Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Cane Creek Double Barrel Air or Fox RP23 Kashima?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I should have realised that dissing a 5 on here would put some backs up, I’m sorry for that. And yeah yeah I’m well aware that an ASR-5 is realistically a very similar suspension design to an Orange. My tongue was very firmly in cheek when I posted that but perhaps it didn’t come across.

The point still stands though – on a simpler non-linkage bike you’re more likely to see a benefit upgrading to a plusher, more tunable shock. Whereas on a bike with a linkage that’s designed for air shocks (E.g. The OP’s Foxy) you won’t see such a huge difference and a coil shock may even be a downgrade. I know a few people tried coil shocks on Commencal metas and found that they felt a bit funny – presumably because the linkage was designed to make the most out of an air shock.

stevede
    Free Member

For anyone finding that they are bottoming there fox air shocks when running correct sag i recommend having a play with some of these http://www.mojo.co.uk/airspacers.html sorted out my shock issues on my Five.

Northwind

flange – Member

It didn’t work for me regardless of how hard I tried to fettle it

Aye, but that’s exactly what I’m saying, it wouldn’t do- they’ve designed the frame in a way that means it won’t suit the shock. But that’s not a fault of the shock.

ryanw
    Free Member

Cheers for all the input guys… IF one would fit, I’d definitely go for the CCDBA.

Unfortunately I shall now troll the internet to find a cheap 2012 RP23 Kashima and ‘make do’… After reading up on the 2011 vs 2012 RP23, it seems the 2012 model with the adaptive logic feature is a little bit better than the 2011 model which doesn’t have it, hence why I’m not going to upgrade my current shock.

For all of you who can fit a CCDB, do it!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ive thought about this & since a CCDB is bit pricey I’m going to get my RP23 PUSHed.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Surely a bos vip’r is a similar price? Will a monarch plus rc3 fit?

skywalker
    Free Member

Surely a bos vip’r is a similar price

Actually they are £100 more RRP.

BOS Review

RP23 Review

flange
    Free Member

There’s some tools on this forum…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That’s helpful..

🙄

flange
    Free Member

What an idiot

Too many fat bar stewards blaming their shocks when they should be laying off the pies.

What, and this is? For the record I’m not a fat ‘bar steward’, I just don’t get on with air shocks. Obviously having a differing opinion to the MTB gods on here relegates me to being an idiot.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Some classic ‘Leith Hill’ jargon on here lol

skywalker
    Free Member

There’s some tools on this forum…

You are obviously king tool.

flange
    Free Member

You are obviously king tool.

Witty clever retort there. Well done you…

messiah
    Free Member

I just don’t get on with air shocks

I find this interesting and I kind of agree, I’d always used coils and I thought the same until I bought my current Fox Float 36 RC2 fork and Float rear shock. The fork was/is fine but I struggled with the rear shock until I reduced the volume on it and had it tuned (and Pushed) by TFT (I sent it back within 14 days for further fettling as I was still not happy, but now it’s nearly as good as the VIPr I tried, but not as good as a coil).

What I’m trying to say is that writing off air shocks because you don’t get on with the one you have is possibly short sighted when they are quite easy to get tuned… and “hopefully” vastly improved.

When I watch clips of scary awesome riders with air shocks on their bikes the air shocks don’t seem to be holding them back.

I’m probably just as quick with the air shocks on my Nicolai as I am with the coils… but I prefer the feel of the coils and since I’m riding for fun I’ll put up with the extra weight. If I was racing I might be tempted to bung the air’s on and save over a lb… but I’m not kidding myself that running the coils is any performance advantage on the downs… I just prefer the feel of the steel Ti 😆

PS… I’m keeping both fork and shock options. Float fork currently on hardtail and Float rear shock in baggy ready for when I want or need it. I like having options as I tend to break stuff 😈

skywalker
    Free Member

Witty clever retort there. Well done you…

I’m sure it does. Some of us ride post-industrial revolution bikes though, where it’s not necessary to have a perfect shock to compensate for the frame’s very basic characteristics charming Northern industrial roots.

I’ve never found my bike (ASR-5)

😆

flange
    Free Member

You keep quoting the ‘post-industrial’ bit, what’s so funny?

skywalker
    Free Member

Whats so funny? You clearly don’t have a clue WTF you are on about, thats whats funny.

Superficial
    Free Member

It wasn’t Flange that posted that – it was me. Seems a bit unnecessary to keep quoting it though – I’m obviously missing the point that you’re trying to prove, too.

chocobike
    Free Member

I rode both Fox DHX Air and Cane CCDB Air on a Yeti ASR-7 bike w/ a Fox 36 180 Talas upfront and the DB Air is noticeable superior.

Just got an Ibis Mojo HD and I’m thinking to swich the rear Fox RP23 kashima coated for the CCDB Air, just need to find out the right adjustments to get the most from the DW-Link rear suspension.

If there’s an upgrade to any stock air sprung rear shocks, that’s CCDB Air or the Bos Void.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That’s not much of an endorsement, a block of wood could be regarded as an ‘upgrade’ to a DHX Air.

It’s worth checking what the suspension curve is like on Mojo as the DB Air is designed to work well with bike that have a very linear or degressive suspension, as it’s designed to compliment the DB Coil on a more progressive frame.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Double Barrel Air or Fox RP23 Kashima?’ is closed to new replies.