Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cane Creek Headsets & baggy head tubes…
  • panzerjager
    Free Member

Ok, so I need to buy a new Cane Creek headset for my Mojo, because it has a baggy head tube & the Chris King I’ve already bought is too loose. I’ve been assured the Cane Creek will fit…
    I’ve looked online & it seems I can buy a complete 40 Series ZS44 headset for the same price as just the top assembly. Surely it’s worth buying the complete headset, plus the separate bottom ZS56, even if I only gain a spare bearing for the top, when it inevitably wears out?
    Please put me right if I’m missing something here, the spec looks the same on both…

Thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have had 2 Forty series Headsets, both came with the frames I’d bought. I wouldn’t buy another, lower bearing life is pish.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Yeah, I keep hearing & reading the same thing, but if I want to ride this bike anytime soon, then I’m going to need to compromise somehow.
    I can order another Chris King, which is designed for my particular problem, but it’ll take a few weeks to arrive, Evolution have none.
    Tempted to try a Hope, but it could end up being just as loose…

sam_underhill

Can hope make you one that’s guaranteed to be a few microns thicker as a special order? Might be worth a call.
    Their headsets are otherwise ace. I’m a convert from CK. I’m done monkeying about with individual bearings and grease guns. It’s far easier to drop a new complete bearing in when it needs it.

iainc

I specced my Soul out with a 40 series and replaced what was left of it with a Hope after 18 months. Wouldn’t go near them again – as mentioned above, bottom bearing has very poor protection from the elements.

Poopscoop

Take frame to lbs that has hope headsets in and say you will buy the headset if they can just try fitment first?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can hope make you one that’s guaranteed to be a few microns thicker as a special order? Might be worth a call.

Contrary to what you may think, Hope are a pretty big automated operation, working to tight tolerances. No way will they be able to do that.

They don’t even offer mix and match headsets in anything other than black.

I’d consider getting the best headset in terms of longevity – King, or one that you can pop the bearings out of without removing cups, and bond it into the frame.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I could never recommend another cane creek. I have had a couple on new bikes but the lower bearing life was terrible.
    I only use hope now and haven’t had to change a bearing or do any maintenance in years.
    I’m mainly commentating as I had a problem with my headset turning in the frame on a new carbon frame. I took my highly accurate work digital callipers to my lbs and we measured all the hope cups they had. There was variation in size but it was absolutely tiny (1000ths of a mm) and didn’t make a bit of difference when we put the biggest on in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely no way that your calipers are measuring to 0.001mm.

andysredmini
    Free Member

100ths then. I’m not sure as most the stuff I use them for the tolerance is 3-4mm if we are lucky. I think they have 3 0’s after the decimal place.
    Edit: They are Mitutoyo Aboslute and have 2 0’s after the decimal place. I’m getting confused as they have 4 0’s after the decimal on inches.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll heed your advice re the Cane Creek.
    I’ve taken the plunge & ordered a Hope Pick & Mix.
    Would like to have used the LBS but I’m working abroad & would like all the bits there for when I return next weekend.
    Got a week off to build & ride it. Fingers crossed!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Headsets & baggy head tubes…’ is closed to new replies.