Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cane creek DBinline on Orange Five
  • ukmgranger
    Free Member

Has anyone actually got this setup?

Thinking of replacing my RP23 for the inline shock, but can’t find any source on the Internet of anyone actually having this combo.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I was actually thinking of doing the same and have come across the same problem ie lack of info. So I’ll be watching this thread with interest!

Dark-Side

I spoke with TFT just yesterday about a new shock for my Five Alpine, the advice I received was that either the standard DBAir (without CS) or the Float X would be the best shocks for the Five.

I asked about the inline but with the rebound issues for heavier riders (I’m about 90kg in kit) they don’t recommend them. To be honest it sounded like they would have recommended the DBAir over the inline regardless of weight.

robhughes
    Free Member

Wonder why.Seems it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

eddie11
    Free Member

There’s space in the five for the normal dbair anyway isn’t there?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Thanks for your question. Every suspension tuner has certain opinions and preferences on setup. For an individual rider, two suspension tuners will arrive at different tunes. Our opinion, and an opinion shared with PMs and Media on a huge variety of bikes does not indicate an under-damped HSR circuit. However, we respect and acknowledge the concerns of TF Tuned and appreciate that they are looking out for the best interests of their customers through the lens of their tuning preferences. For a rider that wants a DBinline and is being cautioned by TF Tuned, there are other avenues from which this purchase can be made. For those that want to adhere to TF Tuned’s advice, the DBair CS is another great option for a rear shock. Please let me know if you have further questions on this. Cheers!

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ must be a stock answer as I got this when asked Cane Creek

ukmgranger
    Free Member

So basically, no one has a dbinline on a Five then!?!? Seems like the obvious choice of shock for it.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I have a CCDB Air CS on my five..
    Seemed like the obvious choice of shock to put on it to me..

gordonb
    Free Member

I’ve got a ccdb coil on my 5, plush as a sofa, but I can climb out of the saddle

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I’m set up lovely on my Lapierre spicy with my CCDB inline. I’m c85kg in gear, and I’m not using all the HSR. I slowed it down a few clicks from the tune TF tuned put on it for me as a base. So I’m inclined to go with cane creek and say there isn’t a problem over 80kg.

I’ve still got a little fine tuning to do, but i’m super impressed with it. My last 3 shocks were an Avalanche tuned DHX air, ccdb and ccdb air so I feel well qualified to judge it.

jairaj

I’m set up lovely on my Lapierre spicy with my CCDB inline

You have a different bike with a different suspension platform, which has different suspension kinematics to an orange 5. Just because it works well on your bike doesn’t mean it works good for all bikes.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I think it’s a little more relevant than people who’ve never seen one telling the op there ‘not what they’re cracked up to be’. a ccdb air is probably overkill on an orange 5, and the inline is probably the right option…

They supply volume spacers, and have a big range of adjustment, I’m sure it can be tuned for a 5.

tftunedshox
    Free Member

Hi Guys

We just wanted to give you a further update from the earlier thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ccdb-inline-3/page/2 where we were discussing the new DBinlines.

We think the DBinline is a great shock for the money (£360 including mount hardware when you buy from us) and in our view, at this price point, it’s the best inline shock on the market at the moment. We mentioned before that we’ve had some issues with the high speed rebound damping on these shocks (not as much HSR as we’d like) when running the higher pressures that some heavier riders/ some bike leverage ratios require.

We’ve spent more time with these shocks both in the workshop and on the bike and we now think that the lack of HSR damping only really becomes an issue at pressures around the 230 psi mark (which is slightly higher than our earlier comments suggested). However, we have also spoken to riders whose individual ride preferences/ bike set up mean that they are personally happy with how the shock runs at higher pressures.

At TF we want all our customers to have a good suspension experience and so depending on their individual circumstances we would sometimes recommend alternative shocks (e.g. the DB Air or Float X), taking into account the differing intended use and the higher cost of these alternatives.

We are always happy to advise on the phone, so if you are unsure, or just want to chat through the options for you/ your bike then please call us 01373 826800

Cheers, TFT

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a new 650b five a fiends, with CCDB Climb switch version & very impressive especially the climb switch mode no bobbing at all & Fives being single pivot are prove to pedal induced bob.
    The shock came with base settings for a 650B five and just minor fettling & very good, I have a Bronson with float X and it’s far better then the feel of the Float x also small bump sensitivity is fantastic.

Also it’s got the new 36RC2’s fitted & again very impressive over my 34 floats.

Hope that helps

Cheers Mark

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one also with a CCDB AIR CS..
    Oh yeah its mine..
    I can climb so much better on my 5.. I have an anthem with a float CTD from TFtuned.. While the shock works great, it just doesn’t climb that great..
    Keeping traction going is the biggest problem going up hill on the anthem.

ukmgranger
    Free Member

Dont forget people, the topic is DBinline on an Orange Five!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I only have the older CC DBAir on my Five AM. I’m 18.5 stone with riding kit, it took all the volume reducers to get the sag set at 200psi. Climbs a treat with no bob, and descends even better. Obviously the climbing I do is seated spinning circles as I have no lock out on the forks so honking on the pedals climbing is a pointless waste of energy! Good technique can alleviate a lot of issues IMO.

Northwind

This is barely any less useless than most of the psts, so why not… I had a 224 Evo with a DHX in it, it was very good and so I really didn’t believe the CCDB coil could be much better- but it bloomin was, absolutely brilliant. I get the impression that the cruder the suspension design, the more worthwhile it is to get a kick ass shock.

SimonR

Just put a ccdb inline on my Five. Big improvement over the monarch rt 3 that it replaced and still more to come from it with a bit more playing. Only ridden it in the Peak so far so needs a bit of time on some twisty pedally stuff too.

Doesn’t pass the car park squish test but on the move there’s plenty of support with very little compromise in the small bump bounce.

I’m running 180psi (about 20% sag), ex factory neutral settings on the high speed circuit, neutral plus 8 clicks on low speed compression, neutral plus 3 clicks on low speed rebound. Probably end up backing off the LSC a couple of clicks and adding an extra click or two of LSR. Probably run a bit more sag too.

Got a couple of weeks in Spain coming up so plenty of trail time coming up.

ukmgranger
    Free Member

Doesn’t pass the car park squish test but on the move there’s plenty of support with very little compromise in the small bump bounce.

What exactly is this??

SimonR

If I drop the back end of the bike or try to compress it with the bike stationary and there’s very little movement. Feels like it’s way overdamped and the impression is that it will feel harsh out on the trail. For example, if you drop the back end of the bike it almost bounces like a hardtail.

However, once you’re on and riding it doesn’t feel harsh at all – plenty of sensitivity to small bumps.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

SimonR
    For example, if you drop the back end of the bike it almost bounces like a hardtail

Can you adjust the rebound to smooth out & control the bounce?

Cheers Mark

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Whats the general though on the CC Inline after a bit of riding time then? Is it notably better than the Fox factory shock?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cane creek DBinline on Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.