to base comments on and then to conclude the argument by saying the right answer is to spend £1200 on a shock makes me laugh, as does the comment about the X2 being a poor shock cos it’s not shimmed

I’ve read a lot of toms posts – some make sense but I don’t always agree with him. I’ve got a swoop – ridden both the coil (vector hlr) and air (X2) shock on it and think I know a bit about what I’m talking about (and understand what chris porter wanted to get it set up to ride like). The comments about the coil v air he put up there make as much sense as my commment about a toilet roll filled with £20 notes

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Other reviews of the 11-6 from actual users are not so great

The massive MTBR user thread seems positive overall, the odd issue with reliability – but not anything out of the ordinary when compared with FOX threads.

TMB, I didn’t suggest the X2 was a poor shock or that you should spend 1200 quid on a shock. It’s just that shocks like the DHX2 and coil CCDB are harder to setup for bikes with linear rates. Those coils that can actually be made to work, are those that can either be shimmed progressively or where the reservoir can be played around with eg something akin to a boost valve.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also TMB. Even in the MX world, with their heavy duty seals and 200lb+ bikes that can overcome stiction, the airforks like the SFF are still having issues with reliability and stiction. What’s more, they add more air chambers than usual in the mountainbike world to try to get the forks springrate closer to coils. Ohlins and Manitou have gone down this route in MTB…. is that what we really want though? More seals, more stiction, less reliability just to make an air fork feel like a coil? When you could just buy a coil in the first place?

tmb467
    Free Member

Because air is lighter and more tuneable to different frames – air shock tech has moved on massively. Plus it’s all down to the frame and the fork you’re using to balance the ride

I used to be a firm believer that a coil was the best spring for all jobs. Now I’m a bit more open-minded. The vector coil on the swoop rode amazingly well – the Storia that I tried was good too but as Joe said above, it sucked the life from the frame.

Anyway – horses for courses. Have fun riding and thinking

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Where as other reviews on the Storia mention how playful it is. Playfulness is down to setup in a shock that can have the reservoir volume/pressure altered.

You could have had that Storia modified instead of replacing it.

tmb467
    Free Member

that’s the problem with making decisions based on reviews instead of real life

Why mod something when the XFusion was half the price and better for the frame?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek inline coil on a linear bike, any experience?’ is closed to new replies.