Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cane Creek DB Air With Climb Switch.
  • singlespeedstu

Has anyone got one of these?
    Are you using it on a VPP bike?
    What do you think of it? Worth the money or stick with a Push tuned RP23?

neallyman
    Free Member

Just got one for my Bronson. Only had it a fortnight but very encouraged already by initial rides with it. Climb switch works too. What are you fitting it to?

singlespeedstu

Tallboy Ltc.
    What shock did you have on before?

grahamt1980

Got one on my bandit, going to test the hell out of it at the weekend. Can’t wait.
    Sorry can’t give any more on that other than it feels good riding up and down the kerbs on the road (crap weather knackered the testing plan)

neallyman
    Free Member

I had the ctd kashima, I considered a push tune but fancied something different and have had a ccdb coil on other bikes for a few years now with great results. Tbh I think a push tune would feel fairly similar but I just wanted to be absolutely sure of the improvement so went with the ccdb.

mmel
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my Spitfire. Not had too much chance to play with it but the base tune feels really good. It’s lovely and plush but ramps up nicely and I’ve never had any nasty bottoming out. It comes with volume reducers which I could try at some point should I ever need them. The climb switch works very well at removing any peddling bob but it’s by no means a lock out and allows the suspension to continue working.

As others have said before, it’s very easy to over tweak and end up with a terrible set up. One of the reasons I’ve not fiddled too much yet. Much better to make small changes to a base tune and test as you go…

doug_basqueMTB.com

I got one recently and it´s been amazing. I bust my Fox shock, no fault of the shock, and went for one of these on the GSpot. Bought from TF Tuned who were one step beyond amazing, they rushed it through for me because I was guiding on a blown shock and got it to spain in 24hours. They asked me a bunch of questions and set all the knobs for me and it was very close. I have tweaked it a little bit and that is all. I like the climb switch and use it more than I thought I would, it´s not a huge difference but it´s just enough.

Sorry, that´s not VPP but that´s my experience of the shock.

singlespeedstu

Cheers for all the answers so far.
    Sound encouraging.

benpinnick

Not tried a cs on a VIP frame but the standard one is leagues ahead of an rp23 on a Santa Cruz.

messiah
    Free Member

Previous post I commented on.

No idea about VPP, not a system I have experience off.

PS. I have a Float-X and Pike at Avalanche currently which are destined for my new bike :mrgreen:

maxtorque

I have a normal flavour (no CS) DBair on my Zesty, and it’s probably the best single component on the bike tbh! I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the absence of a climb switch as once set up and dialled in, good damping is good damping at what ever velocity the shock is moving at! I guess if you were doing mega fireroad climbs for miles in the Alps or XC racing, then the CS switch might be a help, but in that case, i also wouldn’t be using a ~30lb 160mm bike neither 😉

chiefgrooveguru

First impression is that it’s very very good! That’s on a Banshee Spitfire which is a kind of VPP design. I expected it to go downhill well, I didn’t expect it to go along and up like this, quite shocked to be honest…

singlespeedstu

max.
    It’s not going on a 30lb 160mm bike.
    It will be doing some fair sized Alpine climbs though.
    All the best descents need a bit of pedaling to get to. 😉

shreck
    Free Member

Got one on my alpine 160,the climb switch is great thought the alpine would be used wokk when climbing the hill around calderdale but east the case with the ccdb,got my from tf tuned too all set up ready to go and it was the same price as other places.you will be very happy if you end up getting one and they look great on the bike.

maxtorque

singlespeedstu
    max.
    It’s not going on a 30lb 160mm bike.

Sorry, what i mean’t, was that in my case, any possible slight reduction in climbing performance(from not having the climb switch version) was massively outweighed by it being on a 30lb 160mm bike. I.e. if i had it on some 24lb, short travel XC whippet bike, then yes, i might notice the lack of climb switch a bit more, but on my bigger travel bike, it’s the bike geo etc that is the limiting factor!

singlespeedstu
    All the best descents need a bit of pedaling to get to.

Agreed! 😉

singlespeedstu

TBH I can’t see the climb switch being a hindrance even if it doesn’t get used that much.
    If it doesn’t have any bearing on the shock’s performance when it’s left open i may as well have it just in case it’s needed.

bravesirrobin

@neallyman – I’m thinking of doing the same on my Bronson, so very interested in your experiences. Has the switch been worth the extra weight and cost? Any downsides? …or is it a little too early draw conclusions? Have you tweaked much beyond the recommended base tune?

neallyman
    Free Member

So far I have it on the basetune as per the cane creek website/owners lounge settings. I have the xv can with a large spacer fitted. Feels fine for now but I may fettle (if I do will be slight changes, ie maybe 1 click either way).

Instantly feels better than the ctd. Bike feels like it has 150mm of travel at the rear, which it didn’t always with the ctd 😥
    Difficult to be exact but I guess it just boils down to being more controlled through the full stroke.

Its about 260g heavier than the fox, which is quite a bit in terms of an air shock. It actually feels heavy when you pick it up! But I take it in context and can live with that if the performance is there.

If you are thinking of buying, I bought mine from a retailer in the states, who I saw advertising on ebay under international sellers. I contacted him and he did me a great deal including postage. All in all worked out about £90 cheaper than TF and I had the shock in my hands in about 9 days, which I thought was great as I like a good deal 🙂

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I ran a standard one on my mega. Single best upgrade I think you can do. Awesome

bravesirrobin

Thanks neallyman. Like you I’d forgive the extra weight for great performance. I find the Fox shock makes the rear end quite rowdy/harsh on faster, rocky descents – though if you drive the bike hard (heels down) then it still feels composed but not particularly plush. I guess I would see a significant improvement with the CC DB Air in this scenario? I’m a little concerned that it might make the bike feel less playful/poppy on smoother single track terrain though. Do you find the CS works well in this type of terrain including descending (where you might have otherwise used the Trail setting on the Fox shock), or just for climbing? Or perhaps it just feels great in all types of terrain in the open setting?

I’d be tempted to buy from TF for their customer service (if ever I need it) + I understand that they throw in the mounting hardware for free.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek DB Air With Climb Switch.’ is closed to new replies.