Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cane Creek AngleSet?
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

anyone got one?

im thinking about getting one or am i just wasting my money

BruceWee

Bit of a highjack already but if anyone has tried the 1 1/8″ angle sets from Works Components (or any of the sets from works components for that matter) then let me know how they are.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/new—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a Works Components 1 7/8s -1? headset on my singlespeed. Does what it says on the can, good quality, prompt delivery, slightly fiddly to fit, but straightforward if you have access to a head-set press, some string and maybe a steel rule or set-square.

The Works C stuff is way cheaper than the Cane Creek and works really well – heard a few reports of the CC stuff creaking too – the only downside is that it takes a little more care to fit and it’s specific to the headtube length. I’ve slackened my Pace RC405 using a similar arrangement from Saar, who posts on mtbr and makes custom sets to your spec, and I’m very happy with the results.

I’d use either of the above rather than Cane Creek unless you really anticipate moving the head-set from frame to frame. HTH

slowrider
    Free Member

What bwd said. Works components win.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

what bikes have you guys fitted the works to?

BadlyWiredDog

Mine’s on a ti Setavento hardtail – same geometry as a 2004 Marin Rocky Ridge, 1 1/8 headtube, -1?. The nice thing about slackening the head angle using a headset is that you don’t slacken the seat angle at the same time, which is what happens if you simply use longer forks, so climbing stays good, or maybe better if your seat angle is on the slack side to start with.

The other one – from Ofanaim – is on a Pace RC405 with a zero stack headtube, internal diameter 44mm. It’s a -2? and the change is more noticeable. I kept the lower cup zero stack, so I could run a slightly longer fork without raising the front end, which has worked nicely. I don’t think Works Components give you that option, though I may be wrong.

It’s made the Pace much more stable on fast and steep stuff and it still climbs really well.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

thanks BWD, I was just curious if it’d make a difference if I wanted to slacken the 456 in the future.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The nice thing about slackening the head angle using a headset is that you don’t slacken the seat angle at the same time,

does it not steepen?

Northwind

thomthumb – Member

does it not steepen?

Aye. Not by an awful lot though.

Another Works recommendation here, I can’t see any reason to buy an Angleset instead other than that’s what the magazines said to do. Dirt spent 2 pages wetting themselves over the incoming standard-steerer angleset, “It’ll make old frames usable again”, “It’s a huge step forward”. Er, it’s something you can ALREADY BUY for 2/5ths the price.

Yes, you’re marginally more likely to be able to transfer it to another frame. But you need to do that twice before that becomes a financial advantage, which you almost certainly won’t.

BadlyWiredDog

does it not steepen?

Yeah, roughly by the amount the head angle slackens, but you probably won’t notice and if you do and it bothers you, chances are that just moving your saddle rails back in the seatpost clamp will compensate. If anything, I’d say it’s arguably a good thing as it moves your weight slightly forward, weights the front end more and helps on steep climbs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek AngleSet?’ is closed to new replies.