Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cane creek db air on a Bronson
  • julzm
    Free Member

Folks
    Has anyone fitted a cane creek double barrel air to their bronson?
    Does it need the XV can?
    Any tips on setting it up? Obviously this is an individual thing to suit taste but I’d appreciate any sharing of experience.

Thanks

GolfChick
    Free Member

They originally said it needed the XV can but having been tested further they now say the standard can suits it more. Loads of feedback on mtbr of riders using it, I’m trying to decide ATM what to swap my kashima ctd for on my Bronson.

julzm
    Free Member

Thanks golfchick. I have the kashima ctd on mine too but OH got fed up of how good the bronson is and is currently building himself a yellow bronson c. He’s bought himself a ccdba but not with the XV can so just need to decide whether he should buy that too. Sounds like he should start out with the standard can and work from there. Currently just waiting on the wheels arriving and it will be good to go!

Julzm

GolfChick
    Free Member

Only thing that puts me off the cccdb is just how adjustable it is, I hate faff at the best of times! You can achieve close to a standard can with shims/spacers but it won’t be the same. There’s a thread on cane creek lounge with the base settings which gives him a start point.

julzm
    Free Member

Yep seen that. He will no doubt love the faff…it fits perfectly with his OCD. I, however, will just have to suffer it until he gets it right. The bugger is he’ll probably be able to catch me uphill now!

bravesirrobin

I have the CCDB Air CS XV on my Bronson and it’s great. They changed their recommendation on the air can almost as soon as I had bought it :-/ It’s been set up as per the suggested settings on the CC Lounge with 1 large spacer and the sag set to between 25 and 30% …I have been using all the travel but with no harsh bottoming out on my regular ride and trips to Wales …so although I will try experimenting with the air volume it feels pretty damn good as it is! IIRC CC say that adding 3 large spacers will make it feel exactly the same as the standard can so there is no real down-side to having the XV apart from a few extra grammes …having the XV can just gives you a wider tuning range on the air spring. At the end of the day the tuning (including the air volume) is very much down to rider preference, weight and the terrain they are riding.

bravesirrobin

@GolfChick …if you can’t be bothered with the faff then I suspect your best option might be to have your existing shock PUSH tuned by TFTuned …they reckon it’s almost as good as the CCDB-Air at a fraction of the cost (£140 which includes a service).

julzm
    Free Member

Bravessirrobin – at the risk of sounding daft what exactly does a push tune involve? I’ll prob stick with the kash ctd on my bronson, so far it’s been ok but only had it two months and it’s night and day from the old bike.

bravesirrobin

You’ll need to speak to TFTuned to get the full rundown of what they change but all you really need to know is that internally it’s essentially a new shock! They remove the boost valve (which apparently can be blamed for the high speed harshness over rocky terrain) and put a custom shim stack in there to custom tune the shock to your riding preferences and weight. If it’s anything like as good as the CCDB-Air (and according to the TFTuned guys it is) then it is a vast improvement for a minimum outlay …bit of a no-brainer really …probably should have done it myself but I’ve just started to enjoy a tinker 😉

bravesirrobin

Oh and remember to grease your lower linkage regularly …ooer missus …especially after a few wet rides or liberal use of the jet wash …I’ve managed to destroy a set of bearings after 5 months 🙁

cubemeup
    Free Member

i have a Float X CTD on my Bronson and it feels amazballs to be honest. less settings than a CCDB

batman11
    Free Member

You guys looked at the bos vip’r or the new Kurt? When I had this on my TRc it was a great set up plus jungle bring them in now.
    Bats.

philfive
    Free Member

Was just going to say that if you have the XV can just add volume spacers to make the curve more progressive.

Also the climb switch version is very very good.

julzm
    Free Member

Yep it’s the CS version he’s ordered but in standard can rather than XV, sounds like that was actually the correct thing to do. Bike is only just getting built up just now so won’t be finished til next week when hope enduro wheels arrive, can start setting up the shock then.

Then my torture will really begin……

philfive
    Free Member

He will love the CS version.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah i’ve considered tftuned PUSH having had one previously on my zesty and always found them to be okay. I say okay because I couldn’t tell much of a difference between it and stock, the OH always said it was very nice when he rode it, but the OH atm is sending his back for the third time to be rejigged as he’s not happy. The kashima CTD has 6 months use now and needs servicing as its had over 600 miles use as you can tell it needs doing. I’ve been reading good things about x-fusion, apparently the guys there offer custom tunes for different models of bike straight from the off and apparently half of them ride bronsons so Im tempted to give it a go. I sent avy a message recently about getting a float x done by them, they said they didnt think it was worth the float x difference over the CTD so i still dunno.

gazb74
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these fitted to my Bronson C. It’s transformed an already fantastic bike. Does take a bit of fettling to get it sorted out but well worth the effort. I’d be interested in any one else’s tunes to compare.

lozza
    Free Member

I found the DB air CS to transform the bike, I went with the standard can and a TFtuned base tune, which was good enough to really improve the feel of the bike.

Only issue I have is after 6 weeks of moderate riding the bushings and mount kit have play and are visibly worn, but only on the can eyelet (attached to the upper linkage). I’m giving tftuned a call tomorrow, see what they suggest, but I’m wondering if anybody here has seen or heard of similar issues?

Ride on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cane creek db air on a Bronson’ is closed to new replies.