Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cane Creek DB Inline whats the score
  • Sui
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to dig around (including an email to CC), to understand the reason behind the INline version when it comes to price.

I’m about to get a new Spitfire with a CCDB AirCS, which comes in a £450 when bought with the frame (£500 without). Now CC have released the “Inline” at around the £360 mark..

No according to the blurb I can see, it’s supposed to be exactly the same as the non-inline, just slimmed down.. So why am I spending £100 more on an older model Shock??

philfive
    Free Member

the performance is supposed to be the same but you have a big oil reservoir our on the CCDB air so in effect it should be better when it comes to long hard descents than the inline.

chiefgrooveguru

I imagine it’s because it’s less expensive to manufacture and thus can be profitable at a lower price. The ‘older’ version is marginally heavier and will have better damping in intense situations due to the larger oil capacity.

Sui
    Free Member

Phil /Chief, both things I had been considering, and I’m eering on the side that the INline is more suitable for me. (not least for Price)

Not sure I’ve got the option to change now (an order has gone in for the normal DBAirCS), and no idea how long it will take to get an Inline..

if the cost had been the same, I probably wouldn’t have been considering it. 😕

philfive
    Free Member

my CCDB air is superb, if you discount the fact its being warrenty repaired as I type this 😀 the inline will be brilliant but if you can’t swap you won’t be disappointed.

chiefgrooveguru

The piggyback CCDBA does look more badass though! 😉

Sui
    Free Member

badass though!

cant argue with that..

Sui
    Free Member

ooh, just had a nice mail of the Folks over at Cane Creek.

So the Inline, is it seems for a different type of riding, smaller travel bikes. The air volumes are different, though the Inline is still ahead in it’s class.

SO – The Spity is at the upper end of the Inline category, whereas the DBAir is well within its comfort zone..

Still doesn’t really address the cost issue, other than tooling, metal etc..

mattjevans
    Free Member

inline seems to be available up to 8.5×2.5 which suggests they envisage it being used on at least some 160ish travel bikes

AlexSimon

It’s not like the CS version has been out that long op! So I wouldn’t view it as old tech. If you can cope with the little bit of weight and cost of the normal CCDBA, then it’s a no-brainer I would think.

Just look at it as the Float versus Float-x.

poah
    Free Member

did the burb not say it was specifically designed for 140-160mm bikes where you can’t fit a piggyback.

AlexSimon

Having said that – so many bikes are putting weight on in other areas, that I can see a lot of manufacturers speccing the Inline so that they can keep under the 30lb point that many people seem to expect.

Shackleton

As the inline hasn’t been released you can’t really complain that the spitfire you want now doesn’t have one and won’t be an option until September!

The way I had it described to me is that they are for different riding styles. Riding a spitfire in the UK I’d be tempted by the inline, if I frequently strayed onto DH courses or spent a lot of time in the Alps the CCDBA would get the nod.

Just looking at the shocks the piggy back must add quite a lot in terms of manufacturing time and therefore cost. Plus CC may be pricing it more competitively as it is up against Monarchs and Float CTDs on shorter travel bikes where the weight of a CCDBA may be seen as more of an issue.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Any news about when they will be available?

chrishc777
    Free Member

CC say June 16th, will be popping round my lbs later to see if that is actually acheivable

mrhoppy

In the UK mid July but it’s not clear when ‘mid’ actually is which is frustrating as I was hoping to get one for my Alps trip leaving on the 18th July.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek DB Inline whats the score’ is closed to new replies.