Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cane Creek Double Barrel owners: Do you ever bother changing to an air shock?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Just got myself a second hand CCDB with ti spring for my Blood (now my only bike.)It will be used for up down and along, but mostly jumpy DH, local woods etc. Do you find the CCDB good enough at climbing you never bother switching shocks?

Northwind

I’m getting to really like mine, it’s a class act but I wouldn’t have one in an allrounder bike… Just the nature of the beast I reckon, if I’ve got it set up so it pedals nicely it’s giving away a lot while descending, and that just defeats the purpose IMO.

But that’s in a bigger bike, maybe it’ll work in a blood (it’s not quite the same but I tried a Van RC in a trailbike and it was awesome on the way down, soul destroying on the way up without propedal

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind, I had a Van RC on my pitch and didn’t find it too bad, but that was only Dalbeattie. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

A spring is different to an air shock. The spring is liner, so its feel / advantages work on any suspended bike.

Personally I prefer climbing on my Transition now its got a CCDB than when it had it Fox RP23.

Ive got it adjusted to provide the type of riding I like. Thats one of its major advantages. Set it to suit you, your bike and your terrain.

So I cant see why Id go back to my old air shock. I think your assuming the CCDB is only for jumping about on. Its just a fully adjustable spring.

Weighs a bit more, but not too much more with a Ti spring.

messiah
    Free Member

Yes I did. I had a CCDBcoil and a Push Tuned Float R. I prefered the grip and doonhall of the CCDB but climbing was better with the Float as it didn’t tend to make you feel like you were going to fall of the back on steep techy climbs (where the CCDB runs deep in its travel… and is slow to return).

The CCDB was better for grip but I could never get rid of that falling off the back feeling… but I learned a lot from running the CCDB and it was the one I tended to leave on the bike all the time as it did the all important doonhalls better than the Float.

I still have the Float as a spare but my Avy tuned DHX Air feels better than the CCDB did so I sold it.

honourablegeorge

There’s talk of a Climb Switch version of the Coil CCDB that might suit you

Trimix
    Free Member

Since I live in the UK, most of my riding is XC, with a little bit of agressive trail riding and a tiny bit of jumping.

So I run my CCDB set up with that in mind.

Stuuey

Low speed compression sorted out any climbing problems for me but it could depend on the frame!?!

carlphillips
    Free Member

highly adjustable so no reason why you cant run it for all conditions, set your base tunes for your riding and record them, then if doing dh set them one way if doing xc set it another, takes minutes.

rockfield
    Free Member

I run mine in my tracer all the time. I did try putting the RP23 back in earlier this year as I was doing a big ride on Quantocks and thought it might be nice to give the air shock another go. It felt awful, and the CCDB went back on straight away. The minor advantage a standard tuned air shock might have in terms of weight/climbing are completely blown away by the CCDB advantages everywhere else.

gdub923
    Free Member

I have heard a rumour that Cane Creek are developing a DB coil with a climb switch which is coming on there Air Shock 2014. This is a rumour just now tho, But with all the AM style bikes coming with Cane Creek shocks its a no brainer for them to develop a climb switch as it makes sense for an all round bike.

chaz
    Free Member

It’s no rumour the have released a press statement saying they will do a ccdb cs in 2014

neilc1881
    Free Member

Got a CCDB on my five. Don’t really suffer on the climbs, yes it bobs like hell out of the saddle but seated climbing it does pretty well on tech stuff, improved traction by far compensating for any energy loss. Loads of my local black mountain and beacons routes are a blast on it. I had initially thought I would get a cheap air can but have decided it would never get swapped. The place I notice the shock the most is on pedally smooth descents such as Nant yr Arian where, frankly, it is too much bike (normally use the hardtail there unless I’ve been up to Coed y Brenin too).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Double Barrel owners: Do you ever bother changing to an air shock?’ is closed to new replies.